Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. New to the forum, so I would appreciate some expert insight.

I have owned a 605 for quite a number of years and it has proven exceptionally reliable and actually quite accurate all things considered. I also have (today) purchased an 851 ultra lite as an alternative for carry.

After shooting roughly 40-50 (standard pressure 38) rounds at the range this weekend through the 605, the revolver's action was getting quite 'tight' and it seemed like the trigger was stacking heavily. I got home that evening and began cleaning the guns. I was having significant trouble cycling the 605 by thumbing the hammer. It was on only 1-2 of the cylinder positions. The other three seemed tight, but i could rotate the cylinder by moving the hammer to single action and releasing. I had convinced myself to send the revolver to Taurus as I literally couldn't pull through the trigger or cycle manually by cocking in a couple of cylinder positions. However, I decided to go ahead a clean in advance. After all, why not send Taurus a clean gun for service? This is the first hiccup of any sort with the gun.

After cleaning with gun scrubber, the action was operational again. I could manual cycle through all five positions and the trigger pull was fine. Everything seemed fine and trigger pull returned to smooth and normal. Can't say as I have experienced this before? What type of obstruction could have occurred? Should I be concerned that it is some sort of indicator of pending future mechanical failure? Or, just some obstruction that was somehow introduced into the action? I intend to get it back out in the next week or two, but was interested in insight in the meantime.

I clean after each shooting and have perhaps 400 rounds through the gun.

Thanks!

Dan

·
Premium Member
15,931 Posts
I have had one of my revolvers that was acting tight in the action after shooting, but just like you after cleaning it was back to normal. I did notice I had heavy build up on the front of the cylinder, and back of the forcing cone when I opened it up for cleaning, and the gap was not present (almost) prior to cleaning. Probably, was build up in that area that was binding, I am just glad you were able to get it running right again thru cleaning thoroughly.

·
Registered
878 Posts
You also may have had some crud stuck under the extractor star. That will make the gun tighten up as well. It could have been dirty ammo. I shot some PMC target ammo made in Korea and my 605 got so dirty and crudded up after about 40rnds I couldn't even finish the box.
Soft lead target rounds don't shoot well in mine. I had an instance with some Magtech Lead round nose. The lead was so soft that after the gun heated up it was turning molten and accumulating around the outside of the forcing cone. After enough built up, it was flying back at me in chunks! The cylinder gap in many revolvers is larger than it used to be. Specs have become more sloppy. I think this allows more debris to blast out of the gap and create problems. My older S&W revolvers have tighter gaps and have never produced the problems I have had with my 605. I suspect this is not unique to Taurus products but is probably happening with other Manfucturers as well. Stick to hardcast lead or FMJ and you will have less problems.

·
32,496 Posts

·
32,496 Posts
What the others have stated also plays a very big part in things.

So take look at all the stated areas. Taking care of these areas is normally solves the problem.

Could be other things.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Qwiks draw / jkwas -

Thanks for the thoughtful and detailed responses. I have read and noted the information. Very helpful!

Dan

1 - 7 of 7 Posts