Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
34,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

For those of you that might be stocking up for the SHTF possibilities, A couple boxes of these would be a handy thing to have. ...... just sayin'

By the way, these need a 1 in 7 twist to optimize accuracy.

·
Registered
12,331 Posts
I shot through 3/8" steel (44 mag pistol target) with regular old 55 grain fmj's out of my AR15 A2 (20"), and it barely swung the target on it's way through. It moved it so little that I thought I was just nicking it, so I shot at it again then checked the target. Two holes were drilled right through the middle - and that was from a range of 75 yards. Which reminds me - I still owe my cousin a 44 mag target. :D I don't know what 'welding steel' is, but I'm guessing it's not armor plate.

I had several boxes of green tips too, and I unloaded them on a huge chunk of granite in Michigan. Normally I wouldn't shoot at a rock, but you'd have to see the location, and believe me when I tell you nothing was coming back from where that boulder was sitting. But I digress. Those green tips made a bunch of little rocks out of one big one. Every time I hit it, it knocked a chunk of granite off about the size of my fist.

5.56 will penetrate a lot more than most folks think. If you're in a car, and someone is shooting at you with a 5.56, you might as well be wrapped in paper mache.

·
Registered
12,331 Posts
Here's a mesmerizing little video that's more or less on topic -

·
Registered
36,588 Posts
Just remember "SPEED KILLS" I know i saw that exact thing on television just the other day!
the penetration of the 17 HMR or 22 WMR is quite impressive as well with solid point projectiles!

·
Registered
570 Posts
It would be interesting to see if that M855 round would have penetrated that steel plate out of a 14.5 inch M-4 barrel.

The M855 is being upgraded to M855A1. This has increased penetration from short barreled rifles.

http://

You can see the steel penetrator at the tip of the bullet.

The bullet used in the video is at the far left and has its steel penetrator inside the bullet jacket.

·
Registered
10,779 Posts
Imagine that technology in a 7.62x51 round.

·
Registered
34,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Imagine that technology in a 7.62x51 round.
That's funny, that was my first thought when I saw this video!

·
Registered
10,779 Posts
The existing 7.62x51 round of today is identical to the 7.62x51 that I carried in Vietnam. The Swedes, decades ago, designed a 7.62x51 that operated like the old 55 gr. 5.56x45. It was issued tom the Swedish military for years.

·
Administrator
40,089 Posts
I ordered and recieved 420 rounds of the green tip a week or two ago. I haven't tried any yet, and I was unaware as to the effectivness of them. Nice thing though, is they are in 10 round stripper clips, with the magazine tool, and a ammo can! :thumb:

·
Administrator
40,089 Posts
Ok, I tried some of these today. I didn't have any 1/4" steel plate, so I used four, tempered steel circular saw blades at 60 yards. Stacked, they are probably just over 1/4". Hard to believe that 62gr. bullet will pass through all of these effortlessly, but it does.

·
Registered
12,331 Posts
Try it with a regular old 55 grain fmj, and you'll probably get the same result. I shot my A2 through a 3/8" steel 44 mag spinner target, and 55 gr fmj's went through like it wasn't even there. They'll penetrate a lot more than some folks think.

·
Registered
9,191 Posts
In a good way, the over penetration is good to get 2 kills for 1 shot. But at the same time, it leaves a bit to be desired in pure stopping power if you don't hit the vitals of a native insurgent hocked up on cocaine and adrenaline. Figured we would have learned that lesson after the Filipino incident back in the early 1900's, but we all know wars are won on calculators in an accountants office.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts