Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Actually, there are two questions. First off, I have looked and looked and can't find a Rossi 357 mag in 6" bbl in the 971 model, only in 972. The one I just bought clearly says 971 on the bbl. What am I missing here? I know it's an older model. Were the older 6" bbl's called 971?
Second, will it hurt the pistol to shoot Buffalo Bore 180gr.? Thanks

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Robby - you miss read my post. I HAVE a 6" Rossi that says 971 on the bbl. Just wanted to know how that can be.

·
Registered
28 Posts
When I do a google image search for "Rossi 971" 6" I end up with 3-4 pictures of a stainless 6" 971. I guess they used to make them. Maybe it's an older version of the 972 that was made by InterArms before Taurus took them over? B-Square also offers a scope mount that says it fits 6" R971. Does yours say M971 or R971 on it?
- Joe

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Joe - It has M971 on the bbl.
I just picked it up today from the shop. I had a mini red dot sight from sightmark put on. Awesome. They mounted a S&W universal rail on it.

·
32,481 Posts
Rossi just recently stopped 6 inch barrel 971 production. They decided that the 971 would come in 4 inch barrel only and in blue only. The 972 is know in stainless steel only and is the 6 incher. Odd, but there it is.

Rossi seems to be concentrating most of their effort on their newer products and not so much concentration on handguns.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Here is the end product. I'm heading out to shoot as soon as it gets light. Thanks for the info on its background.
IMG_3782.JPG

·
Registered
1 Posts
Rear sight blade

Here is the end product. I'm heading out to shoot as soon as it gets light. Thanks for the info on its background.
View attachment 20976
Abner

If you plan on keeping the rail and red dot on there, would you be interested in selling your rear sight blade? Mine broke a few months ago and I'm looking for a replacement.

If not, would anyone happen to have a lead where I could find one? I've checked gun broker and all of the major parts supply companies.

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
Nice Rossi acquisition! I have owned two different 971s (the normal 4" and the rarer ported "3). At the time I ordered the first revolver, I do remember seeing a 6" 971 for sale, so they must have made them under the 971 banner at some point.......

Oh, almost forgot. That Buffalo Bore load is pretty hefty -- do you plan on hunting with it? I wouldn't think that a steady diet would be that advisable, but here is what Buffalo Bore had to say about that load:

Heavy 357 Magnum Ammo - 180 gr. Hard Cast LFN-GC (1,400fps/M.E. 783 ft. lbs.) - 20 Round Box

Our 357 mag. ammo adds more power than ever before to the 357 mag. This ammo is safe to shoot in ANY all steel 357 revolver - this includes J frames. This ammo is no harder on your gun than any other normal 357 ammo. Please don't phone us and ask if this ammo is safe in your gun. It is, providing your gun is in safe condition for use with any normal 357 ammo.

We don't recommend this ammo to be fired in super light alloy revolvers as bullets may jump crimp under recoil, but the ammo itself wont hurt these super light weight revolvers. These revolvers are simply so light that the recoil is severe enough to cause crimp jump.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts