Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey yawl, dont know if this is the right place for this but its something i learned today. im relatively new to reloading and i started to reload .45 to use in my 24/7 pro. i took about 100 rnds of my reloads to the range a few weeks ago and had nothing but trouble with the 24/7 from feeding to ejecting. today i took the 24/7 and my new pt1911 out to the range, i fed the 24/7 factory ammo and had no issues at all. i fed the pt1911 the same reloads the 24/7 wouldnt eat, with no problems at all. so i guess from now on i will use factory loads in the 24/7 and continue to reload for the pt1911. i found this to be very helpful since i carry the 24/7 in the arizona back country and would hate find this out in a sticky situation.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Have you compaired your completed rounds to SAMI specs? You may want to use your calipers and check to see where your reloads vary from the factory round dimensions. Once you find the variance you will be able to change the suspect die position. Reload a few rounds and check the dimensions. If all is correct you should be good to go. Best of luck on your problem.

·
Super Moderator
35,365 Posts
OAL can be very important to feeding reliability in some guns. Bullet nose shape is important in some guns. About every gun has a different appetite. Some will eat anything (like my Ruger P90:D). You just need to work with the OAL and bullet until you find something the 24/7 likes. If in doubt, load 230 ball to max OAL and at an adequate power level to reliably cycle the slide. Me, I load a 200 grain cast Lee SWC tumble lubed design bullet in front of 5.0 grains Bullseye and live happy. ;D

·
Administrator
18,190 Posts
I consume very little Factory Ammunition and my .45 24/7 OSS is feeding my 200 grn Flat Pointed IPSC Match loading just fine! You might also check the freebore in front of your 24/7's chamber. You might be into the rifling and your loads may be just a bit too long for it.

Using your 24/7's barrel as a gauge, seat bullets until they can just drop freely into the Chamber. I recommend only 0.05 inch of bullet shank exposed from the case mouth. My Tanfoglio .45's require this and your 24/7 might also. I've not bothered to measure what I might be able to get away with on my 24/7 .45 OSS, as all of my .45's must digest the same loads.

·
Registered
384 Posts
+1 on jwc007 recomendation. Remove the barrel from your 24/7 and simply drop in the finished rounds. If they fall in with out effort they will most likely load and eject when fired. OAL is an extremely important measurement. My .45 Witness is very touchy on cartridge length. I shoot 230gr truncated flat nose from a Lee mold and had to take them all the way down to 1.20" to finally get them to chamber properly. I used the "drop in the barrel" method and now everything works just fine.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts