Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
6,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody reloading 450 Bushmaster? My new upper should arrive today, the plan is to hunt deer with it next year so I have plenty of time to work up a load. Just curious if anyone here has done some of the work for me already.

·
Premium Member
16,955 Posts
Ran a test batch for the Ruger American Rifle, Recoil sucked. My buddy sold the gun....

Reactions: jimb1972

·
Registered
6,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ran a test batch for the Ruger American Rifle, Recoil sucked. My buddy sold the gun....
It's got to be better than the 12ga. slugs I am shooting now! Plus I am shooting them out of a semi auto, so that should reduce recoil a bit as well.

Reactions: PreacherRodgers

·
Registered
382 Posts
My son has been using an AR w/.450 Bushmaster upper for 5 or 6 years, he has killed a lot of deer with it and loves it. I don't know exactly what his load is but it is the Barnes non lead bullet on top of lil gun and it easily shoots moa at 100 yrds.

·
Registered
6,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Took some loads out to test today. It was too windy but that was a moot point since the hottest rounds I loaded would not cycle reliably. 31.7 gns of Lilgun behind a 300gn XTP mag was not enough to eject and load the next. Max in the book is only .5 gns higher at 32.2, I will give that a shot. The rifle loads and extracts the 250gn Hornady factory ammo reliably. My loads didn't feel light, but right now I have an expensive single shot.

Reactions: darbo

·
Registered
6,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I drilled the gas port out with a #43 drill bit (about .090) and installed an adjustable gas block, hopefully this does the trick. I won't be able to shoot it for a week or so, but have my fingers crossed.

·
Supporting SuperModerator
15,295 Posts
Took some loads out to test today. It was too windy but that was a moot point since the hottest rounds I loaded would not cycle reliably. 31.7 gns of Lilgun behind a 300gn XTP mag was not enough to eject and load the next. Max in the book is only .5 gns higher at 32.2, I will give that a shot. The rifle loads and extracts the 250gn Hornady factory ammo reliably. My loads didn't feel light, but right now I have an expensive single shot.
What did the chrony say about the Feet Per Second?

Reactions: mingaa

·
Registered
6,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have not taken the chronograph out yet, I had to make some new rods to hold the screens.

·
Super Moderator
35,435 Posts
I researched .450 B and .458 SOCOM thinking hog hunting when I first got my Bushmaster M4. The cost of uppers turned me off and I decided to just get a new scope for my SKS and put a laser spotlight on it. The 7.62x39 has killed hogs and deer for me quite dead at up to 80 yards. But, after taking a deer with .223 in the M4, I sorta decided I didn't need a new caliber in that rifle. :D The 62 grain Barnes handload did a fine job on that deer. Range wasn't long, but it never is in the woods out here. Can't see more'n 100 yards in any direction. Woods are too thick.

.450 Bushmaster has the numbers, though, good caliber for woods hunting and thumps 'em hard, just like .458 SOCOM. I was convinced by the price of SOCOM brass that I'd be better off with the Bushmaster. :D Have fun with that rifle and put some meat in the freezer! :D

Reactions: mingaa and jimb1972

·
Registered
6,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If Iowa would let me I would still be hunting deer with a 300 sav. pump!

·
Super Moderator
35,435 Posts
If Iowa would let me I would still be hunting deer with a 300 sav. pump!
Well, my fave deer rifle is a little stainless Remington M7 bolt gun in .308 Winchester. That thing is 3/4 MOA accurate and a great all around hunting rifle for north America. It is compact in a box blind or walking in the woods, it's accurate and reaches across New Mexico canyons, it's only about 7 lbs on the shoulder with 2x10x40 Weaver KV scope and Millet rings and mount, and .308 is good on anything up to Elk size inside 350 yards. I just have this M4 for political reasons and worked up this Barnes handload and wanted to shoot something with it. It won't replace my M7 as my favorite go to hunting rifle by ANY means. :D

I have the SKS set up for night hunting hogs. I kinda like a semi auto for that as often in the confusion of a shot, pigs will run around in circles and you'll get a second or even third quick shot at 'em. The M4 could do that, too, but I already had the SKS drilled and tapped with a scope mount. I'd taken it off some time back as it does make a better truck gun, lighter walk about gun, without the scope. I took my first deer with it using a scope, my second was taken with iron sights. :D It now wears a Bushnell 3x9x40 Banner with the green laser attached. This is the best set up I've had yet for night hunting. I know I could go with one of those cheap night vision scopes, but I know a guy that has had a couple and they tend to have to be sent back for service a lot. I don't care much for electronics. The green laser is a great poor man's night vision, works all the way out past 200 yards and I only have 100 yards possible. The light came with a mount that allows windage and elevation adjustability and the beam can be adjusted to the field of view of the scope on whatever power you have it set. I keep the Bushnell on about 6 power and the light throws a nice, bright beam out to 100 yards with the scope on that power with that field of view. And, pigs don't seem to even notice it. I've used it to take one pig so far since I bought it. Probably go back out tonight as the pigs are here at the moment. Got to check my trap first, though. If I trapped one, I'll just butcher that. :D

·
Registered
12,813 Posts

·
Super Moderator
35,435 Posts

·
Registered
6,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I wanted 458 socom, but since it is tapered I can't use it to hunt deer in Iowa. I did look hard at the 50 beowulf as well.

·
Super Moderator
35,435 Posts
The pro I've heard to the .458 SOCOM is better bullet selection. I can see that, .458 is pretty ubiquitous in the rifle world vs .451 or whatever it is the Bushmaster measures.

·
Registered
12,813 Posts
There also appears to be less published reloading data on the .450 BM than the .458 SOCOM.

·
Registered
6,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The pro I've heard to the .458 SOCOM is better bullet selection. I can see that, .458 is pretty ubiquitous in the rifle world vs .451 or whatever it is the Bushmaster measures.
450 uses .451, the same as 45 acp, colt, casull, and 460 S&W so there are quite a few bullets available. Thats why I chose it over the 50.

Reactions: NativeTexan

·
Super Moderator
35,435 Posts
450 uses .451, the same as 45 acp, colt, casull, and 460 S&W so there are quite a few bullets available. Thats why I chose it over the 50.
But, those are all pistol bullets designed for pistol velocities. I think I'd play with the heavies designed for .460 or perhaps a heavy SWC style. Then, there's the pointed stuff from Hornady if you can get it in bullets, don't know. Don't KNOW that it's even loaded in .451", but I'd think it was, the Lever Revolution stuff. I haven't researched ANY of this, though. Let us know what you decide for a load. :D

·
Super Moderator
35,435 Posts
I went to Midway, waste of time. They show no heavy .451" stuff, let alone any leverlution stuff. They don't even show the 300 grain Hornady XTP, a bullet I might be looking at in a .450 Bushmaster. I have a hundred or so in my cabinet and load them in hot .45 Colt. It's a good bullet and I'd think would work well at woods ranges from the Bushmaster.

·
Super Moderator
35,435 Posts
1 - 20 of 43 Posts