Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Super Moderator
35,780 Posts
Slow powders with the heavier bullet weights are the magnum way especially in snubbies. I shoot a 140 JHP over 17 grains of 2400. That's a half grain under max in the Speer number 11 manual. It fires 'em at over 1300 fps/550 ft lbs.

Reactions: xiholdtruex

·
Super Moderator
35,780 Posts
Range masters are usually gun biased. He probably was surprised it didn't blow your hand off just because it was a Taurus. :rolleyes:

For getting powder fouling off the front of a cylinder, nothing better than Break Free Powder Blast. That stuff is awesome. :D I doubt powder fouling caused any key holing. That's more likely leading of a lead bullet.

·
Super Moderator
35,780 Posts
Lol funny thing is he could not tell the brand. But I do agree he told me I should have a all steel smith lol

Is key holing very common with lead bullets? Could it be because of the charge? Only began happening with the 158gn ppu 38 specials and federal mags
Yes, leading gets bad enough it will cause the bullets to key hole. And, those federal mags, if they're not jacketed, likely are the culprit. But, I've had +P level .38s with soft lead bullets lead the barrel pretty bad. I like to end any shooting session with lead bullets with a cylinder or two of jacketed stuff to get the lead out. I've got some 130 FMJ .38 just for that purpose. :D I have his new wire brush thing from Outters, came with a brush and mop and this weird looking brush for getting out lead. I've not had a chance to try that brush, though.

If your barrel is leaded and you look down the bore with a bore scope, it will be obvious. :D

The way to stop leading in a cast bullet is either to increase antimony or tin of the alloy or just get a gas check style mold and gas check 'em. That stops leading for at pistol/revolver velocities. I push a 165 grain cast SWC with gas check to nearly 1900 fps out of my 20" Rossi carbine without a hint of leading. I load that bullet in front of Li'l Gun just for the carbine. The powder is slow and has a rep for scorching forcing cones and revolver frames.

Reactions: xiholdtruex
1 - 3 of 3 Posts