Taurus Firearm Forum banner

460 Rowland Conversion

4K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  Pyro Chuck 
#1 ·
I currently own 2 PT1911 and now I am very curious about the 460 Rowland conversion kits for the 1911. Are there any Taurus PT1911 owners here that any experience with it? Can this conversion even be done with a Taurus? How's the 45acp accuracy with the Rowland barrel?

Thanks,
Chuck

#4 ·
The 460 is a hot round. It headspace off of the case mouth and case is longer than 45 acp to keep it from being used in a 45 acp. Like the 357 and 44 mag are longer than 38 and 44 special rounds for same reason. Difference is they headspace off of rim instead of case mouth and shorter special rounds can be used in magnum guns. Unless the extractor picks up and holds the 45 acp as loaded from mag it will go down into barrel too deep for firing pin to hit primer. The rounds are not interchangeable. The 460 runs extremely high chamber pressure is the reason all 1911 frames are not suitable for it. I am not personally a fan of it, those that love it sing high praise for it. Friend deer hunts with one very successfully. I would suggest you research it and find one you can shoot. Stay within load data, not a round to push beyond recommendations.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.