Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked up a .500 barrel a couple weeks back... Got it loaded up and shot some video. Just got a new scope for the red dot I shattered... Leupold M8 4x pistol scope with 3x weaver low rings. Hopefully that holds up!

Enjoy!!

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
Wow, even in the Encore with a muzzle break it's still a beast! What are you planning on hunting with it?

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Its actually relatively pleasant to shoot, as long as you double up on ears and grip the thing properly. The barrel release tang has a tendency to bite your weak hand index finger. Strong hand is fine... The grip, glove, and brake do a great job taming it. It's not sharp like a rifle round.

I'm not planning on hunting with this barrel, at least not in NJ! I do plan on getting a muzzleloader barrel for the encore and hunting deer this fall. I may get a rifled 12ga barrel too for shotgun season. I hunt with my 870 now.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Brings a new definition to hand cannon!

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Man... went to the range today and touched off 40rds outta this thing. I got the M8 scope sighted in, and I'm able to put it in like a 2-3" ring at 25yrds. So far its up to the task, no broken glass, but I need to blue locktite like every freakin nut and bolt on the thing to keep it together. I gotta bring a toolkit to the range to tighten up everything after a few rounds. Luckily I had some foresight and put blue locktite on the scope base.

HAHA... I catch myself flinching when shooting it tho so it takes a lot of concentration and controlled breathing to stay on point. I forgot gloves and got a little blister on my trigger finger. You gotta hold it like teacup style so your weak hand index finger doesnt get bit by the barrel release tang. What a freaking beast tho... wow. You can see the lane walls move when you touch it off. Fire shoots in to the adjacent lanes, HAHAHAH! The RO at this range was happy when I put it away... he was tellin me was making his heart skip a beat.
sirsloop is online now Report Post Edit/Delete Message

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just flame swirled a walnut pistol forearm for the .500. I sanded it down, primed, painted yellow, swirled (theswirling.com) orange+black, sprayed solid black, sanded back down into the colors w/ 400 grit, gloss poly cleared, then buffed out.

I figured it was a fitting paint job for this fire breather. :p

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
KABOOM! You'd get along great with my pops - he's a huge fan of big-bore magnum sturm und drang.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts