Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the June/July issue of HANDGUNS magazine there is a comparison review article: ".45 Polymer Shootout" by Paul Scarlata. He compares the S&W M&P45, Glock 21SF, Springfield XD45, and the Taurus 24/7 45 Pro. It is a very biased article which predetermines that since the 24/7 is the least expensive, it will finish last.

The author admits that he did NONE of the test firiing due to injury. The "experts" he brings in have their own favorites and familiarities and are all new to the 24/7.

In accuracy testing, the 24/7 ends up last, yet it has the tightest group in the target photos! Only a single type of ammo was used, no attempt at finding out which gun might shoot best with what brand. The 24/7 (worst) averaged 2.8" at 50 feet and the best averaged 2.5", not much difference but enough to score the 24/7 as worst.

The S&W M&P scored highest in sights and accuracy yet scored lowest at the timed plate rack drill. The 24/7 scored lowest in sights. The shooters are most familiar traditional 3 dot sights and probably had never before seen Heinie "straight 8" sights. Just because something is new to you, does not mean it is inferior.

The 24/7 scored a terrible rating in "ease of reloading" because shooters pinched their pinkies with the shortest gripped 24/7. Like any short gripped auto, one must loosen the pinky grip when inserting a mag, Duh! The 24/7 had two malfunctions when the mag dropped free "of its own accord". This was most likely user error in either not seating the mag firmly (these were the guys with delicate pinkies, remember) or hitting the mag release on recoil. There was no analysis to see if the mag release was defective or fixable. The M&P had finicky mag seating problems of its own.

When describing the unique second strike capability of the 24/7, the author reveals his ignorance of the SA/DA trigger. He calls it a very light double-action trigger stroke with a single-action type let-off. In truth, the 24/7 has a SA trigger for every normal shot and reverts to DA on a dud round.

The 24/7 weighs the least, was the most compact, had the shortest barrel, cost the least, and was the only one with a stainless finish slide many prefer, yet these factors had no effect on any of the ratings.

Most of the rated categories were highly subjective and unscientific, yet there are tables of data to make the article appear to be scientific. In the end the author says there is not much seperating all four pistols and that you really can't go wrong with any of them.

There is of course the economic bias of advertising dollars. High ratings are correlated to paid advertising space in the magazine.

As a Taurus pistol fan, I found this article fraught with error, biased against Taurus, and pseudo-scientific. It explains why people who have never held or fired a Taurus pistol already have negative opinions about them.

·
Registered
47 Posts
That mag sucks. Look at their webpage. They have an article about the Ruger Sr9. A little lower on the main page they show the SR9 recall.

In the article they begin by saying. "We were oh so close to bringing you news of the new Ruger pistol in our last issue, but that whole "best laid plans" thing reared its ugly head"

...The problem is it was recalled due to the gun firing when dropped

They go on to say "Patrick Sweeney is conducting an extensive torture test of the gun even as we speak, but we can give you a sneak peek based on what I saw at a small gathering at Ruger's Prescott, Arizona, facilities last October"

...Last October...Wow talk about current data.

·
Administrator
18,470 Posts
Yes, there was a definite anti-Taurus bias there! Write or E-Mail them and let them know how you feel!

·
Super Moderator
21,950 Posts
I try to stick to Combat handguns and American Handgunner, the first is petty good at being non-bias the second can get a little funky at times but will reveiw the gun for a second time if they catch a lot of flake. I was just in our biggest gun store the other day and they still won't sell any of the smaller Taurus they have the 1911 and the 24/7 other then that they won't even discuss the others I hate it that they are like that because I know them well but have told them I'll drive 50 miles to get a better deal and not here the bulls&&

·
Administrator
35,733 Posts
To be completely fair, there are several nice articles on the Handguns and G&A search engine, if you type in "Taurus 24/7" and search it out. In fact, Dick Metcalf is one of the writers, and he is the gentleman who does the Taurus 24/7 and Judge video on Taurususa.com. I think he likes the Taurus, as well as Craig Boddington, and a couple of others.

·
Registered
514 Posts
This post had me perusing the Handguns mag website...and I stumbled across this article on the PT1911

http://www.handgunsmag.com/featured_handguns/HG_1207_09/index.html

Not every writer at this magazine is a Taurus hater...and this author has an interesting comment on the Heine sites...

"I picked one up to check it out and noticed that the gun had all the features one would want on a fighting handgun: hard rubber grips, ambidextrous safety, high visibility sights. As a matter of fact, the sights looked like Heinie Specialty’s Straight 8 sights, which are normally found on expensive, high end handguns."

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
I just read the article in Handguns last night. I was not offended but thought the testers could have been fairer to the 24/7. A lot of the "tests" were on opinions not actual tests. Whatever. I would buy another 24/7 before any of the other guns.

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
WildRice said:
Most of the rated categories were highly subjective and unscientific, yet there are tables of data to make the article appear to be scientific.
Excellent review of their article, WildRice. :thumb:

Regarding your comment about their tables of data, just remember that 90% of all statistics can be skewed to make a point in your favor. ;)

·
Registered
5 Posts
i got the magazine & thought WOW there actually gona review th 24/7 :)

then i read it, what really got me was the last place in ERGONOMICS, now the m&p are decent as far as ergo's go, but glock grip is a block with bumps & the xd is not much better. Now dont get me wrong bolth are nice & in years before that was squarish grip was standard. But your hand is NOT square!
they shold have had a value catagory also, heck you can almost get 2 24/7s for the price of a glock!
It is sad, the old the more you spend the better quality,LOL.. thats why they review 1000$ 1911 22cal's :???:eek:r 2700$ 1911's that dont run right :???: rediculous!!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I wanted to ask if you guys ever saw my "Plastic Revolver Shootout" in G&A Handguns magazine? The Polymer Protector scored very well and got praise from all the shooters.

·
Registered
3,077 Posts
I wanted to ask if you guys ever saw my "Plastic Revolver Shootout" in G&A Handguns magazine? The Polymer Protector scored very well and got praise from all the shooters.
Hi there.

This thread is almost five years old. You might not get any answers but I hope you do.

Reactions: troutkiller

·
Registered
96 Posts
Read that article also! Sounded bias!

..................Twin

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.