Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a question about the sparks flying when firing 357 rounds. First, is it normal for these snubbies to shoot flames out the sides when using 357 loads? I haven't owned or fired a 357 snubbie in a loong time and it was my old S&W, think it was a K frame. This thing throws flame so far I can't even shoot 357 loads when my wife and I go shooting. It has literally burned her when she was 5'-6' away from me. It doesn't seem to be a problem using 38.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Got a question about the sparks flying when firing 357 rounds. First, is it normal for these snubbies to shoot flames out the sides when using 357 loads? I haven't owned or fired a 357 snubbie in a loong time and it was my old S&W, think it was a K frame. This thing throws flame so far I can't even shoot 357 loads when my wife and I go shooting. It has literally burned her when she was 5'-6' away from me. It doesn't seem to be a problem using 38.
Your issue definitely does not sound like "normal" flash from the gap of cylinder to barrel or forcing cone, which I believe is what you described. Have you contacted Taurus customer service? How many rounds have you fired through yours and was this an issue from the very first round, or did it develop as it was fired repeatedly?

FYI, I am considering purchasing the same model at a LGS and logged in today to look for feedback on the functionality and durability. I did a search on this forum and found a post which described a problem with the cylinder fitment and/or alignment on a similar model 651 which could be related to your issue. It was titled "Taurus Model 651 Protector" dated Feb, 2009.

Best of luck with getting your issue resolved. Looking forward to seeing what you learn.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I would look at the ammo foremost. Muzzle blast is a fact of life and totally a result of barrel length and ammo. I believe the normal cylinder gap is less than .005" on most revolvers and none of my 4 Taurus show any excess blast IIRC. "Out the sides..." is from burning powder/gas "leaking" out of the gap between the cylinder and barrel. Every revolver has some but "burned 5-6 away" is definitely a problem. Only other problem that may cause this is the timing may be off (the cylinder may not be lining up with the barrel properly and not getting a good cylinder to barrel fit and/or shaving lead.)...

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies. I have probably 300-400rnds of 38 through it but less than 50 357. I ran 38 till I got used to it then tried 357. Timing seems good but haven't checked gap. I guess it's done it sense new, at least sense first rounds of 357. I haven't fired it sense that happened. I didn't remember my old Smith 357 doing that but that was a long time ago. I'll contact Taurus and see what they have to say.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Could be you're confusing muzzle blast (and yeah compared to .38 special) is substantial. I did a video of my daughter shooting my Taurus 689 .357 with actual 357 loads and when viewing the video I was surprised at how much flash came out of the 4" barrel. Enough so it looks like it is shooting a ball of flame. IDK if I can post it, but bottom line the difference in flash between .38 and .357 is pretty startling.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I agree there is a lot of muzzle blast but my wife was to my left about 5-6 feet when it got her. When we go shooting it's out in the desert and we setup a folding table, about 5' long. She was at the other end when it happened.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Cylinder gap blast can be very substantial and even dangerous. I saw video of a shooter holding a hot dog next to the cylinder of a 357 Mag revolver. On firing, the blast cut the hot dog in half. Other materials (paper, cardboard, cloth, canvas) exhibited similar results. 35,000 psi jetting out of a .004" gap is powerful and easily cut a finger in half, a major downfall of Revolving Rifles...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts