Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Other than the cylinder being slightly longer for .357 and the rubber grip being longer is there any other differences between the standard model 605 and the standard model 85?

Will the two fingered rubber boot grip from an 85 fit on a 605?

·
Registered
545 Posts
The grip will fit. I find the short grip makes the recoil more uncomfortable

·
Registered
7,127 Posts
cbsaf said:
Other than the cylinder being slightly longer for .357 and the rubber grip being longer is there any other differences between the standard model 605 and the standard model 85?

Will the two fingered rubber boot grip from an 85 fit on a 605?
The 85, 605, 94 et al are the same frame size (Small); the grips are fully interchangeable.

·
Administrator
18,052 Posts
If you are actually planning to use .357 Magnum ammunition, then the 605 would be the way to go. If not, then stick with the 85!

·
Registered
878 Posts
I have over 1000 rnds thru my 605. It came with the boot grip, but I changed to the combat. When I started to pocket carry, I went back to the boot and found it to be more comfortable. The boot is better for bigger hands. It has better ergonomics. The combat grip is slimmer, and is better for smaller hands. You'll see. I can maybe manage five shots of 357 without wearing a glove. It's like hitting your hand with a hammer. On the positive side, the longer extractor rod does remove the shells better. I have had not problem with fouling in the chambers when shooting 38spl, and I primarily shoot it with this load, and use 38+p for carry. It's a good gun.

·
Registered
532 Posts
jwc007 said:
If you are actually planning to use .357 Magnum ammunition, then the 605 would be the way to go. If not, then stick with the 85!
I've never been, what one would call, recoil sensitive, but the 605 recoil impact is significant. It works very well with +P .38 spec. The 605 is 3 oz heavier than the steel 85, and with .357 as a backup, I think this is the way to go. I've had an 85, and I liked it. I have a 605, now. t Cobra, Dick Special, a S&W model 60, and a Charter Arms undercover. Aside from the Cobra, I like the 605 the best.

·
Administrator
18,052 Posts
Actually, in .38 Special, there is yet another option. The Taurus 850, is basicly a beefed up Taurus 85, rated for +P ammunition.

Wouldn't mind having a Taurus 605 if I could get one with a 3 inch barrel, and then I would use/carry .357 Mag Ammo in it! Come to think of it, a 3 inch Taurus Model 66 would be close to that.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have a 605 and use Rem. 125JHP. It is a handful with this load but very manageable if I concentrate. In a stressful situation it is not hard to concentrate
if it is life-threatening. I have been in that situation once and it's like you go on automatic pilot. You act on instinct.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, at first I was looking at a Rossi 351/352 and a Taurus M85SS/M85SSUL. I pretty much gave up on the Rossi and was going to buy a Taurus. I then had to pick between the stainless M85 and an ultralite M85.

That is when I realized the 2 inch M605 stainless is just two ounces heavier (24oz) than a stainless M85 (20.5-22oz depending on where I read). Why would I buy an M85 when the M605 does everything it will do and also allow me to shoot .357 for the exact same purchase price?

So now the decision is do I want an ultralight .38 or a normal weight .357?

·
32,615 Posts
You have to ask yourself if having the .357 magnum capability is really needed and if weight criterea in a handgun are really important for carry or not.

Shooting a rental, friend's snubbie, or an aquaintances might be in order if you never have shot one. This would give you a good idea of what you are in for with either .38 Specials or the magnums.

Muzzle blast from a snub in low light or in an enclose area has and can disorient people or cause a flinch. The noise alone could cause this. Flash can dazzle the eyes in low light and make one lose night vision for a critiical period of time during a life or death struggle. Granted, there are low flash powders being used in some, but not all magnum loads.

A majority of snubbie owners depend on the .38 Special and use proven defense loads with excellent track records that have been documented. The added velocity is going to minimal compared to the bark,recoil, and longer recovery time.

The other side of the coin is short barreled guns heve reduced velocity over their longer barreled brethren. More expansion should take place with higher velocities. There are exceptions to this.

Newer generations of defense ammo are geared toward slower velocity guns. These JHPs can and will expand at velocities as low as 650- 680 ft per second. Penetration of flesh has been increased as well. So has the bullet staying in one piece as it passes through the target.

