Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took my new 605 out to the range today but the excitement wore off rather quickly due to a couple of problems right out of the box.

After my first 6 shots of 125 grain Sig Sauer .357 Elite Performance ammo the cylinder locked up. Couldn't even pull the hammer down. I was able to release the cylinder and remove the cartridges, and eventually while empty I was finally able to get the hammer and cylinder to move again. This happened not just with the Sig Sauer .357 ammo but also Winchester 130 grain 38 spl +P Defender, and American Eagle 130 grain 38 spl standard pressure cartridges. It didn't happen every time but enough to concern me.

In addition to this, I noticed small particles were flying out (didn't matter the ammo) and hitting me on the hand, arm and cheeks. One of them actually drew blood on my cheek as I was standing three feet behind and to the side of my wife while she was shooting it. That was enough for us.

Long story short it looks like I have to send my revolver back to the company. Pretty disappointed, especially since this is a new gun. How do these revolvers even get past quality control with issues like this right out of the box?

Photo is after I had wiped the blood off my face. This one stung a little!

IMG_4547.JPG

·
Supporting Moderator
5,350 Posts
Timing is off, bullet fragments are hitting you in the face...............
You may want to pull the side off your revolver and give it a good cleaning,
could be that the cylinder catch is not lifting fully to lock the cylinder in place when firing...................

·
Super Moderator
17,735 Posts
Yup, loud's right. Your chamber and barrel are not lining up. This causes the bullet to strike off-center, shaving off a piece and spitting it out.

If it's cycling, try cocking it as slowly as you can. Then try to rotate the cylinder by hand. I think you'll find that it will rotate just a tad and "click" into lockup. If it does lockup properly, then you have a more serious issue.

·
Registered
36,790 Posts
ahh yes the reason for eye protection!
send that puppy back while Taurus will pay that 50-70 dollar shipping back to them.
I would not continue to shoot it for your safety.
will the Gun Shop where you bought it ship it back for you??
they should.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yep, I always wear eye protection just for this reason.

Glenwolde, the cylinder will rotate some and then "lock" into place as I pull the trigger back. Not sure what that means as I am more of a semi auto guy than I am a revolver guy, but it's going back for sure! In fact, I plan on taking it back to the store after church today to see if they will return it for me. Hopefully it won't take long to fix it and then I can report back.

·
Registered
3,253 Posts
Timing issues seem to be a common complaint on the new revolvers. Soft metal is another. I had a Model 66 a few months ago that had been back for timing. After two boxes of magnum rounds, I had chunks coming out of the cylinder face, cylinder was dragging on the barrel on three charge holes, and two charge holes cracking from the inside out. Shop gave me a full refund towards another pistol, and I chose a Ruger Blackhawk instead. The shop has since dropped all new Taurus pistols because of their QC, CS, slow turn-around times, and the chunk they took in the shorts over the recall fiasco. They were an Authorized Taurus Dealer for years.

·
Super Moderator
17,735 Posts
Quit screwing around and send it in.
Yeah, either way it's not like it's something that can be fixed by most owners, regardless.

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Glad you brought it back and they're able to ship it for you. Nothing worse than a pistol assembled by a 3 year old!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've also had problems with my 605! The firing pin is moving freely, to the point of blocking cylinder rotation. Haven't put more than a few hundred rounds through it, and the handful of times I've called their customer service I get stuck on hold for 45+ minutes with no response, after which I've invariably had to hang up. I knew Taurus wasn't the *most* reliable company going in to the purchase but would've figured manufacturing a functioning revolvers would be well within their means.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
CYCLINDER IS out of time,also the shaving of particle from cyclinder into forcing cone are an additional timing issue,and last but not least Initially it sounded like primers were bulgin out against firing pin wall.DONT attempt any repair or disassembly let Taurus correct the problems as you have several. Congrats for wearing saftey glasses,you could have shot your eye out kid !

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have had 2 brand new 605's over the years. Both out of time right outta the box, both sent back for repair to Miami, both no better when they got back. These were purchased between 2011 and 2013. Sold "as is" to a local pawn shop with full disclosure. Some of the trouble centered around the timing of the cylinder but also there was an issue with the "fit" of the trigger assembly in regards to the "post" in the frame that it rides upon. In both guns, the posts were smaller than the holes in the trigger. Go figure. Best of luck in regards to the resolution of your predicament. "Carry On" as the folks at Taurus used to say on the phone.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yeah, it's really too bad. I loved how the gun shot, but what's the point if it isn't working properly? It's been a month and I haven't heard anything. Trying to get on Taurus' website to see if I can track the repair progress (it didn't work the previous time I tried it), but I can't even get the website to come up. Starting to regret my purchase. Thinking I should have paid the extra $200 on a SP101.

·
Registered
4,952 Posts
Shame.

I've got a 605 that has been nothing but good.

Hope you get it resolved soon.

Reactions: taurustoter

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Got a hold of Taurus today...took about 35 to 40 minutes waiting on the phone to talk to someone. They said my gun has been repaired and I should have it in about two or three weeks. They said they replaced the yoke, aligned the cylinder, and a couple of things I can’t remember right now but I have it written down. All things considered I guess the turnaround time isn’t all that bad. But then again, the true test will be when I receive the gun and get to shoot it again.

·
Registered
3,749 Posts
I bought mine used, filthy dirty, neglected, rust spots under the grips. It cleaned up nicely and functions perfectly.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts