Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have read post here about accuracy, or lack thereof? from an 856 defender--2-3" at 7 yards!
Has anyone compared the accuracy of both pistols, 3" barrels, at 15-25 yards? I have a 3" SP101 that I cannot see the front sight very well anymore and was thinking of getting an 856 or 605 but was concerned about the accuracy potential because the gun will also be a "walk around " gun for field use. My SP101, with selected 38 spl +P+ loads are accurate at 25 yards, 3" or so with selected loads, and I would like to maintain the dual use possibilities in a 3" gun? Share your experiences, thanks Jim

·
Registered
G3C T.O.R.O.
698 Posts
I don't like barrels shorter than 4" for any type of handgun. I own a few revolvers, but no Tarus models. My sisters Rossi Cyclops has a 6" barrel and can easily hold very tight groups at 25 yards. Actually, a lot farther is possible with a scope. I used to hunt with my 9.5"-barrel Super Red Hawk with no problems at all, even carrying it was easy using a shoulder holster. Granted you don't sound like you are hunting with your gun, but I would try and rent one at an indoor range and see before you buy it. Here is a list of guns to rent at my range, not a lot of revolvers, but some 4"-barrel models, plus it goes out to 25 yards

.Rentals » KYGUNCO Range

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
I don't think I've shot either of mine past about 15 yards. I've only shot .357 through my 605 and I haven't done any rapid firing with it. The 605 is much snappier than my 856, but other than that, accuracy for both is comparable for me.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Shooters love to blame their guns for accuracy issues. Snub revolvers can be difficult to learn and use well. They require practice to become accurate with. People who expect them to shoot like a 4" semiauto often complain about how snubbies aren't accurate and are only good for "breath distance".

Nope. Learn to shoot your revolver. As long as your sites are straight, the only thing inaccurate about it is the shooter. 7 yards is nothing. I have zero issues hitting my target at 50 feet (my range length) with my 605, 856, 442 or 637. Not because I'm a remarkable human being, but because I've taken the time to practice.

·
Registered
442 Posts
If you can shoot your Ruger well, you will more than likely shoot a Taurus revolver well too. The two guns you mention aren't intrinsically inaccurate, and my old M85 and my new 605 can do 2"-2 1/2" groups at about 10 yards if I do my part (which ain't too often any more as my 75 year old hands aren't as strong at they used to be!)...

·
Registered
77 Posts
I scoured the internet and found the following, for both the 2" and 3" 856
7 yards, 2.2" average group
10 yards, 2" average
15 yards, 2.1" average
25 yards, 3.4" average.

The internet is what it is, your mileage may vary, bla bla bla.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I scoured the internet and found the following, for both the 2" and 3" 856
7 yards, 2.2" average group
10 yards, 2" average
15 yards, 2.1" average
25 yards, 3.4" average.

The internet is what it is, your mileage may vary, bla bla bla.
Thanks M . I have also cursed the internet and found like groups and much worse groups. My SP101 3" shoots good but the sights are not user friendly for an old set of eyes. I think the 856 or 605 defenders have superior front sight and that is why I am considering getting one . Besides, shooters logic, I have a spring kit for the 605 and need to use it ! ;)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts