Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just saw this on the Taurus website. They say they are re-introducing this "popular" round due to "pent up demand". The write up says it will be available in the 3rd qtr.( they didn't mention of which year ;D) Funny.....I did a quick search on this forum and didn't see one "pent up demand" from any of our memebers mentioning they wanted this set up. What exactly is the purpose of this small round?
http://www.taurususa.com/products/product-details.cfm?id=617&category=Revolver

·
Registered
275 Posts
I guess Taurus can't hear our pent up demand for 3" and 4" .44 specials, without the damn barrel porting.

I would remind them that it is their model 431 and 441 that the pent up emotions are vented on...how about it Taurus.

And while your at it, make some .45 Colt and the heck with the .45 acp. as it's better suited in the semi-auto pistols.

Then we the pent up people will stop sulking.

TB C45

·
Premium Member
15,931 Posts
Tracker Backer C45 said:
And while your at it, make some .45 Colt and the heck with the .45 acp.
Then we the pent up people will stop sulking.
Yeah, I never figured they would stop making 45 colt. It was my first gun, AKA THE JUDGE. I love the size round, and the way it shoots. Not the cowboy stuff, because I need to see the target after I shoot.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well it is obvious that Taurus hasn't the time nor energy to read some of the interesting posts made on this forum regarding weapons that their LOYAL customer base would not only like to see but also pay to own. I thought it was interesting to note that with over 3000 members on this forum not one has even mentioned a 5mm! I know I'm venting but there are so many other firearms that I would like to see Tarus offer that make more sense.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
I know I'm venting but there are so many other firearms that I would like to see Tarus offer that make more sense.
Yeah like 10mm Tracker or (baby) Raging Bull :D

I recall reading something about the 5mm but don't remember what it was... :-[

btw .22 is 5.5mm...with the new .17 calibers I'm not sure what advantage 5mm has....

·
Registered
8,150 Posts
Here you go Gray_Wolf... I posted a comment on this board right after the new Taurus revolver was announced at this years Shot Show.

http://www.gunpundit.com/244.php

·
Administrator
35,404 Posts
I've got to be honest - I'd never heard of a 5mm round until I saw this......much less heard anybody on this or any other forum mention it at all......

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
texastaurusguy said:
I've got to be honest - I'd never heard of a 5mm round until I saw this......much less heard anybody on this or any other forum mention it at all......
Kind of makes you wonder what Taurus' deffinition of "pent up demand" is....maybe their CEO has cornered the market of the "very popular" 5mm and hopes to make a killing marketing this new "gotta have it" revolver.

Gray_Wolf said:
Yeah like 10mm Tracker or (baby) Raging Bull :D

I recall reading something about the 5mm but don't remember what it was... :-[

btw .22 is 5.5mm...with the new .17 calibers I'm not sure what advantage 5mm has....
So it's smaller than a .22 but larger than a .17? So is my BB gun!!

·
Administrator
35,404 Posts
Sounds like someone in their marketing department got a little carried away with their adjectives.....

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
Someone at Taurus must be on something, in all my years I have never heard of a straight 5mm round. This is either a new round they are coming out, or one of their kids got access to the website and is jerking chains.

·
Administrator
35,404 Posts
It's a rimfire, from what I've seen. There is an article from G&A June 2005 about the cartridge:

I found this on Guns and Ammo website from June 2005 - it was a discussion about a Remington rifle that chambered the round:

When Remington discontinued the 5mm cartridge in 1982, a box of 50 retailed for $13.32 while a box of .22 Long Rifle and .22 Winchester Magnum sold for $2.15 and $5.91, respectively. If you can find 5mm ammo today, be ready to pay $35 to $50 a box. P.S. Don't lose that magazine.

Here is a January 2008 article on the revival of the cartridge.

http://www.jesseshunting.com/articles/guns/category8/209.html

Yawn....the excitement is really getting to me......

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
For what it is worth the 5mm is the same as the .204 Ruger. Out of a rifle this round has been clocked at over 4000 fps making it one of the fastest rounds on the planet. Don't know what it will produce out of a revolver but you can bet it's damn fast. All the same I don't know too many varmint hunters who use pistols. Might be a nice novelty gun but I can think of dozens more I'd rather have.

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
Wow with no real way to reload a rimfire that must have been one heck of stockpile they've been hoarding.

·
Administrator
35,404 Posts
I thought there were issues with shooting bottlenecked rounds in a revolver.....is that not true?

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
OK, the mystery is solved. It's not the .204 but the 5mm Remmington rimfire mag. Attached is some info.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/5_mm_Remington_Rimfire_Magnum

Notice the phrase "unfortunalety the round never became very popular"....sounds like pent up demand to me!!

Also note the mention of Taurus re-introducing the round at the 2008 SHOT show.

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
People fall in love with these things. I used to hunt with a guy who toted around an old 30-40 krag, just because he liked that caliber. And I have been trying to get my hands on some 7.7 jap ammo for my arisaka. I know there are people who still make the stuff, but I still don't like paying 40 bucks a box on what was once just surplus ammo.

·
Administrator
35,404 Posts
posted by Ace: get my hands on some 7.7 jap ammo for my arisaka
:D :D

While I think this is hilarious, some of the younger posters may think that this is a new kind of hollowpoint design..... :p

1 - 20 of 38 Posts