Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
has anyone owned a wheel gun is this caliber? and can you fire .45 colt from it?

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
I don't own one, but the 5in Raging Bull in .454 is on the short list...I might even sell my Sig once I get my PT1911 (already paid for) and get the RBull...

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Gray_Wolf said:
I don't own one, but the 5in Raging Bull in .454 is on the short list...I might even sell my Sig once I get my PT1911 (already paid for) and get the RBull...
Mine too i'm trying to get a job as a well tender and you can carry, i think it will stop a black bear. this is why i want one

·
Super Moderator
35,588 Posts
.454 is just a slightly longer .45 Colt loaded to high as heck pressures and much as with the .38/.357, they can both be fired in a .454 caliber gun. I'd like to have one some day, but for now, my .45 Colt Blackhawk is all I really need in .45 caliber for around here. We don't have big bears or even little bears, LOL, and the Colt would take little bears. I usually carry a .357 for a hiking gun in black bear country, though, lighter and fully capable on any black bear. The .454 is a big hoss, mostly a great hunting revolver caliber for BIG critters. Be a good hog gun. And, if I lived in Alaska, I might get one, though I'd probably want a .460 up there or just tote my shotgun everywhere. LOL

·
Registered
212 Posts
Yes, you can fire .45 Colts through it. The only issue with shooting .45 colt is that most of them are solid lead projectiles, which will foul a barrel fairly quickly. It's easy enough to clean.

NativeTexan....it is a great hog gun, that is all I use mine for.

·
Registered
384 Posts
There is no plausable reason to own a 454 Casull in this part of the country; no bears, moose, alligators, lions or rinos. Ammo is exspensive, the weapon weights as much as a small rifle and the recoil, as I've been told, will move a good size guy back an inch or two. With all that said, I really want one!! Would like to hear a range report sometime from a proud ( and deaf) owner.

·
Registered
212 Posts
rainman said:
Ammo is exspensive, the weapon weights as much as a small rifle and the recoil, as I've been told, will move a good size guy back an inch or two.
The ammo is expensive, but that is fairly irrelevant, as this isn't a plinking or target pistol. I normally fire 5-10 rounds to confirm accuracy when we go to the ranch. After that, each shot is a kill. I can get by with 1 box of 20 Hornady's for a normal hunting trip.

It is quite heavy and probably similar in weight to a carbine. I find it much easier to carry in the bush than a rifle. Also, when set up to ambush a trail, it is much easier to maneuver without as much obvious movement to my prey.

The recoil is heavy, but your source has exaggerated it. It kicks, but it isn't going to fly out of your hands and pop you in the forehead. It won't push you back either. For a little perspective, my hunting loads carry about the same energy as a 25.06 rifle round.

I have only shot it once without ear protection. I won't do that again, even if I have to avoid a shot.

·
Registered
384 Posts
kingofwylietx said:
The ammo is expensive, but that is fairly irrelevant, as this isn't a plinking or target pistol. I normally fire 5-10 rounds to confirm accuracy when we go to the ranch. After that, each shot is a kill. I can get by with 1 box of 20 Hornady's for a normal hunting trip.

It is quite heavy and probably similar in weight to a carbine. I find it much easier to carry in the bush than a rifle. Also, when set up to ambush a trail, it is much easier to maneuver without as much obvious movement to my prey.

The recoil is heavy, but your source has exaggerated it. It kicks, but it isn't going to fly out of your hands and pop you in the forehead. It won't push you back either. For a little perspective, my hunting loads carry about the same energy as a 25.06 rifle round.

I have only shot it once without ear protection. I won't do that again, even if I have to avoid a shot.

Everyone deserves one "big gun". For us in the corn belt where the largest critter is a whitetail, there really isn't much "need" for a caliber of this size. For you that hunt with or live near beasts that can eat you the gun makes much more sense. With all that said, I would still someday like to add one to the collection just becasue I can ;D!

·
Moderator Emeritus, with us always.
15,931 Posts
rainman said:
Everyone deserves one "big gun". For us in the corn belt where the largest critter is a whitetail, there really isn't much "need" for a caliber of this size. For you that hunt with or live near beasts that can eat you the gun makes much more sense. With all that said, I would still someday like to add one to the collection just becasue I can ;D!
well said, I know, my son told me to get a 9 mm or 38 for my first gun, but DAD in his wisdom, bought the JUDGE. Yeah probably because of all my years watching cowboy movies and Sat serials at the movie house. Hop a Long Cassidy, John Steele, Roy Rogers just to mention a few. I actually was a little bummed out when I found it was a 5 rd gun. But it is big enough to handle most varmints, and zombies here in KY. Pretty sure it would slow down the few brown bears that have been seen.
Would I buy another 45 colt, in a heart beat if the price was right. Do I need one, NO!!! But it would make a heck of a CCW, in a snubby version, with the right holster. For me, 454 460, do not mean a thing but that 45 colt talks to me in ways I cannot explain.
My 9 mm and my 357 are nice on the belt, but out on the farm they do not talk to me, they just sit there ready to help me if needed.

·
Super Moderator
35,588 Posts
rainman said:
There is no plausable reason to own a 454 Casull in this part of the country; no bears, moose, alligators, lions or rinos. Ammo is exspensive, the weapon weights as much as a small rifle and the recoil, as I've been told, will move a good size guy back an inch or two. With all that said, I really want one!! Would like to hear a range report sometime from a proud ( and deaf) owner.
Well, I don't NEED a .454. My Blackhawk loaded with 300 grainers to 1200 fps will stop any hog and I have a Contender I use the most for hunting, anyway. Thing is ungodly accurate and my favorite game barrel is a .30-30. It puts a 150 grain Nosler BT out at 2100 fps and packs 1000 ft lbs at 200 yards. It'll put 'em into 3" at 200 yards, also and it has a 3" point blank range (a term usually used for rifles) of about 225 yards. With a 2x scope, it's a critter gitter.

However, I just WANT a .454, too. I need no other reason, LOL! And, we have hogs here. While my Ruger .45 is plenty for 'em, the .454 would be good medicine, too. Heck, I have more'n one hunting rifle, don't hunt with 'em all at the same time. Cost of ammo is one of the main reasons I reload.

·
Registered
384 Posts
NativeTexan said:
Well, I don't NEED a .454. However, I just WANT a .454, too. I need no other reason, LOL!
I couldn't agree with you more. This is the age old question of need vs. want. I’ve absolutely no “need” for any large caliber hand gun be it a .454 or even a 44mag. Even if I were a hunter, which I am not, the only firearms allowed in Illinois are shotguns and black powder. As far as home defense, the 9mm and .357 would probably slow down anyone with evil intent. So that brings up “want”. There are a few more guns that are still on my “must have” list but when those become realities I’m going for a hand cannon. No real reason needed. Maybe just something to pull out of the range bag to deafen the other shooter, maybe a gun that I can say “mine is bigger than yours”. I guess the point is, there is no point!! It’s all about fun and the joy of ownership.

·
Registered
8,150 Posts
I don't own a .454 but I do have a .500 Magnum which serves no real practical purpose other than I just wanted one. :p

·
Registered
384 Posts
Taurus_9mm said:
I don't own a .454 but I do have a .500 Magnum which serves no real practical purpose other than I just wanted one. :p
Well, I guess if you're gonna get a cannon don't mess around and get the biggest cannon out there. I'm getting so old and that gun is so BIG that I'd have to pay someone to carry the ammo for me. You know a crew served pistol......

·
Registered
8,150 Posts
Yep, it is indeed a very big gun and I can't emphasize that enough. If I ever run out of ammo for it, it can double as a dumbell for those forearm repetitions. lol :)

·
Super Moderator
35,588 Posts
I've got a friend with a Desert Eagle in .50AE. That's a pretty impressive handgun. No .454 for horsepower, but, my GAWD, whadda hole! LOL!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Robby said:
well said, I know, my son told me to get a 9 mm or 38 for my first gun, but DAD in his wisdom, bought the JUDGE. Yeah probably because of all my years watching cowboy movies and Sat serials at the movie house. Hop a Long Cassidy, John Steele, Roy Rogers just to mention a few. I actually was a little bummed out when I found it was a 5 rd gun. But it is big enough to handle most varmints, and zombies here in KY. Pretty sure it would slow down the few brown bears that have been seen.
Would I buy another 45 colt, in a heart beat if the price was right. Do I need one, NO!!! But it would make a heck of a CCW, in a snubby version, with the right holster. For me, 454 460, do not mean a thing but that 45 colt talks to me in ways I cannot explain.
My 9 mm and my 357 are nice on the belt, but out on the farm they do not talk to me, they just sit there ready to help me if needed.
Hey Robby,
My first time to get to talk to you. Hey I was just wondering when ZOMBIE season starts this year. Ha ha ha.
Just pulling yer leg buddy, I love those movies,..see ya around the site....yer Pal, Skullring.

·
Moderator Emeritus, with us always.
15,931 Posts
Skullring said:
Hey Robby,
My first time to get to talk to you. Hey I was just wondering when ZOMBIE season starts this year. Ha ha ha.
Just pulling yer leg buddy, I love those movies,..see ya around the site....yer Pal, Skullring.
Zombie season is all in your mind!! So when your ready for them they are ready for you! Guess you found out a few of us love to play mind games, what if games, or just GAMES!!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts