Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

Administrator
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there really a fourth gen mil pro. I haven't heard of any such thing but here. Guys at my gun shop haven't heard of it either.

Doesn't mean it's not so though. :???:

Registered
I recently bought a sightly used 145 milpro. I called Taurus to find out how old the gun was based on the serial number. The representative told me it was made this year, 2007. Then I asked if it was a 4th generation and was told, "Yes."

Administrator
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So my PT145 must be a 4th generation. Anyone know the differences in 3rd and 4th generation pistols? :eek:

Premium Member
kentuckyshooter said:
I recently bought a sightly used 145 milpro. I called Taurus to find out how old the gun was based on the serial number. The representative told me it was made this year, 2007. Then I asked if it was a 4th generation and was told, "Yes."
That makes me wonder even more! Rep said it was 4th generation!! Gee, guess I will have to call and see what they say about my PT111. Or do I really care!!

Premium Member
Unless there is a "feature" difference, then it doesn't matter. The first three generations marked specific demarcations of Taurus features... Millennium, Millennium Pro, and Millennium Pro dovetail sights & SA/DA trigger. If there are no difference in the features, it doesn't matter.

Registered
Took delivery of a new PT 145 Millennium Pro 3rd Gen. last Friday afternoon. Went directly the our shooting rang (no cleaning or lubing.) and fired app. 100 rounds of various types of ammo. through it with not as much a burp. It functioned flawlessly with U.S.230 FMJ, then some of flattest nose HP I ever saw. I loaded them in 1983, followed by some Remington 200 gr. Gold and some other factory HP's I had around. The only thing it wouldn't cycle with was with some 185 gr. SWC with 3.5 Bullseye that I loaded for my Colt Commander. The cartridge just didn't have enough pressure to completely cycle the weapon and left the empty in the chamber. I do not classify this as a weapon malfunction, but rather ammo not suited for the pistol. The pistol is a delight to shoot, far rather shot it than my Kel-tec P11. My only problem is a very scratchy trigger in double action with a average trigger pull of 7 lbs. 9.5 oz., and a single action pull with an average of 6 lbs. 6.8 oz. In keeping I have one question to ask. Have any of you had your PT 145 gone over by a good smith re trigger job ect. and if so let me know what the before and after results
were and app. what it ran to have the work done. I am leaning in that direction and would like to know if you found it worth the investment.

I read just about everything your folks wrote about the PT 145 before ordering and really enjoyed doing so. Learned a lot and helped me make up my mind whether or not this was the pistol for me. I'm seventy-six and just wanted one more pistol that I could really fall in love with and I think I now have it. Thank you all.

Registered
The PT145 is the next gun I'm getting as soon as I get my FL permit.

I would not bother doing a full blown trigger job/springs as this is a CCW, not a target one. However what I'd do is to polish the sear and sear notch and file all the parts that need some "smoothing around". That should get rig of the creep and bring down the trigger force without going too light.

Just my .02...

Registered
OOPS---there goes that theory. My friend just bought a new PT-111 that does not have a rail. I wonder what generation it is.

Registered
I think that maybe I know the difference now. The gen.3 is DAO and the gen.4 is SA/DA. My new PT-145 is single action after I slide the action but if the cartridge does not go bang I can squeeze the trigger again (double action) to give it another try.

Registered
OOPS AGAIN---I guess that I have a generation 3. There must not be a generation 4.
I don't care what it is I love this thing!

Registered
Trigger job would not be that nescesary but I did polish the striker and the channel it rides in. Only try this if you are comfortable dissassembling one. I used 600 and 1000 grit sand paper and then valve lapping compound. If you use the compound make sure you clean it well afterwards. Also make sure you are not dragging on the inside of the polymer frame (right side).

Administrator
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well, after all the discussion, I would say no for now. :drool:

Registered
I just spoke to a CSR at Taurus on a PT140 I am buying and asked about a Gen 4, he said Nope, no such thing now, but maybe later in the year. He couldn't/wouldn't tell me anymore about the topic. Stay tuned, I guess...
:D
BTW, Thanks to everyone on this board. I used it a lot in my research into the PT140 I'm buying for carry. I was unsure if I wanted another 9mm (I have a Taurus PT92 that's 15 years old) or another 40 (have an M&P Full size) or my first 45. After reading the board, my decision was made on the PT140 over the Springfield Armory XD & Smith & Wesson M&P Compacts. I picked up a new Gen 3 in Tan for less than $290. Pretty good deal.

One bit of misinformation I did come across, a lot of people said you can tell if the pistol is a Gen 3 by the 1st or 2nd digit in the serial number. The Gen 3 always have a Z, that is no longer the case. My gun was manufactured in May 07 and doesn't have a Z in the serial number. Just another way Taurus can confuse us, something they are really good at. :-\

1 - 20 of 26 Posts