Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Just heard on Fox that a 6 yr old in an elementry school outside of Houston brought a gun to school. The latest report said he was in the cafeteria, when he dropped it, and it went off, wounding 3 students. Initial reports say they were wounded in their legs. I think they said it was Ross Elementry School.

Good thing that it was low to the ground. Could have been much worse. These are the type of incidents that keep adding fuel to the fire for the anti gunners.

I wonder if the weapon was legally regestered. If so, then it would seem some negligence charges should be resulting.

Rob

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi bigstick23,

What I was referring to was; that the gun was legally owned by the person from whom the child took the gun from..Not a stolen gun, that then fell into the hands of the child.

Rob

·
Registered
263 Posts
Thought that happened last month. Didn't think all the facts were in then.

·
Registered
27,130 Posts
It also raises the question of A.D. What gun fires when dropped from the height of a 6-year-old?

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
Somebody's butt needs to be in a sling over this! Perhaps a year in jail would help the gun owner to learn to keep his firearms out of the reach of a child!

·
Registered
263 Posts
Something is really wrong here. In January a 5 year old dropped a gun he brought to school in a pre kindergarten class. That one did not fire. Also in January a kid in 10th grade dropped a backpack with a gun in it--it fired and 2 kids were injured. And in February a 3rd grader fired a gun he brought to school in front of other kids (I guess outside in the yard.) Not a good trend here.

·
Registered
788 Posts
redwin89 said:
Something is really wrong here. In January a 5 year old dropped a gun he brought to school in a pre kindergarten class. That one did not fire. Also in January a kid in 10th grade dropped a backpack with a gun in it--it fired and 2 kids were injured. And in February a 3rd grader fired a gun he brought to school in front of other kids (I guess outside in the yard.) Not a good trend here.
Ah, yeah. Pretty damn scarey.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Not to be insensitive, this is terrible. But a single shot from a dropped gun wounded three kids? With the number of well aimed shots that miss people 5 feet away this is kind of crazy to me...

That said, I am real glad that I bought a Taurus... a few days after getting my gun (my first gun) I pulled it out of my pocket inside of the pocket holster to set it on the shelf above my computer when the crappy slick inside of the pocket holster let the gun slide out. It fell about three and a half feet and hit the hard wood desktop directly on the back of the slide. As it dropped I swear I saw the whole thing in slow motion, the gun hit the desk hard on the back of the slide and as it did so I could see through the hollow point of the bullet clearly in the light pointed directly at my face. Thank you Taurus I love you!

·
Premium Member
10,975 Posts
While the parents need to be held legally liable for what happened, how is it that no one at school noticed the kid was carrying a gun. The news reports said that the gun fell out of his pocket. I don't know what kind of pistol it was (news reports said a 22), but even my smallest semi auto, a PT22, would not fit in my 6 yr old grandson's pocket. Even if it was stuck in his waist band, it would still stick out.

As a side note. What would make a 6 yr old so frightened at school that he would feel the need to carry a gun?

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
^ did the report say he was carrying it because he felt threatened? I assumed he had it because he thought it was cool, and probably to brag about having it. "Hey, look what I got!"

·
Registered
623 Posts
Another incident ... another argument in favor of teaching kids basic gun safety in school. These kids sure don't learn it at home.

·
Premium Member
10,975 Posts
Armed Pacifist said:
^ did the report say he was carrying it because he felt threatened? I assumed he had it because he thought it was cool, and probably to brag about having it. "Hey, look what I got!"
You're probably right. Even if the motivation for him having it is discovered the media will probably never report it. The only report I've heard recently is just the "further investigation is underway" crap.

·
Registered
27,130 Posts
BTW - Reports are now that the kid fired the gun while showing it off - it did NOT discharge accidentally. Can't even call it unintentional - just stupid.
Also - the gun belonged to a "friend of the family", not the mother.

·
Registered
34,138 Posts
Most "Dropped guns" that go off and shoot someone probably only got dropped after someone pulled the trigger, first. I'm not saying that it can't happen, just that there are way too many incidents blamed on the gun going off when "dropped". It's a great story to tell, and it removes the blame from the shooter, and places it on the gun. The anti's love that stuff.

·
5,686 Posts
Again, children are curious creatures. Whomever that gun belongs to should be in deep trouble right now. Had the gun been locked and out of the child's reach this never would have happened. I just hope this wasn't a 'trained' 6yr old who would never ever ever touch his daddy's gun....God help the Father if so. AND.... Before I'm tarred and feathered AGAIN, I too grew up on a farm around guns and guess what...yep, I took my Dad's guns out when he wasn't home and shot them! My Dad would have never guessed I'd do that obviously.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts