Taurus Firearm Forum banner

605CH

2K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  KD5NRH 
#1 ·
Does anybody know if the 605CH is still being made or has it been discontinued in favor of the 650 and 651?

#2 ·
Sir Knight said:
Does anybody know if the 605CH is still being made or has it been discontinued in favor of the 650 and 651?
The 605 is still being made; just not in the CH configuration. :mad:

#5 ·
There's a number of members here who removed the hammer spur from their small frames without any performance issues. I know as I'm one of them. Bobbed the hammer from my M85 and its lit off everything I've asked it to.

Steelheart

#6 ·
That's interesting. One of the gunstores that told me that they couldn't order it, I asked if they could get me the regular 605 and a replacement hammer for the 605CH so that I could swap them out and they advised against it saying that the different weight of the hammer would affect how it fired.

#7 ·
I'd heard that myth too. But the only difference that I could discover is that Taurus did a much better job than I did (I wasn't too concerned about looks, only function). Now IF Taurus showed a different shape to the CH hammer on their diagrams I might have had concerns but... Another point on all this is that people have been bobbing the hammers on Smith J and K frames for decades without issues. As long as your springs are up to snuff you should be fine.

There's been some threads about this in the past. Here's one but I know it's been discussed other places:
http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/index.php?topic=1846.0

Steelheart

#8 ·
I bobbed the hammer on my Mdl. 37 S&W. If I had to I can still cock it but I have to start it back with the trigger then grab it with the thumb and index finger of the other hand. I only practice with it dbl. action so no big deal. It shoots fine and is very accurate.
On my 605 I only took off about 1/2 the hammer and rounded it. I can still cock it easy and the hammer clears the pocket or love handles just fine.

#9 ·
Sir Knight said:
That's interesting. One of the gunstores that told me that they couldn't order it, I asked if they could get me the regular 605 and a replacement hammer for the 605CH so that I could swap them out and they advised against it saying that the different weight of the hammer would affect how it fired.
Anybody know if it's possible to go the other way; put the regular hammer on the CH and gain SA capability? I'd like to have the option, though I'd probably still want to re-shape the spur a lot to reduce snagging.

#11 ·
Good to know. Is it possible to order the other parts and still fit them into the CH frame, or is there a difference in the frame itself? If so, which parts would need to be swapped?

(I know I could just go buy another 605, but this one's pre-lock, and just getting parts would be easier to slip past my wife ;D )

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.