Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just purchased a new lyman 49th edition reloading manual & what a let down. Poor choice of bullets for the 9x18. Three calibers i load for my tc not even in the manual. Don't get me wrong it may be a good one for other people but just not for me! If your going to buy a new manual check all of them before you purchase one. I will next time.

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
Check out Hodgdons. They put a new one out every year. I have the Lyman 49th ed. along with 2011 Hodgdons, Hornady's 8th, and Lee's 2nd.

·
Administrator
35,116 Posts
I'm trying to decide which book to buy next.....the only one I have is the Hornady 9th edition.

·
Super Moderator
40,397 Posts
What is the best book for hard cast loads?

Everytime I see a book in the store that the plastic shrink wrap has been removed already I look it over, never seems to have the info I am looking for with hard cast bullets. Most of my load data is coming from online sources.

·
Registered
3,749 Posts
Please keep in mind that there is not a single manual produced that has it all. I have over a hundred manuals and product load guides and I still end up with: "OH WELL, I'll give it a try and see what happens" situations. EXAMPLE: I was presented with 5 pounds of Winchester Action Pistol powder. This powder was on the market for only a short period of time back in the 90's. I found data for 44 Special in a Hornady book and some for 45, 9, and 40 in a Winchester brochure. I want to use the powder in 38 Special and plinker 41 Magnum. I set up a test and development procedure and now I can use the powder as I want. And it is always fun to develop, test and document load development.

Reactions: BBGun

·
Registered
339 Posts
What is the best book for hard cast loads?

Everytime I see a book in the store that the plastic shrink wrap has been removed already I look it over, never seems to have the info I am looking for with hard cast bullets. Most of my load data is coming from online sources.
i think the Lee 2nd ed. has the most extensive load data, it's compiled from many sources. alot of data for cast. it hasn't been updated in awhile so there are some new powders that are not in there, pickup a Hogdon Annual Manual for those.

·
Super Moderator
40,397 Posts
i think the Lee 2nd ed. has the most extensive load data, it's compiled from many sources. alot of data for cast. it hasn't been updated in awhile so there are some new powders that are not in there, pickup a Hogdon Annual Manual for those.
Lee is the one I use the most. I have been using Bullseye powder, I can get it at a decent price without having to order 8#'s+ online. It is about the only powder I can get on a consistent basis locally, and I have been able to come up with nice loads for the calibers I am using. Based on the available load data it can be tricky to come up with a starting load sometimes. My newest approach will be to e-mail them and see it they will give me a starting load for something not in their book.

I have been reloading for a only 1 year, so developing my own loads without a suggested starting point is not an option.

·
10,379 Posts
I use my Lee primarily, the Lyman has some .270 loads I'll use. For lead I've got some off the wall book my neighbor gave me, when I get home I'll take a look at it and post the title.

·
Registered
36,026 Posts
Yes sir, no single manual will cover everything that you are looking for, many of the big name powder companies will have association with Bullet manufatcures and vice versa so you get loading that use company parts usually.
I find myself using the Lee Second edition manual more than any other, Lyman possibly second, but i use a lot of powder manufactures print outs as well.

·
Administrator
17,592 Posts
I've had very good luck with the Lyman Manuals. Don't have the 49th yet, still using my 48th. Lots of good loads for cast and jacketed bullets.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts