Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

Administrator
Discussion Starter #1
What's the availability of this ammunition in your area? I've never looked for it until recently, and was told by a shop owner, it's pretty difficult to find. Seems true enough, at least around here.

Registered
The Internet is awash in it. A lot of shops got out of the surplus angle when the shortages hit. I also imagine that the supply of NATO ammo is about to increase dramatically after the planned draw-downs are done.

Premium Member
Try Academy. They have a ammo can of 420 rounds (I think) for around $150.

It is steel ammo, so be aware if your range has restrictions.

Registered
I can get it through one of the gun clubs I belong to, but otherwise it's pretty scarce. .223 you can buy everywhere, and there is a lot of .223/5.56 ammo available locally also. But the 5.56 NATO is, or can be, a bit higher pressure as it is used in machine guns, and not easily found locally. Since you can shoot .223 in a 5.56 chamber, but not necessarily the other way around, most ammo suppliers only sell .223 to the public.

5.56脳45mm NATO - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia See teh section on .223 vs 5.56

you can find 5.56NATO on the Internet ammo sites though.

Reactions: MilProGuy

Administrator
Discussion Starter #5
The Internet is awash in it. A lot of shops got out of the surplus angle when the shortages hit. I also imagine that the supply of NATO ammo is about to increase dramatically after the planned draw-downs are done.
I'd hope to see some bargain prices, to go along with that increased supply availability.

Super Moderator
Reactions: Jake3501

Registered
Two of my local wal marts started to carry American Eagle 5.56 but before that they only sold .223. They don't stock very much but it's more than before.

Registered
very popular with us here in england both military and civy use.

can easy get hold of brass and dies.

great middle of the range round- good up to 600m

great in our sa80's assault rifle

easy to reload and does not use up too much powder too

Member Emeritus 1946-2018

Registered
I have a savage 110fp in .223 and 556 goes through it too-outstanding waepon

Registered
No way is it hard to find around here. XM193 and M855 and even tracers are plentiful and relatively cheap at my LGS (Larry's P&P). So is .223 from plinking to SD to hunting options. Federal Lake City xm193 is $5.95 for 20 round boxes, Lake City Penetrators (M855) is about $6.50 for 20 round boxes, and American Eagle 5.56 and AE .223 is $30 for 100 round boxes.

Registered
Around Pittsburgh 5.56 and. 223 both go on sale pretty frequently, usually in alternating sales. Alot of times the 5.56 is in steel cases, but since i don't own a weapon in either caliber i don't keep up with the price overall. Even the local Walmarts keep. 223 on stock pretty frequently in 20 round boxes, usually Remington and Winchester.

Banned
My local Walmart has it as well as Gander Mtn.

Administrator
Discussion Starter #14
I discovered yesterday, the Wal-Mart I frequent, in Lubbock, has 5.56 in the bulk packaging. 420 rounds I believe I was told, at 2 cents per round cheaper than .223. Shops are awash in .223, just shop around for your price.

Administrator
It's available locally but it's pricey. As soon as I get my new press set up, I intend to buy some 223/5.56 dies and start reloading it. That will be the second caliber I reload for, most likely.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts