Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was thumbing through P.O. Ackley's 1962 - 'Handbook For Shooters and Reloaders', and came across load data for the .454 Magnum. A cartridge developed by Jack Fullmer and Dick Casull. The loads given were tested in a Winchester '92 and a 5 shot heavily modified .45 Colt, Colt Frontier Model.

The brass they used was standard .45 Colt with solid heads. The primer pockets were altered to accept Remington 9-1/2 primers. The compressed powder charges were of the duplex and triplex variety. Not exactly for the faint of heart.

Up to 3 powders were dropped into the case and they had to be entered in the order given. They were shooting 250 grain lead to 1890 fs out of the modified Colt. 2,000 fs using 230 gr. lead!

A triplex load for the '92 lever action is listed using layers of Unique, 2400 and Bullseye, that pushed a 230 gr. bullet... 2,315 fs. 2,185 fs using 250 gr. lead!

The .44 Magnum data listed on the very next page showed its quickest 240 gr. load, paled in comparison at 1,425 fs.

Here Buddy, let me hold your beer!

Attachments

·
Registered
969 Posts
I would not entertain any thought of using duplex loads. They're not necessary and there is greater powder selection than what Dick Casull had to work with. Essentially, he used a very fast burning powder below a much slower one to ensure a complete burn of the slower powder, and to create a higher pressure level.

Today, there's plenty of good data for the .454 Casull with powders that will get you to the higher operating pressures, should you need them. I'm sure there's data at the Hodgdon Online Reloading Center and definitely at the Accurate and Ramshot sites. Or just go here: Western Powders and download their latest handloading guide.;)

·
Super Moderator
35,025 Posts
Well, Smith and Wesson has gone beyond the .454 with the .460 S&W Magnum.

For a long time I desired a Freedom Arms .454 Casull revolver. I'd still like to have one, but that's a lot of money and I really have no need past my magnumized .45 Colts in my Ruger Blackhawk.

Reactions: 57K

·
Registered
36,115 Posts
thats my take on the cartridge---WHY??
I personally have no use for that cartridge mysef.
now i am sure there are a few very select occasions that certain people MAY need that much power in a pistol but even then why not a short barrled carbine where you have more gun to hang on to, increased velocity of a longer barrel and likley more capacity in a less recoiling round---OH --never mind I forgot---Cause we are MEN thats why!

Reactions: jtg452

·
Registered
810 Posts
Why you ask? All I can say is...…………..

Reactions: Lomax

·
Super Moderator
35,025 Posts
thats my take on the cartridge---WHY??
I personally have no use for that cartridge mysef.
now i am sure there are a few very select occasions that certain people MAY need that much power in a pistol but even then why not a short barrled carbine where you have more gun to hang on to, increased velocity of a longer barrel and likley more capacity in a less recoiling round---OH --never mind I forgot---Cause we are MEN thats why!
First thing that comes to mind is handgun hunting. If you're going to enjoy handgun hunting, kinda takes a handgun. :rofl: Now, deer don't take this much power, but elk/bear.........

·
Registered
16,969 Posts
I've developed a habit of never shooting a handgun where immediately after
I fire it the barrel comes back at the speed of light and slams into my forehead.

·
Registered
7,681 Posts
I have a Ruger Alaskan in 454. Why, because I wanted one. I admit one of the reasons I wanted it is so I can shoot my hot and heavy 45 Colt loads without worry but I found that I can hand load the 454 Casull cases to suit about anything I want to do with it. I don't hunt and fish in big bear country anymore but it is still reassuring to have it when camping in black bear and hog country. I also like having it along when riding ATV's. A rifle or shotgun can get pretty beat up fast.

·
Registered
6,392 Posts
I've developed a habit of never shooting a handgun where immediately after
I fire it the barrel comes back at the speed of light and slams into my forehead.
That's plumb reasonable.

Who are you and what have you done with the real Rickenbacher?:mad:

·
Registered
36,115 Posts
First thing that comes to mind is handgun hunting. If you're going to enjoy handgun hunting, kinda takes a handgun. :rofl: Now, deer don't take this much power, but

elk/bear.........
CONTENDER!!!
then you can choose the caliber for the game, its much more accurate and you can actually get rifle calibers instead of made up like almost rifle calibers--bet its cheaper as well.

·
Registered
36,115 Posts
That's plumb reasonable.

Who are you and what have you done with the real Rickenbacher?:mad:
indeed!! --I smell something that dunt seem right here!!!

Attachments

Reactions: MOONDAWG

·
Premium Member
16,955 Posts

·
Super Moderator
35,025 Posts
CONTENDER!!!
then you can choose the caliber for the game, its much more accurate and you can actually get rifle calibers instead of made up like almost rifle calibers--bet its cheaper as well.
Yeah, well, I've shot 5 deer with a contender, myself, .30-30 and 2x LER optic. Yeah, it's a 1 1/2 MOA pistol and my longest so far was 90 yards. It's my fave hunting pistol. But, some folks think they need more'n one shot. They believe in spray and pray, I guess. The Desert Eagle is probably the gun for them. :laugh:

·
Registered
969 Posts
If I were really into the 30,000 PSI Colt thing, I wouldn't mind having a .454 revolver. Might even just load .454 down to the same level. I think the Raging Bull might be a good option, and then there are the Rugers in several flavors. Wish I hadn't missed the boat when the Raging Bull was available in .41 Magnum; my personal favorite handgun hunting cartridge.;)

·
Registered
7,681 Posts
I've had a few hunting handguns in my lifetime and really enjoy the sport. I've had a couple of Contenders in calibers from 22lr to 30 Herett, 30 30, 44 mag to 223. I also hunted with a 10 inch Ruger Super Blackkhawk and a 8 inch model 29 S&W. I've taken 5 deer and 2 hogs so far with a 5&1/2 inch Vaquero in 45 Colt when they walked under my tree stand. For those that like a little more challenge I highly suggest trying handgun hunting. Big game or varmints it doesn't matter as both are a lot of fun.

·
Super Moderator
35,025 Posts
I've had a few hunting handguns in my lifetime and really enjoy the sport. I've had a couple of Contenders in calibers from 22lr to 30 Herett, 30 30, 44 mag to 223. I also hunted with a 10 inch Ruger Super Blackkhawk and a 8 inch model 29 S&W. I've taken 5 deer and 2 hogs so far with a 5&1/2 inch Vaquero in 45 Colt when they walked under my tree stand. For those that like a little more challenge I highly suggest trying handgun hunting. Big game or varmints it doesn't matter as both are a lot of fun.
A good accurate .22 handgun is a lot of fun on squirrels, too. :D

1 - 20 of 54 Posts