Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/5_mm_Remington_Rimfire_Magnum

i've never seen, shot, or hell even heard of this round until now..
however i must say it sounds impressive offering more power and good capacity then the .22lr or .17hmr, and it's rim fire which has the possibility to be cheap if only production and demand develops.

i would be leary of buying such a gun when only 1 manufacture is producing it..

still gonna have to keep an eye on this and see how things develop.

·
Super Moderator
34,935 Posts
5mm Remington is out of production far as I know and a cartridge collector's item anymore. I've heard boxes run north of fifty bucks. It came out in 1970, remember the hype well, same year Remington legitimized the .25-06. In 3 or 4 years, the hype was over and the caliber/rifle was dead. If they brought a revolver out in THIS caliber, good luck on getting ammo for it. LOL!

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
Not on my list of guns to get. With the proven .17 mach 2 and hmr and .22lr and mag this is gonna have a hard time selling.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
With the effort it took to produce the 5mm revolver (unless it IS 5.7 it probably won't sell) they could have maybe overhauled their website.

I'm just sayin'

·
Registered
275 Posts
Just what we die hard fans need, a 5 mm revolver???

Why can't taurus make the freaken model 441 again in 3 & 4 inch barrel in .44 special.

OK, some .45 Colt caliber as well.

TB C45

My cat is of the same opinion...

·
Registered
72 Posts
Read the blogs and find out the pent-up demand for the re-introduction of this great little round.

Pent up as in "no buyers"?????

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
NativeTexan said:
5mm Remington is out of production far as I know and a cartridge collector's item anymore. I've heard boxes run north of fifty bucks. It came out in 1970, remember the hype well, same year Remington legitimized the .25-06. In 3 or 4 years, the hype was over and the caliber/rifle was dead. If they brought a revolver out in THIS caliber, good luck on getting ammo for it. LOL!
Aguila will be the sole producer of the ammo.. at least until if/when the caliber gains traction and other mfr's start producing it.

my understanding is 300-330 per 1k rounds is gonna be the price.. which makes it a very expensive round for the power you get.

this will truely be one of those things that the die hards will have to raise from the ground up before the rest of us get on board.

·
Super Moderator
21,438 Posts
hey up in northern Mich. they drop deer with rugar 22's never did it but seen the deer. the locals up there hunt year round not much work and a whole lot of woods and lakes and nothin else. vary poor deselute sp area's up there. don't knock the old stand by with the ammo they got now a hot 22 is a good round.

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
deer hunting with .22 (lr's i assume?) oh man.. i'd have to see that one for my self.. was they going for head shots?

·
Premium Member
15,932 Posts
You can bet they are not going for the 100 yd shots. But the right 22LR, hitting the right area, you might have to follow them for a mile or so before they drop over.

·
Super Moderator
21,438 Posts
I've been told right behind the ear at night its against the law but these people are beyond poor and they feed there families this way. Rual America has its own set of rules when it comes to surviving.

·
Administrator
35,110 Posts
The buyers for this little jewel are so pent up, they aren't talking......

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well, I completely forgot about the 5mm (even though I started this thread!) until I came across this.

http://www.gunsandammomag.com/ammunition/GA_NRA2008WO3_200805/index.html

The idea is actually growing on me. I always like stuff that's a bit off the beaten track. Though I might start with the CZ first and then maybe the Taurus revo a short while down the road.

·
32,481 Posts
There are some runs of 5mm. rimfire ammo being made infrequently. CheaperThanDirt's new catalog has some.

However the 5.7 is the new with it fad round. Or has been for some time.

For the last 3 decades the military was going to go to sub-caliber weapons of 4mm.-5mm. Some were bullets and the rest were fletchette shooters. All the worlds militaries climbed on the subcaliber bandwagon and were going to field even fletchette firing rifles. One subcaliber fletchette at a time. Some of these were full auto.

The flawed thinking was that wounding was more human (gotta love the liberals.. it was there idea), cost the enemy man power and time dealing with casualties, and the battlefield less bloody.

All the brutal brushfire wars across the globe have proven this line of thinking false at every level.

When first introduced it was supposed to be for FN's P90. It's supposed to take place of a rifle and be issued to secondary or support troops. The reasoning(not sound by any means) was that something small and portable was needed by the non-combat frontline troops.

These also gave the ability to pierce then said bullet resistant vests from other countries militaries. That was back a few years and not truthful of present. At least this was possible with the round the military only,was able to get.

Problem is the submachine guns can or used to fill that roll. M4 carbines or such have taken the subguns place.

Documentation has shown that the special types of armor piercing 9x19 ammo would go through even class 2 ( pistol level protection) or 3 (rifle level protection) vests a decade or so ago.

There have been many documented cases of support troops getting into brutal firefights from Panama to recent and present history in Iraq.

The superior ballistic properties of the 5.6mm and larger rifle calibers(even in carbine guise) show that the short range 5.7mm. just isn't up to the job. Wounding ability falls off drastically at longer ranges. Not all engagements are close range affairs.

Given is the fact that the military armor piercing ammo is not for sale to us civilians.

Actual shootings ,few that they are, and media testing put the 5.7mm in the .22 magnum wounding ballpark. Granted I wouldn't want ot be shot with any firearm round, but that's a low level of internal ballistic abilities.

Casless ammo was also going to be the new wave thing also.

The world's militaries gave it all up after billions of dollars have been spent on all this and the idea has been dropped for the time being. Caseless ammo and the subcaliber guns rarely worked.

When your enemies are fanatical,give no quarter, will not surrender themselves, and will kill you and your fellow soldiers at any cost, leaving them still able to do so is not a good idea.

The FN product is know being marketed for civilians as a semiauto version.

Ammo for the most part has seen velocities reduced or the ammo's wounding abilites stifled.

A revolver either in 5mm. rimfire or one in 5.7mm centerfire does make sense considering the reduced ballistics out of the shortend handgun barrels.

As already stated the 5mm. ammo is rare if even seen.

The .17 rimfire calibers and .22rimfire rounds all are on the market already.

There seems little or no market for the either 5mm.at this time.

FN has buyers in the USA buying the 5.7mm carbines and pistols. It's more for a novelty than a real world need.

·
Administrator
35,110 Posts
I vaguely remember a shotgun that was designed to 'hush' the round going off.....but I think it had so many ports in the barrel it didn't function correctly, or something like that.....another bad idea.

·
Registered
39 Posts
There were always rumors that Remington had killed the rifle and cartridge due to safety concerns. Given gun show prices for the rare box of Rem 5mm ammo, I had joked for years you get a free rifle with every box of ammo. The rifles were sometimes cheaper than a box of collector ammo.

Since the first of the year, the market has been flooded with 5mm ammo packaged under the Centurion brand. It typically sells for $17-$20/box of 50.

While I wouldn't expect any problems out of new firearms designed for the 5mm, it does make me wonder if Remington's old concerns have merit and whether the Remington rifles are safe to shoot.

Mike

TSRA Life Member
NRA Benefactor Member

·
Administrator
35,110 Posts
I don't get it - is this round supposed to be able to punch through a kevlar vest or something ? Otherwise, why do we need another small caliber round?

·
Registered
39 Posts
This isn't some new 'gee-whiz' round.

This was introduced around 1960 to outdo the .22 Magnum.

I haven't heard of new firearms chambered for it, but there may be.

There are a limited number of 45 year old Remington rifles without a source of ammo until now.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts