Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any one familiar with this revolver? Anyone own it, or shot it?

How strong is the recoil shooting .357 magnum loads? What about .38 spl? What is the fit and finish like? Being a hammerless DAO model, how heavy is the trigger pull?

I may have found one at a LGS close by. I haven't called about it, but it is shown on the on line list of available guns.

Revolvers are so scarce and expensive right now. This one has a price of $389.99.

·
Registered
4,084 Posts
I recently bought a used one off Gun Broker. I paid about $100 less with shipping. Of course mine is used. I've only had mine out twice and used 38 Special 158 gr loads. The 357 magnum is a bit heavy for a gun this size. And the short barrel probably won't do the round justice. I shoot them in my longer barrelled revolvers. My m605 has the hammer spur for SA shooting. At 15 feet, I shot a cylinder full all D.A. and the group was smaller than a cigarette pack. Good enough to defend myself at that distance.
There are a lot of happy m605 owners here. I'm sure that some will be along shortly.

·
Registered
7,241 Posts
I had one. It was SS, and DA/SA. The fit and finish weren't up to that of a Colt, but neither was the price. .357 magnums are a handfull, literally. A cylinder full per range visit will be all you'll want.

·
Registered
7,162 Posts
I have three 605s and they are great revolvers. None of them are fun to shoot with 357 Magnum ammunition; especially with 125gr screamers; or 180gr thumper loads. My advice would be if you have to shoot 357 Magnum ammo; use CCI®/BLAZER 158gr JHPs, #3542. Those loads are accurate shooting to POA in my 605's. They also have far less recoil IMHO.

Reactions: Lil Beaver

·
Registered
583 Posts
I have had a 605 SS 2" for over a year now, and like Laker said, with a full cylinder of 125 grn .357 the little gun is quite a handful and hurts the hand. I can honestly say that it kicks a whole lot more than my .44 mag with those rounds in it, however stuffed with .38 spl or .38+P spl it's not bad at all. The 605 makes a great all day, any day carry piece due to it's size, it conceals easy even if it is a bit heavy.

x101ABNDevil
R.I.P. PT42

·
Registered
14,092 Posts
Your price seems a little on the high side. I have enjoyed shooting the 605 2" many a time. They are stout, but not what I would call a handful by any means. Shooting 38spl is just as much fun as the 357mag almost. I enjoy shooting the .327mag more. Keep in mind that the 357mag round fired out of the 2" barrel does not build up to full potential before exiting the end of the barrel. So the bang is there, but it may not be worth the buck to fire it.

Welcome to the T/A Forum, please come back often.....

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
I've had one for a couple of years, but frankly it doesn't get too much use. I bought it for CCW, but I'm not a holster fan, and it's a pound-and-a-half, so I opt to carry my 851 -- a full half-pound lighter, or my Ruger LC9, same weight.

But the 605 IS a strong little piece, and will handle hot 357 loads with no problem - - - - - - except the danged recoil!! When I do take it to the range, I'll take along 5 (and only 5 ) 357 jacketed handloads just to keep any lead out of the bore. But there is an "ouch" factor to it.

With 38 spl or +Ps, it's chunky enough to handle the recoil. Less recoil than the lighter 851. But again, too heavy for me to carry. One other thing: mine did have a really tough DA trigger pull, which I solved with Wolff Springs. (a less-than-$10 fix).

If you need to have 357 capability, and understand that will be a bit heavy, then it's a great buy IMHO.

·
Registered
281 Posts
I have the 651.. a sister. I used the wolfe spring for the hammer spring. Slick as snot. The 357 mag is a heavy round and even when I had an6 inch S&W it was still a major kick. I can do 100 rnds 38+ with now hand strain with the 651. I practice with the 38 but do put a few rounds of 357 mag through just to keep familiar.

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
I have 2 605's
Trigger is sweet in DA or SA
One is 3" blued
One is 2" matte black
NEVER a problem [1000 rounds]
.357 is stout and not even needed
.38special is sweet.....and plenty good for SD
They both balance in the hand as well as any
S&W I have.....and I am S&W poor.
Price? I don't know. You want it? Got $$$$$ ?
Have you checked CDNN for one?
They have had some GREAT buys lately.
I will go look for you.....and bring back a link.

WOW ! This gun/ammo panic is bizarre !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Even CDNN has pulled their entire online catalog.
I have never seen such craziness.
Graf's is a month behind to ship...even if you ordered in December.
I would never have bet on this absurdity.
Call CDNN...ask them about a Taurus 605....from the looks of things,
you may be on hold for a while....don't know....2 or so weeks ago,
if my memory is clear [watch it buster, I'm only 70] they had the 605
for $279....this gun s**t has gone ape-s**t !!!!
I am sooooo glad I don't need anything....I have enough daily worries.
Here's a link nonetheless....
Buy Gun Accessories, Hi-Capacity Mags, Scopes, Gun Parts & More at CDNN Sports, Inc.

Damn....buy the one local, if you need one......
I feel like a fish out of water these days.
Join the friggin' panic......or find yourself without.....
is that our NEW motto?????

·
Registered
69 Posts
I used to own a 605 357. I got it from Buds gun shop. Could not wait to have it. Showed up at the FFL very dirty! Cleaned it ! I am prob a ginger it hurt my hand !
I bought it to shot 357 not 38 special.
Sold it
I have a 627 Tacker 357 and a UL 38 special love them both !

·
Registered
306 Posts
I just got one lnib for $250. I have had it out twice. I put 50 rounds of factory reload 357 through it each time. Granted these were not full power loads but the recoil wasn't bad. As others have said 38 is cake.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I bought the SS version a few weeks ago and planned to carry it ever now and then. I haven't been able to put this thing down I love it. I have carried the Ruger LCP for over a year and granted it is heavier but with a decent 1.5 inch belt I have no issues what so ever. I hardly know it s there after a while. With the .357 it does let you know who's boss, but I didn't buy this for a range gun to shoot .38's out of. Like was mentioned after 5-10 rounds of .357 your ready to put it down but thats exactly what I wanted. I knew what I was getting. I purchased this for protection not fun and I am very comfortable with the level of firepower and security it gives me. I shoot Blazer Brass .357 Magnum JHP's and I get great expansion with it. I have been carrying this full time since I got. I am surprised at myself as I never thought I would love this gun as much as I do. It's now my full-time carry with 2 Bianchi speed strips. I pickup a Blackhawk IWB holster for it when I bought it for $11.95 and it works well but I will be getting a decent IWB leather one for it shortly. Not rich here and still owe on the gun. I paid $369.00 for the SS at Fin Feather Fur, the blued version is $329.00. If you want a range gun then most likely the 605 isn't for you. If you what a kick-a down and dirty self defense gun that will get the job done then run and get you one. I love mine.
M605.jpg
NOTE: You do see rounds in the cylinder, I put spent casings in for a better picture.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Nice bullet expansion from a Snubbie. Main reason I updated from a .38 spl snubbie to a .357 mag version.

Good looking pistol BTW.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Nice bullet expansion from a Snubbie. Main reason I updated from a .38 spl snubbie to a .357 mag version.

Good looking pistol BTW.
Thanks I can't believe I am so infatuated with this revolver, I've been a pistol man for a long time. I was really empress with the expansion on the Blazer Brass, I watch a
with a 605 and there was barley any expansion but it did go 23 1/4" into the ballistic jell. Not sure what the blazer does in the Jell test but getting 50 Blazers for around the price of 20 Gold Dots I am satisfied to stay with Blazer. The power of any .357 Magnum JHP round will be plenty in a SD scenario.

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
Mine has been a great shooter, i did put a set of Houge grips on it and it did take out some of the recoil off of full blown 357 Mag, wouldnt want to shoot it all day but not bad at all for practice.

·
Registered
194 Posts
"If you want a range gun then most likely the 605 isn't for you."---MohicanRon.
Sure if you get the larger grips, guess I should have stated with the boot grips, my bad. Do you use the .357's for the range as well? I personally don't use snubby's for range practice but to each their own.

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
Sure if you get the larger grips, guess I should have stated with the boot grips, my bad. Do you use the .357's for the range as well? I personally don't use snubby's for range practice but to each their own.
I use .38special for the range. A few .357 occasionally.
I never used to shoot snubs at the range......
but when I got deeply involved in shooting the .32H&R/.327FedMag's
and all the sweet snubs for them, it has become one of my favorites.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts