Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I already have a 480 Raging Bull and was looking to step up to the 500. Now I hear they are discontinued. What happened? :mad:

·
Registered
8,150 Posts
I haven't heard any official word on why but it's safe to speculate that demand wasn't as high as they anticipated it would be with this particular chambering. Their best sellers for the RB series are the .44s and .454s. As you're probably aware of, the .480 RB has been discontinued too, at least for the time being.

Now that Ruger is bringing their Super Redhawk back in .480, perhaps that will spur more interest in the cartridge and as a result have Taurus bring back their RB .480s as well. However this is just also just speculation on my part but would be glad if it did happen.

Your best best for a Raging Bull .500 would be to scour your local gun shops and let the owner(s) know you'd be interested in one if they happened to have one come their way and to notify you if so. Also check gunsamerica.com and gunbroker.com on a daily basis to see if any new RB listings in .500 Mag are posted.

At one point in time they had many on there every time I checked but it seems for now that's not the case. They turn up but only once in a blue moon anymore, similarly to the Ragings Hornets, Bees & Thirties.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the tips. I love my 480 and if you reload you can really make some very powerful loads. Plus you can do it with heavier bullets than can be used in the 454. It's a very fun gun to shoot. I'm also considering a Puma stainless lever gun in 480 as a companion rifle. I think it would make an awesome walking around deer gun out to 150 yards.

·
Registered
28 Posts
teacherboy said:
Thanks for the tips. I love my 480 and if you reload you can really make some very powerful loads. Plus you can do it with heavier bullets than can be used in the 454. It's a very fun gun to shoot. I'm also considering a Puma stainless lever gun in 480 as a companion rifle. I think it would make an awesome walking around deer gun out to 150 yards.
Amen to that. Some hot loads are available from Grizzly Cartridge and Buffalo Bore. The .480 is a well thought out round. Too bad it didn't catch on. Seems like there is a small but loyal following.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Buds Gun Shop has one in a 10" barreled version right now. Brand New. $849 I think. Not a bad price. Don't know where they got it from, but they got it.

Brandon

1 - 5 of 5 Posts