Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Super Moderator
20,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Interesting list put together by a couple of "interesting" guys. There is a video on page 6 explaining their logic but, more pertinent than that, their spot on explanations for grandfathering and which parts of the AR are more important, etc. Worth the 10-15 minutes to go through it. I am interested in your feedback - did they list what you would have recommended? Do you agree with their logic?

http://www.mrconservative.com/2013/01/3737-5-guns-to-buy-before-the-ban/

·
Moderator in Memorium 1940-2014
13,540 Posts
Sorry it took so long; I was distracted by the 10 Most Beautiful Conservative Women.
The 10/22 is a good choice buy I'd certainly go for one of the less fancy models - maybe the new takedown model.
And a Glock for a hi-cap handgun? Nothing against them except that they're ugly but I'd rather struggle along with my PT92.
As for the other choices - Sure, as soon as the check arrives in the mail.

·
Registered
10,614 Posts
Interesting video. A lot of good advice.

Reactions: daytonaredeye

·
Super Moderator
20,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Sorry it took so long; I was distracted by the 10 Most Beautiful Conservative Women.
The 10/22 is a good choice buy I'd certainly go for one of the less fancy models - maybe the new takedown model.
And a Glock for a hi-cap handgun? Nothing against them except that they're ugly but I'd rather struggle along with my PT92.
As for the other choices - Sure, as soon as the check arrives in the mail.
Yeah, I was careful to not get distracted by the links to the female folk . . . . I was a little surprised they singled out Glock, too. And the concept of a long stick mag hanging out the butt end of that thing offered no aesthetics to appreciate . . . . The AR and AK were no big surprise.

Interesting video. A lot of good advice.
I thought their comments about the 30 round mags being worth more than the base firearm were interesting - maybe a bit over the top but interesting none the less. And their advice for stocking up on lower receivers and LR parts was something I hadn't thought about before. They could ban everything they wanted but if you had the lower receivers/parts already you could just about buy any number of upper receivers (not banned) to mount on them.

Like I said, interesting thoughts from different perspectives . . . .

Forgot to add: I was a little surprised that the 1911 didn't make the list. With a standard 8 round single stack magazine - they would now be illegal in NY . . . And they can be about as dependable as any gun out there

·
Registered
6,011 Posts
I've got the bases covered, other than I'm not getting an ugly Gblock!

·
Registered
7,241 Posts
I've got the bases covered, other than I'm not getting an ugly Gblock!
Me too, other then I'm thinking of getting another of those things you can't spell!!

Reactions: Lance0812

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Have my bases covered as well. I have pretty much the exact item or equivalent and maybe a few more beyond hehe

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
A couple of good ole boys who know a thing or two. I have their bases covered not totally by brand but by function and intent including the Glocks but rather than the 'party sticks' I have full size guns ith plenty of mags. Due to volume manufactured Glock mags are priced right and function like champs! Ruger = Mossberg 702 , Saiga = Mossberg 930 + mag tube. I missed the last sales on lowers r throwing my money at reloading but I'm set for a LOT. Of that...

·
Registered
2,898 Posts
I just ordered 2 BX 25 mags for my 10/22 , didn't even know Ruger had came out with them. I had looked at the Hot Lips from Butler Creek before and just didn't ever buy one , I'm glad I held out now. I believe they selected the Glock because they make a 33rd mag , can't think of any one else that makes a 33rd mag for a handgun. I own a G19 , I like it but I just never picked up the 33rd mag because of the cost, I bought 4 15rd mags some time back.

·
Registered
5,933 Posts
Lots of good info, but I have to agree about the Glock. Nothing against them, but I don't like the way they fit my hand.
I'll take a Taurus 809/845 with 17/10 round mags any day over them.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
:r_c:The blogger's recommendations are all good if we assume that Congress will simply re-instate the 1994 ban. At this point, no one knows whether any new ban would grandfather existing weapons. Of course, the Republicans might show a little backbone for a change and refuse to enact a ban. Then again, they might cave as they always seem to do on increases to the debt ceiling and impose a tax of $100,000 per year per firearm on all American gun owners, requiring them to pay in cash and incidentally to submit to sodomy by convicts, or by certain members of Congress.:) (I'd be pretty happy about losing all my guns in that boating accident.;)) There's no point in waving the Constitution around; it hasn't restrained Congress since FDR tossed it out the window in 1933. There's no point in relying on the Supreme Court; according to the recent ruling on Obamacare, Congress can do whatever it wants as long it calls whatever that is a tax. If a confiscatory ban is enacted, then anyone who ran out to buy banned weapons at today's panic prices would look awfully stupid.;D

·
Registered
7,759 Posts
GLOCK?? Not just no, but :icon_ devil: no. My P95 will do nicely, thank you. No Saiga SG either; my son had one and no matter what he tried it was a jam-o-matic. My Mossberg goes bang every time. Never did drink the 10/22 Kool Aid. I have one. I also have a Marlin 795 and a Marlin 60 - both will shoot rings around the 10/22. Maybe if I find a thousand-dollar bill laying on the sidewalk I'll buy an AK, but for now my AR is all-American iron. Got plenty of back-ups for those, too.

@Lance0812: WHAR 10 MOST BEAUTIFUL WIMMINZ? WHAR?!

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
ordering extra 17 rd clips for my 24/7
Clips hold ammo and are generally used to fill fixed or larger magazines. You ordered MAGAZINES M8 - a good move.
Ammunition Brass Metal Gun accessory Bullet
THESE are clips.

·
Registered
5,933 Posts

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
Here's a shot of my competition Glocks a 22 (soon to be a 35) and a 34 on the right. Occasionally they are carried - usually winter but when at home they do bedroom HD duty. The 40 is my go-to - it gets a rail light. I also have some of my mags set up with Pearce extensions (GP-XL IIRC). The 40 will go +2 and the 9mm will go +3. The gents in the video seem really stuck on the 33 rd. mag for the 9 - to each his own! A long one is made for the 40 as well - 30 rounds. They are cumbersome, you cant holster with them. In the pic the 22 with the light is at 18 rounds (17 +1) rounds with a 17 round mag as backup. The 34 is at 21 rounds (20 +1). With the 40 as a go-to with my backup mag I have 35 rounds of 40 S&W at my disposal 1 more round than a 9mm with a 'happy stick' (33 +1) and 4 more rounds than the 40mm 'stick' at 30 +1. I shoot a fair amount of competition (at least once a month) and am well practiced swapping mags - Glocks drop free every time and the mag release is right where it should be. I only keep 1 back up mag in the safe to avoid confusion (stick a 9 in a 40 or vv under stress = bad) but my wife and I have 46 rounds of hot JHP ammo between us - if we are going to run through that (and I sure hope to never go there!) then I WILL have to go to the closet :eek: :eek: - that's another story all together.

I'd prefer to keep my full firearm mobility with a well balanced gun that I can still holster. During normal times Glock mags are very affordable - $22 new and $12-15 LEO turn in. Do I but 12-15 mags for all my guns - no. I usually have 4-5 for carry guns. Am I happy with the kit in the pic - you bet! :cool:

Tool Starting pistol Trigger

Reactions: TXEric

·
Registered
5,933 Posts
I liked it, mingaa, and I'm not even a Glock fan!
Nice setup!

Reactions: mingaa

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
I figure that the ONE gun that would be for sure be banned (and that's assuming the laws go through --- and it won't) would be the AK. If anything gets on a banned list, the foreign-made products will be first. AR mfgrs, I guessing, being domestic, can throw some dollars into the fight and could wind up exempting themselves.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts