Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
14,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Could use a little help with offering an explanation to a new PT92 owner of what/how the Six O'clock sightning is and how to align the aim.

I can find all the photos on the internet to offer for viewing, but I can't manage to keep the wording simple and in line with the KISS Principal.

The original question has to do with the PT92 Low and left so many have difficulty with. And of course many of us also may remember how quick the frustration can set in.

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
With a six-o'clock hold, the front sight is visually centered in the rear sight (left to right), both front and rear are level across the top, and the very bottom edge of the black circle on the target is sitting just on top of the front sight. Does that help? But if the point of impact is low and left, wouldn't a six-o'clock hold move it even lower, compared to a point of impact hold?

·
10,379 Posts
My cure for low/left was to graaaaaduallly take the slack out of the trigger while holding the sights on target and let the pistol surprise me when the trigger broke and the pistol shot. Couple afternoons of that and I was cured of my low left curse. I still don't know if I was slapping the trigger or flinching in anticipation but I had a nasty pull down and to the left. Discovered it when I hit a dud, pistol didn't fire but I still pulled that puppy low and left.

·
Registered
3,077 Posts
Could use a little help with offering an explanation to a new PT92 owner of what/how the Six O'clock sightning is and how to align the aim.

I can find all the photos on the internet to offer for viewing, but I can't manage to keep the wording simple and in line with the KISS Principal.

The original question has to do with the PT92 Low and left so many have difficulty with. And of course many of us also may remember how quick the frustration can set in.
Perhaps this will help. The first image is 6 o'clock POA. The second is center mass POA. I prefer center mass POA but everyone is different.

Text Font Logo Line Graphics

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
Or if you REALLY want to get literal -- the sight picture should be so that the black part of the target looks like a marble balanced on top of the front sight.

There gets to be a point of confusion if you say to put the 'bullseye' on the top of the front sight. A bullseye is generally thought of as the center of the target, the highest-scoring area -- the 10, or even the 'X' ring. Depending on the target, the black center scoring area would include the 10, 9, sometimes 8, and sometimes 7 rings.

But a six-o'clock hold means the sights are aimed at the bottom edge of the black.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Like a lollipop, where the front sight is the stick and the good part is the target.
Or if you REALLY want to get literal -- the sight picture should be so that the black part of the target looks like a marble balanced on top of the front sight.
This all depends on the sights used as well. The Heine straight eight sights on the DW Valor require image 3.

·
Super Moderator
20,113 Posts
This all depends on the sights used as well. The Heine straight eight sights on the DW Valor require image 3.
Tdub brings up a valid point. What type sights are on the gun in OP question. I was a hater of the crazy 8s when I bought my first PT140 and quickly opted for a set of Williams Fire sights. My PT145 came with the 8s stock too but I quickly learned to enjoy them. They really ARE a quicker sight picture acquisition.

I'm assuming that I may be the only one who might not know what sights come factory on PT92 (I think they are the 3 dot Novak like) but just asking for the sake of clarification.

All that being said, I have been a lifelong fan of the position 3 sight picture (compliments of MVV) - going all they way back to my high school rifle team days where the center of the 10 ring at 50 feet thru iron sights was the setup we lived with.

Reactions: jonrjen

·
Registered
21,120 Posts
Also, low and left could be from too much finger on the trigger. You want to gently bull the trigger using the pad of the tip of your finger NOT in the crook of the first joint.

·
Registered
295 Posts
I'm not at all sure about that. This is from Heine's website:

View attachment 59151
Anyone with a Valor that I have asked uses fig.3 What Heine intended may not be what DW did.:icon_wink: I also did not care for them when I first got the DW, but it didn't take long for me to prefer them...soon all my 1911s will have them.

Reactions: jonrjen

·
Registered
295 Posts
Does the PT92 have Heine straight eight sights? After all, the PT92 is what the OP asked about.
No, but my point being there is not one "right" sight picture for everything. Even the caliber can change which picture might work.

·
Premium Member
17,735 Posts
Fire the weapon with your mind, not your finger.

OK I've gone all Zen on y'all now....

·
Registered
14,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I have always said that each individual weapon has it's own personality in which the shooter needs to study and learn....because in all truth it will never do the same in return.

It is a one sided relationship that should cumulate into a matched harmony resulting towards becoming one together........ in a deadly accurate combination.

I bet that up until those last 5 words you thought I was getting all mushy romantic didn't you?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts