Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7,861 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just thought I'd show a 328gr hard cast in out of the box condition and after being shot through a 6x6, a 4x4 and a piece of 3/4" plywood. It went through all that and was just barely in the ground behind the wood.

Really not much change to the bullet at all. Retained weight is 314gr.

·
Banned
15,276 Posts
Not an impressive showing for the .454 bullet. But, what did the stuff that it went through look like?

·
Registered
3,749 Posts
That is exactly what a hard cast should look like after impact. Break a shoulder on a large game animal, that's good. The Hollow point that some think is good for the same purpose will make a large surface wound and no penetration and no bone breakage. What ever that bullet is formulated from is good, too hard and it would shatter, not good. That bullet is elk, moose and bear medicine!!!!

·
Registered
7,861 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Not an impressive showing for the .454 bullet. But, what did the stuff that it went through look like?

Actually not bad. Just a hole in and a hole out on each. No tumble going on.

Guesser is right. It would make a bear slow way down. Easily break both shoulders and still have enough oompf to do damage or go north to south pass through.

Last year, shooting hornady 300gr jhp at a deer, it hit a 1" tree, then the deer and made a large entrance and exit hole. Deer went straight down

·
Registered
10,898 Posts
Very interesting. I didn't know what a 454 Casull looked like till now.

·
Premium Member
16,955 Posts
I want a 16" - 18" carbine in 454 for deer hunting.

·
Registered
7,681 Posts
I use a 325 grain hardcast bullet with a wide metplate in my 45 Colt loads for my Old Model Vaquero. That bullet with a healthy dose of Blue Dot or H110 travels straight through a Whitetail or a large Hog leaving a hell of a big hole. Bones don't seem to even slow it down. I never recovered one but my guess is it would look like that one. That would be my Go-To Bullet for a 454 Casull.

·
Registered
6,385 Posts
When you want/need to get deep, you need something solid and tough. Hollow points, soft points, soft alloy lead, ... are perfect for soft skinned game but when dealing with tough animals that have teeth and/or claws and a habit of not respecting our place on the top of the food chain, it behooves the shooter to make sure he can get deep enough to hit the STOP button. When you are looking for penetration, you don't want mushrooming or expansion and that bullet looks exactly like you'd want it to turn out. A cast bullet made of a hard alloy's been doing the trick for a LONNNG time.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts