Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took three of my rifles to the range today, a Tikka Superlite in 6.5 Creedmoor with a Redfield 2-7X34, a Savage 16 in 260 Rem. with a Leupold 2.5-10x50 and a Steyr Scout in 6.5 Creedmoor with a Leupold 3-9x40. The clear winner was the Tikka with the Savage running a close second, the Steyr did hunting okay with 1.5" three shot groups at 100 yards. Both the Tikka and the Steyr liked the Hornady Precision Hunter ELD-X 143gr. ammo and the Savage liked the Nosler Ballistic Tip 120gr.ammo. I'll have to see if I can work up some reloads that the Steyr likes better. Funny, but the Steyr would not chamber Federal ammo with Sierra 140gr Gameking bullets and had no such problem with 120, 129 and 143gr Hornady loads
Food Tableware Ingredient Recipe Organism

Here's the Tikka's 3 shot group at 100 yards:

·
Premium Member
916 Posts
Oh my! Looks like one big jagged hole. Bet you had a bunch of fun.

·
Premium Member
13,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I sure did. I've been trying to get to the range with 3 rifles a week and a handgun or two. This is what retirement is supposed to be about, shooting and hunting, not all that back and forth to doctors garbage.

·
Premium Member
916 Posts
I sure did. I've been trying to get to the range with 3 rifles a week and a handgun or two. This is what retirement is supposed to be about, shooting and hunting, not all that back and forth to doctors garbage.
You bet! I'm working on it, cutting back on the part-time work from 4-5 days down to 2 and hopefully one day I'll be on your plan.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Nice shootin. I'm lucky enough to have my own range to shoot when i please. My Cooper in 22lr will shoot holes like that if i do my part. I like shootin marbles off of golf tees. Lol

·
Registered
37,123 Posts
YEA!
But he totally missed that Penny every time!

Hand Arm Facial expression Vertebrate World

·
Super Moderator
35,585 Posts
I've several hunting rifles. Truth be told, I never needed anything more than the .257 Roberts I inherited when I was 16. I shot my first whitetail buck with it when I was 11. I do think there are better choices for the elk I shot a few years ago, though. But one elk in 55 years of hunting doesn't make me a serious elk hunter.:D All the deer I've ever shot, some of which fell to that .257, would have fallen to it.

I mean I like my .308 and my 7mm Rem Mag a lot, but sometimes I question why I spent money on them. I think, though that I've enjoyed reloading for them and the range time with them. :D

·
Registered
88 Posts
I've several hunting rifles. Truth be told, I never needed anything more than the .257 Roberts I inherited when I was 16. I shot my first whitetail buck with it when I was 11. I do think there are better choices for the elk I shot a few years ago, though. But one elk in 55 years of hunting doesn't make me a serious elk hunter.:D All the deer I've ever shot, some of which fell to that .257, would have fallen to it.

I mean I like my .308 and my 7mm Rem Mag a lot, but sometimes I question why I spent money on them. I think, though that I've enjoyed reloading for them and the range time with them. :D
Yep shot placement is everything. I hunt whitetails with a 223 and have never lost a deer. Last fall i fired 2 rounds and got a 5 and an 8. They ran a couple yards, spun and dropped. That little 223 is utterly devastating under 300 yards. In 30 some years i've never been skunked. I always bring a second rifle with in case i have an issue with my primary but never need it (knock on wood). I own many calibers only because i have my own range and love shooting everything. That little 223 is my go to however for whitetails.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts