Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got about 400 or so pieces of brass all prepped and ready to load, all range pick up brass. While punching out the primers, I noticed some had small primers but most had large primers.

What's the deal? Is one more desirable or function better than the other? Just feels like I have more work ahead of me...

·
Administrator
35,627 Posts
Follow the money. It's either cheaper to put a small pistol primer in a 45acp case, or there is some other cost saving thing going on.

Save up your small pistol primer cases and run a batch of 100, then use them when you can't retrieve your brass easily. Or, if somebody is picking up your brass without your permission. ;)

·
Registered
6,809 Posts
What TTG said.

Keep them segregated and run them as a separate batch.

·
Super Moderator
37,560 Posts
I've never loaded them because I didn't need to, but they're there in case...

I suspect that the SP rounds are eco friendly or something. I can usually spot them as the interior of the case is much cleaner. Just a guess..

Reactions: JeeperCreeper

·
Registered
18,376 Posts
I have a couple hundred SP cases stuck away in a ziplock bag. As for one being more valuable it has to be the LP just because they are by far the most common. I just hang on to the SP cases as a just in case thing.

·
Registered
7,681 Posts
I pick up the brass after our classes and have a couple of gallon coffee cans of SP 45 cases. I just save them and load them when needed. I've found no difference in LP and SP cases as far as performance. As long as you can keep them separated they load just fine.

Reactions: darbo

·
Registered
340 Posts
I only reload large primers 445 ACP. The culprit for using small pistol primers is federal for the most part. Winchester and blazer do not. I basically threw away all the small pistol primers brass Since I have no use for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
6,735 Posts
I wish .45acp were all small primers, one less thing to change on my progressive:)

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
I use em. They go bang when I pull the trigger.

Reactions: JeeperCreeper

·
Super Moderator
40,649 Posts
I load them and use them. When primers were hard to come by a few years ago I was glad I had the Small Pistol Prime .45ACP brass. Large Pistol Primers were nearly impossible to find for a while.

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So, basically, the general consensus is that they're throwaways. Not because they don't function well, but because they're just plain annoying when you find so few as compared to the large primer casings. Kind of what I figured but doesn't hurt to ask the forum members with their infinite wisdom for guidance ;) I do like the idea of passing them off to some jerk stealing my brass though :rofl:

·
Super Moderator
40,649 Posts
I bet in my neck of the woods they are 30% SPP so I don't treat them as throw a ways. Easy enough to sort out when inspecting brass.

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Just don't try ramming a large primer into the small primer hole. :eek:
Like an old Dutchman I knew would say, "What did the monkey say to the elephant? If it don't fit, don't force it." :rofl:

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I bet in my neck of the woods they are 30% SPP so I don't treat them as throw a ways. Easy enough to sort out when inspecting brass.
Fair enough but the ratio I had was much less. I'll hang onto them for the time being but I don't expect I'll be loading them anytime soon.

Reactions: Fishinkeylargo

·
Super Moderator
37,560 Posts

·
Registered
4,952 Posts
A while back, during the Great Ammo Shortage of '09, LP primers became hard to come by, so the SP .45 cases were handy.

I have a few hundred cleaned and prepped and stashed back in the back of the cabinet just in case the zombies scoop up all the LP primers again.

But any I find now, I just mix with any .45 GAP cases I find and scatter on an IDPA stage when a brass pirate starts actively scrounging other people's brass.

·
Registered
7,681 Posts
If you're not going to reload them then give them to a member or someone else who will. I've done that with 380, 9mm and 40. Most folks will gladly reimburse the postage.

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
If you're not going to reload them then give them to a member or someone else who will. I've done that with 380, 9mm and 40. Most folks will gladly reimburse the postage.
I have actually considered this. List them in the Pay it Forward thread just because. I'd want to get some more before I'd do that though. I probably only have about 20 out of the 400 I prepped.

·
Supporting SuperModerator
15,298 Posts
I have actually considered this. List them in the Pay it Forward thread just because. I'd want to get some more before I'd do that though. I probably only have about 20 out of the 400 I prepped.
Save up enough to fill a "if it fits, it ships" USPS box and I'll trade you 1:1

1 - 20 of 29 Posts