Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I received an email about surplus Enfields "back in stock"......so, seeing that I own one of these, I thought I'd see what they're going for these days......

.......WHAAAAAAT!!!??? That can't be!!! Five HUNDRED dollars for a No. 4 MK1 in "Fair" condition??? I'm absolutely stunned!!

First, I'll show you photos of mine.....and then I'll tell you what I paid for it:

Gun Rifle Wood Shotgun Trigger

Gun Rifle Shotgun Trigger Air gun

Backsaw Tool Antique tool

Wood

Gun Firearm Rifle Trigger Air gun

I bought this specimen back in 1992 from a Wal-Mart type store called Roses for the reasonable price of....

$75.00

Yep.....it shoots better than some of my modern rifles....and I've never put a single penny in it.

....I just wish I had bought the M1 Garand that it was sitting next to......

....it was a bit too pricey for me.....at $200.00

·
9,106 Posts
I thought Classic Firearms examples were pitiful as well. I have seen locally a few come up on Armslist for the $350 range that looked better

·
Registered
6,943 Posts
The new, never issued Lithgow No1MkIII's (1945 manufacture, made for WWII but never issued) that sat in some arsenal out in the Outback for 50 years were running about $500 when they hit the market back in the late '90's. I regret not picking one up. They had never been shot and were completely free of cosmoline. They were bone dry and so tight that you had to work to even lift the bolt. I've seen a lot of Smelly's but never anything even close to the Lithgow's.

Don't think I would drop that much on a Mk4. Never been fond of their looks. Like the sights, though.

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
A lot has changed in the last quarter of a century when you bought your Lee Enfield.
That would be somewhat of an understatement.

I had no idea.

Now, I want to know what my 1919 Swede is worth:

Gun Shotgun Air gun Wood Gun barrel

Gun Rifle Shotgun Trigger Air gun

Shotgun Cylinder

Gun Air gun Monocular Trigger

·
Super Moderator
14,014 Posts
That would be somewhat of an understatement.

I had no idea.

Now, I want to know what my 1919 Swede is worth
:

View attachment 427555

View attachment 427557

View attachment 427559

View attachment 427561
I'd say it's worth, oh . . . $55.00. Tell you what, I'll take it off your hands for $85.00, that'll cover the cost of FFL-to-FFL transfer. No need to thank me, glad to help a fellow TA member out. :D

Even if my ancestry wasn't 50% Swedish, I'd still be drooling all over my keyboard! That is gorgeous!

·
Registered
7,681 Posts
I bought a Garand about that time from a Roses in Charlotte NC for $199. The bore was toast but I re barreled and made a nice shooter. The best deal was the K98's in 7mm that KMart sold for $29.99 back in the 60's. These were absolutely perfect rifles and many were new surplus. Much later I found another deal in Davidson's Guns in Greensboro NC. They had cases of German T-22 Training rifles still in the plastic bags and covered with cosmoline. I asked about them and was told no one wanted to clean them up so they had been sitting for years. I grabbed 3 of them for $149.99 each with a dozen of the little metal magazines for each.

·
Registered
6,943 Posts
I bought a Garand about that time from a Roses in Charlotte NC for $199. The bore was toast but I re barreled and made a nice shooter. The best deal was the K98's in 7mm that KMart sold for $29.99 back in the 60's. These were absolutely perfect rifles and many were new surplus. Much later I found another deal in Davidson's Guns in Greensboro NC. They had cases of German T-22 Training rifles still in the plastic bags and covered with cosmoline. I asked about them and was told no one wanted to clean them up so they had been sitting for years. I grabbed 3 of them for $149.99 each with a dozen of the little metal magazines for each.
Cosmoline?

Nothing that a wallpaper tray, some naptha and a LOT of elbow grease can't cure.

My Portuguese '98 still weeps cosmoline out of the top handguard in hot weather. The wood is so thin that I slacked off on the cleaning in fear of screwing up the wood and still pay for it today.

·
Super Moderator
35,540 Posts
Milsurps ain't bargains anymore. I remember when you could mail order an Enfield for 30 bucks. Wasn't THAT long ago, early 90s, that Mosin Nagants were 3 for $100. Bought my SKS for $75, a Hakim for $80.

I got a K98 Mauser a while back, 150 bucks. I thought that was excellent.

·
Registered
7,681 Posts
Cosmoline?

Nothing that a wallpaper tray, some naptha and a LOT of elbow grease can't cure.

My Portuguese '98 still weeps cosmoline out of the top handguard in hot weather. The wood is so thin that I slacked off on the cleaning in fear of screwing up the wood and still pay for it today.

I cleaned up two of them and sold one to a friend. "At least he was a friend at the time of the sale." I took my two and stripped them. I used a machinery wash to clean up all the metal and having access to a vacuum moisture remover that we used for wet tobacco I left the wood in one of these at a high heat for 3 days. I had to wipe them down a couple of times a day but it worked in removing 95% of the gunk. These were two of the most accurate 22's I have ever owned.

Reactions: NativeTexan

·
Super Moderator
21,901 Posts
I have a German 8mm mauser with a bayonet. My dad got it in the 60's. He traded a box of ammo for it.
It is in very good shape and shoots dead on out to 200 yards. That's the farthest I have shot it. I'm not sure what they go for today but I plan on keeping it to pass down to my grandchildren.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Reactions: paulky_2000

·
Super Moderator
35,540 Posts
I have a German 8mm mauser with a bayonet. My dad got it in the 60's. He traded a box of ammo for it.
It is in very good shape and shoots dead on out to 200 yards. That's the farthest I have shot it. I'm not sure what they go for today but I plan on keeping it to pass down to my grandchildren.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
Not sure what your's would be valued at, either. My wife got me mine a year or more ago, was a Yugo. Yugoslavia took captured K98s and redid 'em, put Yugo stamps on 'em, but didn't issue many before they started getting SKSs and AKs from the USSR. Mine was 150 bucks, but it has Yugo stamps on it, not desirable to collectors. It's got a fresh bore, though, DANGED good shooter and that's what I wanted, not a collector's piece. :D

I have an 88 commission rifle I bought in about '76 for $27.50. Good shooter, but shoots a little high. THAT one has appreciated in value. It has some history, was rechambered for 8x57S (original was 8x57J) for use by the Volkssturm. I don't shoot it, kicks like HELL for one thing. I pity those old farts that were issued that thing. My 7 mag is easier on my shoulder. When I got my 98K, I expected to be pounded. BUT, same ammo is EASY in that rifle. I immediately became infatuated with it. :rofl:

·
Registered
5,034 Posts
I bought a No 4 Mk 1 * at Roses many years ago when they had them on sale for $50 and they let me use a $20 off coupon so I got it for $30 before taxes. A good rifle at that price !

·
Registered
345 Posts
Inflation can be blamed for at least some of the larger dollar amounts we currently see for surplus military firearms. Perhaps a more influential factor is that of supply and demand. With large numbers of the more popular milsurps being sold early on at "clearance prices" to free up armory space and for some struggling countries, to generate cash, the finite numbers of these firearms rapidly decreased. Demand plateaued and prices remained fairly stable. In recent years, for a wide variety of reasons (separate topic altogether), demand has picked up considerably. With a finite and ever dwindling supply of milsurps, prices are certain to rise. As the supplies of the more popular firearms were exhausted, interest shifted to the less or even unpopular milsurps. The process repeats itself. I'm guessing that at least a handful of entrepreneurs saw some level of potential in this market in the 60s & 70s and bought literally boatloads of foreign milsurps firearms and ammunition. I'm thinking that the companies started by those folks have done well over the years.
Like many, I too, bemoan the fact that I should have started my milsurp collecting MUCH earlier:(.
Flex

·
Super Moderator
35,540 Posts
I need to collect my milsurps for a family photo. I don't have that many, but that Hakim is so long, it's hard to get into a frame. :rofl: I have a bayonet for it, which is long, too.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts