Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally finished my AR-15 chambered in 6.8....
The wait for the upper was long but worth the wait.... the upper is LIGHT
here are the specs:
Lower: Mega Arms Gator lower,RRA lower kit with Houge overmolded grip & single stage trigger done by Bill Springfield(3lb pull)
MGI recoil buffer, commercial bufffer, Wilson Combat Super Stock, Magpul B.A.D. lever & Magpul winter trigger gaurd (aluminum)
Upper: AR Performance Classic Combat Upper with ITS 12 port brake on a trued Mega upper reciever and barrel bedding
Magpul Midlength MOE handguards, ARP logo on port door, Vltor BCM Gunfighter charging handle (Mod 3 Long), ARP Super bolt,
and ARP Barrel 6.8x43 chamber with 11.25:1 twist 5R rifiling,Melonite coated
Optics: Simmons "whitetail classic 6.5x20x50 mounted to a Wilson Combat Accu-Rizer scope mount
I going to try 110gr Sierra Pro hunters with H322 and see how it shoots,for now I got some SSA 110gr SPH Tac to try out

Attachments

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Man she sure looks spiffy!! When you gonna put some rounds down range!
Hopefully next week.... and some time mid April get some "piggy time" for the 6.8

·
Super Moderator
21,440 Posts
What a gun great job I really like what I'm hearing about the 6.8. I wish it was a lot cheaper and came in spam cans. LOL

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What a gun great job I really like what I'm hearing about the 6.8. I wish it was a lot cheaper and came in spam cans. LOL
I hear ya...
its pretty up their in price "but beauty ain't cheap" :p

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Someone call the Tullammo people.
No No..... No Tullammo..... Bad..... seen to many stuck cases
I'll stick to MY factory ammo.... Handloads

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Here's a pic of both my AR's 5.56 and 6.8
post would only let me attach 5 pics... whats up with that? lol
102_2259.JPG

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
CONGRATS!!! That looks like a real fine build. Looking forward to the range report, and some piggy pics. I'm still thinking about a 6.8 build, but it might be better to wait until Nov 7th. :D

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
CONGRATS!!! That looks like a real fine build. Looking forward to the range report, and some piggy pics. I'm still thinking about a 6.8 build, but it might be better to wait until Nov 7th. :D
i would start building it now and buy a lower first...just incase Nov. 6th doesn't get us a new President.... stuff is drying up again...

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
What a nice looking rifle! Are you planning on doing any hunting with it? I have been hearing good things about the 6.8's performance on whitetail deer....

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
i would start building it now and buy a lower first...just incase Nov. 6th doesn't get us a new President.... stuff is drying up again...
I'm already hitting dry holes, and what I do find is more $$ than I'm thinking it's worth (both 6.8 and .308 ). That's why I'm thinking to just spend the $$ on more 5.56 ammo.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
What a nice looking rifle! Are you planning on doing any hunting with it? I have been hearing good things about the 6.8's performance on whitetail deer....
I do plan on hunting with it.... I would hunt whitetail with my RRA 5.56... neck shots... I wanted something different and a 6.8 cartridge looks kinda like a little 308
if everything goes as planned i should be hunting hogs mid April... we'll see how she performs... still a little sceptical about the 6.8 if it don't work out
I'll build a .458 SOCOM. Hmmm probably still build a .458 either way :D

Reactions: RevolverFan

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Did you give any consideration to building a 300 AAC BLK? The ammo is coming down in price and the rifle maintains the 556 profile but the 300 AAC BLK ballistics are quite a bit better; very similar to a 270 from what I gather. I can get a quality upper for $424 and have been thinking about it. I am also curious about why the rise on the scope since you don't have any iron sights and why this type scope? Is it primarily a target rifle? I have a red dot on mine with a co-witness with the iron sights (my AR is on an M4 upper). I also have a Kel-Tec SU-16 and prefer shooting it in a lot of ways as it is more accurate with similar optics except the sights on the SU-16 are below the riser for the red-dot. Anyway, that is a fine looking weapon!

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Did you give any consideration to building a 300 AAC BLK? The ammo is coming down in price and the rifle maintains the 556 profile but the 300 AAC BLK ballistics are quite a bit better; very similar to a 270 from what I gather. I can get a quality upper for $424 and have been thinking about it. I am also curious about why the rise on the scope since you don't have any iron sights and why this type scope? Is it primarily a target rifle? I have a red dot on mine with a co-witness with the iron sights (my AR is on an M4 upper). I also have a Kel-Tec SU-16 and prefer shooting it in a lot of ways as it is more accurate with similar optics except the sights on the SU-16 are below the riser for the red-dot. Anyway, that is a fine looking weapon!
300 BLK was never for me... didn't consider it... I like my guns loud and fast...lol as far ammo I reload and work part time at a range.
The scope riser is for objective bell clearence,with regular mounts it had no clearence.for my choice in scope? when i'm not hunting i'm shooting at the range and besides my eyes are too tired for iron sights and i'm not a fan of red dots (at least exspensive ones) with my scope i can see almost anything and can place my shot where it needs to be, my Remmy 700 SPS in 308 has the same scope.... and you can't beat it for $110 when its on sale!
(Feb 2012 Hog 155 yds,Dec 2011 Doe 137 yds & Aug 2011 Axis Doe 85yds)
"The Proof is in the Pudding"

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
Good shooting, and if the build is what you want and you are happy with it, I say it's a great build!

Now I'm with whoever said something about 300blk, it intrigues me, and I will have an upper for it sometime.

Can't argue with your results!

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
I am not a fan of magnifying scopes in spite of my eyes being, well old and tired. Target acquisition in brush or let's just say urban environments isn't quick. I seldom care about shooting anything much over 50 yards and when I do, I have bolt action rifles with better longer range ballistic characteristics; that is why I was interested in the 300 BLK. If you like distance shooting, I saw a Howa that was about 6" long chambered in 338 Lapua at the feed store for about $4500. That rifle had a heavy barrel and must have weighed 20 lbs. I couldn't afford to shoot one very much but it would be fun lining up 1000 meter shots to see if I could hit anything.

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
No No..... No Tullammo..... Bad..... seen to many stuck cases
I'll stick to MY factory ammo.... Handloads
Tulammo is already working on the 6.8SPC cartridge. The cases are tapered instead of straight like the 5.56. I've seen the .308 guys run all day on Tula at the range, but shun the 5.56.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
You don't know what to believe regarding running 5.56 (or 223) steel cased in an AR platform... many folks swear it will eat everything in your received and cause the rifle fragment in front of your eyes. Cheaperthandirt.com has a nice article saying modern steel cased ammo is just peachy for use in an AR platform. Kel-Tec makes the SU-16 (I have on of those) and the extrator is similar to that on an AR and they WARN you not to use steel jacket stuff. Now that Hornaday is making "steel cased match" ammo, I wonder if things will slide in favor of using the stuff?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts