Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im reading that full weight 230 grain slugs from Golden Saber, SXT, and the original Talon turn full size 5" barreled 1911s into great brush guns for deer.

Im wondering if this is so as i really want a 1911, but it would have to do double duty.

·
Administrator
18,467 Posts
While I fully believe that the .45 ACP will kill Deer (I've done it with a 9mm to the head) you may wish to check your local and State Regulations, as some have Power Floor and Caliber Restrictions on what you can use.

Here in the PRI (Peoples Republic of Illinois) we have a minimum requirement of .357 Magnum and Semi-Auto Pistols are banned from hunting use, and a .45 ACP Revolver would not be allowed.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I was thinking about using my PT1911 for hunting this year. There are some bow blinds that I could use, just need to find some ammo.

·
Super Moderator
35,598 Posts
I have never seen the 1911, even a Gold Cup, that was accurate enough for hunting much past 50 yards. Of course, it ain't powerful enough for hunting much past 25 yards. Me, I'll stick with my Contender and my Blackhawks. If I want to hunt with a .45, I have a nice .45 Colt blackhawk that chunks a 300 grain XTP at near 1200 fps. Should be good 'nuf for 100 yards, though I'd limit shots to not much over 50 with its iron sights. That thing is super accurate, too.

·
32,788 Posts
The newist Shooting Illustrated put out by the NRA has such an article to a point. Using heavier bullets than 230 grains,loads, and circusmstances are all covered in it.

These are max loads and one has to take the necessary precautions to stay within safe limits. These loads can be used for deer or slightly heavier game.

One other caveat. Most states have a power limit on how much or what calibers can be used for hunting.Magnum power calibers or something similar may be the only ones allowed. Regular calibers such as the.38 Special through the .45ACP may not be allowed regardless of how much foot pounds of energy put out by hotrodded loads.

Check local hunting laws before proceeding.

This has already been stated, but decided to emphasize that all again.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Well, I say you carry your 1911 45acp with some Corbon DPX or favorite loads in an external speed holster and then take a cheap 30-06 rifle to hunt. Instead of shooting with the rifle, then you pull the 45 and see how effective it is. hahahaha.........just kidding. Check with your state regulations.........I know they have a mag capacity of 5 rounds maximum also for hunting...........but you are allowed to take a back up handgun which would be your 45acp.
I take my Glock .40 S&W as a backup and I hunt with a .308 Rifle. I load the glock with snake-shots though.........its like blue pellets in a plastic bullet and it supposed to spread like a shotgun. I may put about 4 shots of snake shots and the remaining federal or corbon in the clip. I then take an extra clip with just corbon or federal or mixed on my holster.

·
32,788 Posts
Kashdaddy, I soften up the area with a 60mm. mortar and then go in with the Uzi.Collect more game that way. Obviously really kidding and in jest folks. :)

That would be as bad as fishing with dynamite. :-\
Between the mess and being illegal it wouldn't be worth it.
Had box lunches in the USAF that tasted like that though. ;)

·
Moderator Emeritus, with us always.
15,931 Posts
I can now see another use for THE JUDGE. :D You could use bird shot shells in a couple holes, and some hi power JHP in the other three. :p

Rotate the cylinder according to what your gonna shoot. Bird shot for snakes, or varmints. JHP for the important stuff. :-X

And in those 5 shot states, you only got 5 to start with. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
101 Posts
It will def. kill a deer. "A friend of mine" killed one with a .22. The law in Arkansas where I used to live was you could hunt with anything centerfire. I personally think the law was dumb, because that would mean you could hunt with a .25, and you would have to be 10 feet away to kill a deer with that. I would like to start hunting with a pistol as well, but I would not take my 9mm, just not enough juice. I dont want to take the chance of wounding a deer.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Yo da man! Hunting with a handgun. Me I won't use a handgun on anything bigger the a large man and less the 25 yards. I'm sure some can put hole in an animal at further distances, I just prefer something in 30 cal for big game, .308, 30-06 or 30-30 One shot kills at 50 yards and more is the best I can hope for. Can't convince Bambi to stand still long enough at 7 yards so I can put one in his eye. :D

·
Registered
235 Posts
stephpd said:
Yo da man! Hunting with a handgun. Me I won't use a handgun on anything bigger the a large man and less the 25 yards. I'm sure some can put hole in an animal at further distances, I just prefer something in 30 cal for big game, .308, 30-06 or 30-30 One shot kills at 50 yards and more is the best I can hope for. Can't convince Bambi to stand still long enough at 7 yards so I can put one in his eye. :D
There are plenty of people who hunt with big bore revolvers, and shoot at long distances (50 yards or so) to kill. Its all about having a rest. There is a very good article out there about a guy who hunts exclusively with a handgun, I think it was in guns and ammo, or shooting times. It was pretty enlightening.

For me though, its still the .30-30.

·
Registered
663 Posts
stephpd said:
Me I won't use a handgun on anything bigger the a large man and less the 25 yards.
I was reading about a .44 mag handgun that looked like a rifle with no stock. (Don't remember the name.) About the only way you could shoot it standing up is with a pod. A power load should hit pretty good with that.

JimL

1 - 13 of 13 Posts