If one were going outdoors armed legally, then the 605 might be the better choice. Dealing with dangerous animals at home would be another reason. Depends on your individual situation and what you need the gun to do.

As seen here, there are those who can and do shoot the 605 well with either round mentioned here.It fits their needs and niche. Do you really need the magnum power or will the .38 Special suffice for all of your needs?
Magnum ammo is expensive and physically fatiguing to shoot over the same course of practice fire for most. Or it can be.

Hiding the snubbie in a holster on the body goes to the 85, but not by much.

I do own a Taurus model 65 in nickel. It is a handful with the more powerful 125 gr. rounds. I shoot mostly .38s through it and use 125 grain magnum light loads made by several ammo companies if the power level is needed.

There you have it cbsaf. That is about as much as we can do to help with this.

Boot or abbreviated handgun grips are going to make the recoil factor more pronounced if used for CCW carry.

There is the school of thought that say with these kind of grips that putting the pinky finger under the grip and resting it directly underneath there will help control the gun. This also works with single action revolvers as well. Or can.

·
32,615 Posts
One last thing. Many defense scenarios will result in only one hand being able to fire the gun. Warding off close in weapons, being injured early on in the fight, and grappling with the criminal are just some of the reasons this could and does happen. One cannot plan their scenarios to use both hands. These things happen by surprise for the most part and under circumstance not of our own choosing.

Do you or will you shoot the thirty eight or the magnum better under these circumstances? Have to be realistic about these things.

·
Registered
45 Posts
my 605 actually has the short grips. I have shot a 605 with the longer grips with the exact same ammo and din't notice a real difference over 5 rounds of 125gr sjhp .357 magnumthough each gun. although the first day I shot it I put 20-25rds of the same through it and could barely use my hand for about a day.

·
Registered
128 Posts
The model 605 now comes in a 3 inch barrel.

jwc007 said:
Actually, in .38 Special, there is yet another option. The Taurus 850, is basicly a beefed up Taurus 85, rated for +P ammunition.

Wouldn't mind having a Taurus 605 if I could get one with a 3 inch barrel, and then I would use/carry .357 Mag Ammo in it! Come to think of it, a 3 inch Taurus Model 66 would be close to that.

·
Administrator
18,052 Posts
captainamerica said:
The model 605 now comes in a 3 inch barrel.
Sweeet!! My shopping list is growing again!

·
Registered
545 Posts
I shot my 605 yesterday. I use the Combat Grip from Taurus and 125gn. 357 jhp. ammo. I only shot 75 rnd., but there was no discomfort in any way. It shot point of aim out to about 65-75 feet. This was a combo of Dbl. & Sgl. action. I shot better than with my SP101. I think the action is smoother on the Taurus.

·
Super Moderator
35,214 Posts
One thing I've found on my SP101 is a full grip (hogue monogrip in this case) is desirable with heavy .357 loads. My M85 hides better, is pocketable, the SP101 isn't, the grip profile is larger, the gun is 27 ounces vs 17. I really think .38 +P is plenty for self defense, but yeah, I like .357 power. For me, it's just a matter of carry mode. If I carry IWB, might as well go with .357. For a pocket, only the little M85UL will do. I don't have a 605, but I'd expect I'd want a bigger grip on it, too.

I shoot about as well with my Taurus 85UL as my Ruger. The Ruger's trigger is VERY smooth, but the Taurus's trigger is very smooth and lighter, one of the slickest out of the box triggers I've ever used, pretty amazing. I'd expect the 605 to be good in this regard. I bought a Wilson spring kit for the Ruger and will address this malady (if you can call it that). Really, as smooth as the trigger is, the weight of it doesn't bother me. The little Ruger shoots very well.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have a 605 that I love. Have shot 200 rounds with not a flaw. Personally I do not see the point of using .38's thru this gun. In a firefight you will not hear or feel the gun fire. The brain is programmed to focus solely on the bad guy at hand. I use Rem. 125JHP as they are much more powerful than any .38+P.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I failed to say on my above post that I have a set of Hogue monogrips on the 605. They made a world of difference in felt recoil. My second choice of ammo is WW 145 ST's.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts