Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

I'm thinking about picking up a 454 Casull and want to know just how heavy the recoil is. I had a 44 mag Super Redhawk with 9 3/4" barrel. I really don't think the 44 kicks much at all. I will only be shooting factory loads through the 454. I would like some real hands on opinions from people who have shot this gun before. Preferrably from people who shoot this gun on a regular basis. Thanks for your input it will greatly affect my decision on whether or not I buy the 454 or the 44 map

·
Registered
8,150 Posts
May I inquire as to what barrel length you'll be getting if you do get the RB in .454 Casull? I'm presupposing the 8" due to your preference for the 9 3/4" on the SRH but didn't wish to assume.

I don't own nor have I shot the .454 Casull RB but I do have the .500 Magnum in the 10" configuration and while the recoil is stout -- a hard rearward shove opposed to a snappy muzzle flip -- it is not unmanagable in the least, and I do not use a padded glove. If you choose the longest available barrel for the .454, the weight of the firearm, the porting and the grips will go a long way in taming recoil. If you can handle the .44 Magnum you shouldn't have a problem with the .454 Casull.

I'm not certain if the .480 Ruger piques your interest at all, but as an addendum, you can find Raging Bulls in .480 relatively cheap at the moment on www.gunbroker.com and likely elsewhere too. Unfortunately however, the model has being discontinued. It's a good alternative for those who want more oomph than a standard .44 load offers but less recoil than the .454 Casull.

Best Wishes

·
Registered
96 Posts
i shoot alot of warm 45s in my 454 ragin bull. however ,i've got a few boxes of 454 factory and i've shot a few ,it is manageable,even more so if you reload. my only thought ,if you are going to take it out to shoot plan on either shooting one caliber per a session or plan on cleaning before switching from 45 to 454. i've had some hard ejections after shooting 45's
than switching to 454s after maybe 18 45s. good luck,dan

·
Registered
29 Posts
I shoot a Ruger Alaskan .454.
12 rounds will bruise my hand. 6 is about right.
There is no comparing .44 mag to .454.
That's like 9MM to .357 Magnum.
Maybe a bigger heavier gun would tame it a bit.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have the 6 1/2" Raging Bull that I bought in 1998. It has went through over 4000 rounds of 250 and 300 grain Hornady XTP's with Lil gun and H110. The recoil is managable, however I have been shooting "big bore" handguns for over thirty five years. I put it a bit more than a Super Redhawk with a 7 1/2" barrel shooting 300 gr XTP's in .44 Mag. The porting on the Raging Bull takes away a lot of the muzzle flip.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Tinyfxds said:
Hey everyone,

I'm thinking about picking up a 454 Casull and want to know just how heavy the recoil is. I had a 44 mag Super Redhawk with 9 3/4" barrel. I really don't think the 44 kicks much at all. I will only be shooting factory loads through the 454. I would like some real hands on opinions from people who have shot this gun before. Preferrably from people who shoot this gun on a regular basis. Thanks for your input it will greatly affect my decision on whether or not I buy the 454 or the 44 map
I've fired the raging bull in .454 6.5 inch? barrel with Hornday ammo 300 grain at 1650 fps. First couple of rounds were ok, so would be allright to hunt with. next three rounds were like getting hit in the palm with a fast ball. for practice, I'd use a glove.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I recently put 20 rounds through my new 5" 454 Raging Bull. Recoil was pretty stout. The palm of my right hand was a little sore for about 1/2 hour afterwards.

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
I recently got to run a couple cylinder's worth of Hornady 300 gr through my pop's .454 5" RB and recoil was pretty stiff, but manageable. He's also got a .44 Blackhawk that's much worse on the firing hand - the Bull's grip, 3.5# weight and the porting really go a long way towards taking the edge off.

We also shot some .45 Colt through it and that was nothing at all.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts