Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having some failure to feed issues. Gun is not broke in yet. 150 rounds or so thus far. Usually it's the first three or four bullets in a mag. So far, every time I've been able to pop out the mag, tap it on the back side, and then all remaining rounds fire just fine. This does not happen every time, it's usually if I load one, and then it does not get fired right away.

So I have a few questions about methods that I read helped this out.

1. Dry silicon lube for firing pin channel. Can anyone explain this to me? I know nothing when it comes to cleaning guns. I am following the instructions on the back of the cleaning kit I bought.

2. Sandpaper on the edges of magazines? Not sure where I heard this one, but will this help? Void warranty?

3. Send magazines back to Taurus? Is there a way to tell if the magazines are causing the issues before sending them out?

4. Break in on gun and/or magazines. Is this normal until broke in?

5. Am I doing something wrong?

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
does everything work fine if you load up a full mag and tap it on your hand to seat the rounds before firing any at all? If it works when you do that then make that a habit.

·
Registered
71 Posts
You got some crappy mag springs from Taurus. I replaced mine with Wolff springs for the Para-Ordnance P12. You can send them in and spin the Taurus wheel of CS and maybe get better mags. Or spend about the same as it would cost to ship the mags and get some Wolff mag springs.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
MPanova said:
does everything work fine if you load up a full mag and tap it on your hand to seat the rounds before firing any at all? If it works when you do that then make that a habit.
Most of the time (75%), it does work fine if I do that. Every once in a while I'll get one regardless, and I'll have to pop the mag out, tap it, and put it back in the gun.

(RE: Whirlwind06) It is like the mag springs are too tight. I had a bent spring plate for a day or so, and I could only put eleven shots in that magazine. It fired perfect all day long with that mag, the other (12 shots) FTFed a few times at random. I'm going to start loading them with only eleven and see if that stops the issue from occuring. If so, I'll try the Wolff springs.

·
Registered
71 Posts
The problem I had was that the rounds would not feed out of the mags. About 1/2 way through the rounds would just be stuck in the mag.
Sanding the followers and using some dry lube won't hurt BTW

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
This morning I stopped off on the way to work, and shot two magazines. Both of them had the issue a few times. Both of them I had to pop the mag out, and tap the back end of it on my leg to fire them again. I made sure to do this right after loading each mag (as suggested in this thread, but after a 3-4 shots, each one needed it again.

One clip had a full 12 shots in it, the other only had 11.

When it happens, I can look into the slide opening, and see that the bullet is nose down in the clip. I can then pop the clip and there is about 1/8 to 1/4 inch space behind the top bullet. I tap the back of the mag until the bullet is all the way back, and it then feeds fine.

It's as if there is too much spring tension, and when the slide puts one bullet into the chamber, it moves the rest forward a little bit in the mag. After it loads a couple, the rest are moved far enough forward that it fails to feed.

Does this make sense?

·
Registered
4,084 Posts
Are the rounds lining up properly when you load? Sometimes,especially with higher cap mags, a round will misalign while loading it.
I was told to rap the back of the magazine on my palm when about 1/2 way through reloading to ensure that the rounds line up correctly.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
drummin_man627 said:
Are the rounds lining up properly when you load? Sometimes,especially with higher cap mags, a round will misalign while loading it.
I was told to rap the back of the magazine on my palm when about 1/2 way through reloading to ensure that the rounds line up correctly.
I have not tried that one either. I'll give it a try.

I do make sure that each one is all the way back before I put the next one in.

·
32,653 Posts
Magazines may need to be fully loaded and let sit for a few days until "things break in". Just like the intrnal parts of the gun need breaking in like a new car engine this needs to be done.

If this is a shorty barreled gun the ammo can cause problems as well. While commercial ammo is well made, there are a lot of vagaries to consider. Overall length of the individual rounds, bullet shape,size and shape of the hollowpoint mouth, or the gun is just fincky about certain brands of ammo or types.

Shorty pistols of any brand ,make, or model can be or will be so.
Some of our staff recommend, and ammo makers recommend ,going to lighter bullet weights or changing brand of ammo. 185-200 grains.

Since this is a break in period different types of ammo need to be tried. Many think that they can go with one each only brand or type and expect excellent results. Doesn't work that way for the most part.

A magazine loader would help load efficiently.
http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/index.php?topic=544.0
http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/index.php?topic=2783.0

These links above give the criterea and experience with mag loaders. Also saves the thumb.

http://www.gunclips.net/taurus.html , www.cheaperthandirt.com ,www.jgsales.com ,www.midwayusa.com These are mag replacement places to go to.
Barring all that, mag replacement might be needed. Getting new ones from Taurus or buying a few extras is not a bad idea. Mags are the Achilles heel of all pistols. While this is a drag to have to possibly replace these there are good reasons to do so.
Besides, one can never have enough ammo or magazines. :)

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I counted, and I've only put 140 shots through this gun so far, not enough to be broke in. I am going to keep on keepin on, until I get to 350 or 400. Then I'll decide what to do about the magazine issue, if it still exists.

In the meantime, I'll keep both clips fully loaded for a few days, and I'll keep the gun really clean, and the magazine followers dry-silicon lubed. I still say it seems to me like the springs have too much tension on them. Maybe leaving the mags loaded will help, maybe replacing the springs will help, I don't know.

I did try loading them up with only 11 shots, but it still happened. I'm going to try and load them up with 6-10 shots when I shoot, and see if that helps. But like I said, I'm not going to start buying things or replacing things until I've got 350+ shot through the gun.

I've got a friend giving me lessons on reloading, and when I'm done, I'll have 200+ 230 FMJs to shoot, half of which are blazer brass, and half of which will be reloads.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I was at the 300+ round count when I gave up on the mag springs and ordered the Wolff replacement springs. What you are describing is pretty much what was happening to my 24/7.
I don't think it is to much spring tension. I think the springs are binding up, one or more coil(s) are jamming together. When you take the mag out and smack it you are freeing up the jam.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Whirlwind06 said:
I think the springs are binding up, one or more coil(s) are jamming together. When you take the mag out and smack it you are freeing up the jam.
Wouldn't the top bullet not be up all of the way if this was the issue? It seems to be all the way up to the top, just too far forward to feed properly.

My father and friend are going shooting with me tomorrow, and they both have years and years of experience with handguns. I'll ask them their opinion about it. I've checked on those springs, and they seem reasonable to buy. I am not against buying them to fix my issue. But I want to make sure that is the issue before I buy them.

$15 for a fix is cheap, but if it does not fix it, I'll have thrown $15 away.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Whirlwind06 said:
The problem I had was that the rounds would not feed out of the mags. About 1/2 way through the rounds would just be stuck in the mag.
Sanding the followers and using some dry lube won't hurt BTW
While cleaning the gun and magazines, I did a little experiment, and figured out that I must be having the same issue as Whirlwind06, or at least I think. I took a loaded clip, and one at a time, I just pushed on the back of the top bullet, just like the slide would do, and every once in a while, the next bullet would come up in the back, but not in the front. As if the spring or follower was not coming up properly in the front.

I did use some silicon lube made for plastics, and some extra fine sandpaper. Seems to be less often, but still happening. Is this like what you experienced, Whirlwind06?

·
Registered
71 Posts
The next round would just be either nose down in the mag with the slide pushing aginst it. Or the round would just be stuck in the mag, and the slide would slam shut without feeding a round.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Mine seems to have the nosed-down bullet issue every other mag or so. I've checked, and it's not the same mag every time.

I've had the slide close without a bullet before as well, but only once that I can recall.

I'm trying to decide if I should buy a three pack of those springs, or buy one replacement magazine and see if it works better. I guess if I buy the Wolff springs, and they do not fix the issue, I can send the mags into Taurus warranty services and roll that dice.

I'll order those springs and report back here when I get a chance to test them.

Can you take pictures of the Wolff springs showing where you cut them? If not, can you give me a detailed description? Did you cut one single coil off of the big end of the spring or the small end of the spring?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts