Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, I have a brand new out of the box Taurus 605 that has not had a single round put through it. I loaded it with Federal .357 125 grain and .38 125 grain Remington UMC ammo and the rounds are so tight to the frame of the pistol that it takes excessive force to even free wheel the cylinder. Anybody have any idea if it is this particular ammo that is causing this ? Is it something that is a flaw in the pistol ? Any information would be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
15,931 Posts
The standard question, is have you cleaned the gun thoroughly, including each charge hole, and under the star. The shipping gunk could be causing the problem. Note I said could, not is.

Sometimes people polish the charge holes with good effect, smoothing out little problems there.

However, it could be as simple as the rod that does the ejecting, could be loose? It tightens counter clockwise, if I remember right.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I had read in other forums that some had trouble with.357 158 gr.
I've put 20 rounds through my new 605 poly with no trouble, win. 38+p, rem. 38 sp 130gr. and rem. 357 mag. 125 jsp.
mine hit low at 10 yards I think i'll stay with 125 or 130 gr.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I will be taking my BNIB 605 out this weekend to put my first rounds through it. I will report back if I have any similar issues.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, the gun is completely clean and the problem is still there. I cannot notice anything that looks out of place and the ammo is still rubbing against the frame. I free spin it to check before I cock the hammer back because I'm afraid the added stress is going to add to the problem. Any other ideas ? I am very disappointed in my purchase. I have never heard of someone buying a brand new firearm that did not work right out of the box. If firearms sales weren't final I would be taking it back tomorrow.

·
Registered
234 Posts
I free spin it to check before I cock the hammer back because I'm afraid the added stress is going to add to the problem.
it takes excessive force to even free wheel the cylinder.
Can you explain exactly what you are doing here? Doesn't make sense to me. With the cylinder closed you should not be able to spin it. If you can then you have bigger issues.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I've been half cocking the trigger so that the cylinder will free spin to check the resistance. If I completely cock the hammer there is so much resistance that I know it will lead to internal problems over time. It just seems like there is not enough clearance between the primer and the frame of the gun. It’s discouraging to hear that someone else had the same problem.

·
Registered
234 Posts
I've been half cocking the trigger so that the cylinder will free spin to check the resistance. If I completely cock the hammer there is so much resistance that I know it will lead to internal problems over time. It just seems like there is not enough clearance between the primer and the frame of the gun. It’s discouraging to hear that someone else had the same problem.
Got it... makes sense now :) Sorry for your troubles! :(

·
Registered
185 Posts
I've had a new 605 Poly since I joined the forum, but haven't been able to shoot it due to being so busy moving to the country and prepping my city house for sale. Almost settling down now. But I am getting nervous with several recently posted 605 related issues in this forum. I have some .38 spl semi-wad cutter rounds waiting for some target shooting time. I will be watching this and the couple other threads too. Mine was a display model, so, although Academy would have me to believe it is same as "NIB", I still wonder about that sometimes too.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Zenmag, I am in the same boat as you, purchased my 605 Poly this weekend, should be able to take it out on Wednesday, but I put some hopps cleaner thru the revolver wheel and a steel brush. man the thing was dirty. It was a brown and sticky residue in the cylinders. I am hoping that I do not have any problems, my partner purchased the last Stainless steel 605. So opt for the poly, It seemed lighter to hold, and I really like the look, seems like a little pit bull if you ask me. Cant wait till Wednesday, I will start with some 38 first then move up to 357 rounds after warm up. Good luck.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Zenmag, I am in the same boat as you, purchased my 605 Poly this weekend, should be able to take it out on Wednesday, but I put some hopps cleaner thru the revolver wheel and a steel brush. man the thing was dirty. It was a brown and sticky residue in the cylinders. I am hoping that I do not have any problems, my partner purchased the last Stainless steel 605. So opt for the poly, It seemed lighter to hold, and I really like the look, seems like a little pit bull if you ask me. Cant wait till Wednesday, I will start with some 38 first then move up to 357 rounds after warm up. Good luck.
Let us know how it does. I really like the Poly model a lot. I am sure the various issues are as isolated as most any other issue with other models. But with a large gathering of owners at one forum, the few issues will surface and stand out a bit. I am going to clean mine very thoroughly too before I get around to firing it. I have a few .357 (148 grain) rounds for defense, but would like to fire a couple after warming it up with several .38's. Heck, I need to know if it can handle what I intend to load it with for defense. I am hoping to have the opportunity to get in some target shooting within a few weeks now.

·
Registered
46 Posts
No problems, put 70 rounds down range today. Only a few were 357 rds as you know that round kicks like a mule in this gun. Very satisfying shooting with 38 special rounds, very satisfied with my purchase. I bought the 380 mini about a month ago, fell in love with taurus revolvers. Very simple and easy to clean. I have another 380 auto, so I thought it would be nice to keep share the same ammo. Then I started looking for ammo and noticed that I could only find 38 special in my local area. I have a SW 19-4 that I never shoot that my dad gave me. So I wanted something in a snub nose 357 so I could have versatility of both 38/357 rds. Did my research and want a Matted Stainless 605, but they are hard to find. Did some more research and went to the gun show found a 605 poly, the rest is history. Purchased IWB holster and now she is certified for carry. I did have small problem with the mini, she is at taurus for repairs and more likely the wife will get this one once she able to control the trigger. Like I said the 357 round kicks like a mule but I really enjoyed 38 special rounds, they were very manageable and comfortable to shoot. Hope your time at the range is as pleasant as mines.

·
Registered
185 Posts
No problems, put 70 rounds down range today. Only a few were 357 rds as you know that round kicks like a mule in this gun. Very satisfying shooting with 38 special rounds, very satisfied with my purchase. I bought the 380 mini about a month ago, fell in love with taurus revolvers. Very simple and easy to clean. I have another 380 auto, so I thought it would be nice to keep share the same ammo. Then I started looking for ammo and noticed that I could only find 38 special in my local area. I have a SW 19-4 that I never shoot that my dad gave me. So I wanted something in a snub nose 357 so I could have versatility of both 38/357 rds. Did my research and want a Matted Stainless 605, but they are hard to find. Did some more research and went to the gun show found a 605 poly, the rest is history. Purchased IWB holster and now she is certified for carry. I did have small problem with the mini, she is at taurus for repairs and more likely the wife will get this one once she able to control the trigger. Like I said the 357 round kicks like a mule but I really enjoyed 38 special rounds, they were very manageable and comfortable to shoot. Hope your time at the range is as pleasant as mines.
Thanks so much for reporting back with your experience! That is very good to hear. I still like to believe that in a forum like this, with such a large gathering of Taurus owners in one place, issues will appear - as they would in any other manufacturer oriented forums with a large following. :cool:

Heck, I stated in an earlier post that I would clean my 605 Poly thoroughly before I shoot it.... I had forgotten that I cleaned it within 24 hours of purchase. She is ready and waiting for when I have the chance. Possibly the weekend of 2/23 I'll have my first clear opportunity. Moving and trying to sell a house all at the same time can be VERY time consuming. :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I haven't been able to update lately, but just to let you know I have sent my BRAND NEW pistol back to Miami for repair. They did pay for the postage, but also told me that it could be up to six weeks to get it back. If it comes back in good working condition, I'll probably put my negative feelings to rest. My gut tells me I got ripped off and that it will be the same when it returns. As far as the poly... that was the first one I picked up before I bought the steel model. I picked it up and tried to release the cylinder and it jammed..... I tried to cock the hammer and it jammed. The clerk then said "yeah...I think the poly's are junk". I should have took that as a hint and stayed away from Taurus altogehter. I'll update you on what happens with my pistol once I get it back.

·
Registered
29 Posts
i bought a 605 blued yesterday.it was the only one i could find for a hundred miles it seemed and it was the last one they had. in store everything looked good. got home and cleaned it and loaded it and noticed the same thing where the cylinder would be very tight and not want to advance. i looked at my ammo and noticed the gun was scratching the brass and there was a brass residue on the back of the frame. i will be calling customer service tomorrow. hopefully it will be something they can fix quickly as i haven't even got to shoot it yet =(

·
Registered
185 Posts
I wonder how closely snap caps simulate the size and shape of actual ammo? I still have had no opportunity to fire my brand new 605 Poly, but I have been dry firing it with snap caps to get a feel for it as well as smooth the double action trigger pull some.

The snap caps I bought are labeled as .357 magnum. My cylinder does just fine - not tight in any way. Double and single action firing work just fine (pulling back hammer, etc.). I hope this is a sign that mine should work fine with live ammo. But I suppose the proof will be in the pudding of live rounds eh?

·
Registered
18 Posts
i bought a 605 blued yesterday.it was the only one i could find for a hundred miles it seemed and it was the last one they had. in store everything looked good. got home and cleaned it and loaded it and noticed the same thing where the cylinder would be very tight and not want to advance. i looked at my ammo and noticed the gun was scratching the brass and there was a brass residue on the back of the frame. i will be calling customer service tomorrow. hopefully it will be something they can fix quickly as i haven't even got to shoot it yet =(

I have the same model and it acts kind of like yours. I loaded it with win 38 sp target and it binds up same as yours after one shot. It is like every cartridge moves
to the rear and catches on the frame. I never tried 357 in it. Maybe the bullets are to light. I haven't had time to check it further.

·
5,686 Posts
Please be patient, they will fix whatever the issue is. All manufacturers have issues and you did not buy junk. Good luck and keep us posted on your results.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts