Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone here changed a firing pin on a 462 revolver? I can send the gun back to Rossi but that's about $45 for shipping and I thought I might try and do it myself. Doesn't seem like too big a deal but thought I would ask if someone has some pointers.

·
32,496 Posts
If you are a shade tree gunsmith then sending the revolver to them would be a good idea. That way 100% guarentee can be made on fit and function. While I applaud trying to save some money, the consequences of putting in a new firing pin and getting it right are not worth voiding the warranty by doing this ones self. Safety and function issues are another concern. While not rocket science most of this work is best left to a trained gunsmith. Prefrerrably one who is qualified and that knows that particular brand of gun.I do not know your qualifications as a gunsmith, but asking for pointers gives me some knwowedge as to that. More money may have to be spent if things do not go well or the revolver does not function to specs. Just things to consider. There are gunsmithing videos out for Taurus revolvers, but I have not seen them out yet for Rossis. If I am wrong about the videos, someone please correct this. Also just trying to stave off potential problems for later.

·
Registered
36 Posts
If it were me, I get a price from a local gun smith & do some comparison. It may be $45 for shipping but what about wait time? I'd be concerned about tying up the gun for a long time especially if it was my carry piece.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies. I called Rossi (Taurus) and they will send me the parts I need at no charge :thumb: but did warn me that if something gets broke obviously it won't be under warranty to repair it. I'll probably find a local 'smith to change it out for me.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just an update. I received the new firing pin from Taurus in like 3 days and had the dealer that I bought the gun from change it for me for no charge. Gun shoots great!

·
Registered
90 Posts
I had a firing pin break on my 351 Rossi about a month ago. My smith fixed it for $35.00..runs like a champ now.

·
Super Moderator
35,016 Posts
I had a 971 snap a firing pin. Got it back from Interarms (the importers at the time) and it snapped again the first range trip. I took it to my smith, he said it needed "proper fitting" and never had a problem with it again. I wouldn't sent it back, personally. I'd get a good smith to put it on.

I've heard of two other Rossis and a M13 Smith and Wesson snapping the hammer mounted firing pins, too. My M971, I know, was not abused by dry firing or anything. This is why I don't carry a gun with a hammer mounted firing pin for serious social work. May be paranoia, but when it happens to you, you get a little antsy about it. LOL I prefer the Ruger/Taurus frame mounted inertial firing pin. I have heard of the return spring breaking on 'em, but never seen it happen nor do I know anyone to whom it HAS happened, one of those rumor things.

I'm probably paranoid. Tens of thousands of M10s have ridden in the holsters of police officers, every one of 'em with a hammer mounted firing pin. But, I still prefer the frame mounted ones.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts