Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Kinda thinking about getting a 605 SS, but thought i would seek opinions of actual owners first. Your thoughts on your 605?

·
Premium Member
16,955 Posts
What are your plans for this five shooter? CC, Range, Hunting?

·
Registered
3,497 Posts
Its a five shooter, think "J" frame, and I love mine. My 605 & 650 are in CCW rotation on my belt. Reliable, powerful, ammo abundant (now the drought is over) inexpensive, and varied (many different 38/357 loadings out there-all go bang in my Taurii). My 605 has a bobbed hammer and the 650 came from the factory DAO so the guns handle exactly alike. SS is a smart way to go as well, IMHO. I have never had a failure to feed, fire or eject. I carry speed strips and speed loaders, and have just replaced the Taurus boot grips with Taurus combat grips (a little longer and easier to use speed loaders with). If you go with a 605 you will be pleased, I know I am.

·
Registered
15,646 Posts
Very nice revolver for concealed carry.

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
Very nice little gun. Handles well, Wolff offers springs for it, lots of holsters and grips available so you can find the best carry method and fit for your hand.

The sights can be a little difficult to see, but adding a color of your choosing can fix that.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Kinda thinking about getting a 605 SS, but thought i would seek opinions of actual owners first. Your thoughts on your 605?
Good gun. I've had one for 7 or 8 years.

I don't care for the factory boot grip. My preference is for an Uncle Mike's "Combat" grip, but good luck finding one now. They've gotten scarce and stupid expensive.

·
Registered
7,039 Posts
The 605SS2 is a great gun; highly accurate, totally reliable, and inexpensive. Bought my first XMAS 2010 & second one in 11/2012 which my wife quickly appropriated for herself! LOL!!!!!

Reactions: Qwiks draw

·
Super Moderator
35,078 Posts
Very accurate, very reliable, very powerful, very easy to conceal. What's not to like? Mine's the stainless Poly model.

·
Registered
3,972 Posts
I had a Shiney Stainless Steel model bout a decade ago..it had 2.5 inch un ported barrel...had a factory bobbed hammer....great revolver..had to sell due to sickness....I really liked this gun.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
My 605 SS with a 3 inch barrel is snugly nestled in my bed side table drawer loaded with some Critical Defense .38 rounds.
She has now 900 rounds of everything from wadcutters to .357's cycled through her without even one hiccup.
This amazingly able little gun is tasked with potentially saving my life and I cannot recommend you owning her enough.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
What are your plans for this five shooter? CC, Range, Hunting?
I usually carry a Colt Combat Commander, but thought the 605 would be better on camping trips and hikiing in parks and such. I just wondered if it had any issue i need to know about

·
Registered
239 Posts
Gotta agree with all the above. Bought my SS 605 because I wanted a .38. One that handled 357 was a plus. I liked it SO much that I went and bought a blued model to keep it company in the safe! :) I really like and enjoy these 2 guns. Carry the SS one so I don't scratch up the finish on the blued one!

·
Registered
472 Posts
My 605 SS with a 3 inch barrel is snugly nestled in my bed side table drawer loaded with some Critical Defense .38 rounds.
She has now 900 rounds of everything from wadcutters to .357's cycled through her without even one hiccup.
This amazingly able little gun is tasked with potentially saving my life and I cannot recommend you owning her enough.

What grip is that?

Bought my SS 605 because I wanted a .38. One that handled 357 was a plus.
When I bought mine, I went in looking for a .38 snub. The jump from blue to stainless was $25, and the jump from .38 to .357 was the same. I went with both .357 and stainless, and haven't regretted it at all.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Ive got one and I wont ever part with it.I put a crimson trace laser on it. Carry with speer gold-dot 135+P 38s and 140gr 357 Barnes Vortex

Attachments

·
Registered
69 Posts
In hindsight, I would have spent the extra $150 and gotten a SP101. Having the revolver jam up after 26 rounds because they extractor rod backed out is not what I consider acceptable for a CCW. I wouldn't be as hesitant but just looking at the condition of the threads on my brand new revolver did not fill me with confidence. The overall construction is nice and it is easy to take apart. The rebate on the M85s right now make them pretty hard to pass up. I just like being able to have one gun shoot 2 different cartridges. That's my $0.02.

·
Super Moderator
35,078 Posts
In hindsight, I would have spent the extra $150 and gotten a SP101. Having the revolver jam up after 26 rounds because they extractor rod backed out is not what I consider acceptable for a CCW. I wouldn't be as hesitant but just looking at the condition of the threads on my brand new revolver did not fill me with confidence. The overall construction is nice and it is easy to take apart. The rebate on the M85s right now make them pretty hard to pass up. I just like being able to have one gun shoot 2 different cartridges. That's my $0.02.
I had a SP101 for a while. It was my ex SIL's and he'd gotten deployed to another tour of Afghanistan and was going to pawn it. I told him I'd give him 250 for it and sell it back to him if he wanted when he got home. To my disappointment a year later, he wanted it back. :D It was a nice revolver, but HEAVY. It was nearly as heavy as my 3" M66 Taurus and the 66 hides just as easy as any 3" SP101 (except the one I had was a 2.25") and carries just as easy and the 66 is a 6 shooter. It's also a might more accurate than the SP101 was, so I really didn't miss the SP101 THAT bad. About the only thing I preferred the SP101 for is the Hogue grip I had on it was a round butt profile and the Hogue I have on the 66 is a square butt style, a little longer. Not a problem especially now that Texas has open carry, so any noticeable printing is no big deal.

THEN, I ended up buying my 605 Poly, 2", round butt profile, and only 19 ounces. I carry that thing everywhere, especially in summer months under a T shirt. It's a strong design, reliable, well timed, accurate, and it is un-noticable during carry. I carry it on my belt. I could carry it in a pocket with the short grip, but that's where my 85SSUL rides. :D

Nothing wrong with the SP101, just a might heavy for a carry gun. If I'm going to carry that heavy, I'll just up it a few more ounces and carry my 3" Taurus 66. It's about 34 ounces and a SP101 3" is 28 ounces. A steel 605 is 4 or 5 ounces lighter than the SP101.

Reactions: slong115
1 - 20 of 25 Posts