Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased a 4410 and went to get ammo. They did not have a 45 long colt . The only thing they had was a 45 Colt. It did not say long colt on the box. Is there such thing as a long and short 45 Colt?? I bought the 45 colt but kind of afraid to fire it if it is wrong. Thanks in advance. :???:

·
Registered
6,761 Posts
45 Colt is commonly called 45 Long Colt. There was also the 45 Schofield that could be chambered in 45 Colt revolvers but the reverse wasn't true. Remember that for a time the Army issued both the Colt 45 (the old single action) and the S&W 45 Schofield. I think that there's more to this story that I don't remember but thats the basics.

Decided to double check my facts before I posted and it looks like I was right. ;D
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.45_Schofield

Steelheart

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Steelheart!! Very good info. I appreciate the follow up.

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
In the begining the Schofield and the Colt were tried at the same time but since the Colt revolver could chamber both cartridges the army bought way more colts than than Schofields. The Calvary liked their Scholfields because they could unload them faster and one handed while the colt was two hands all the way. Eventually though the Calvary had to get Colts. But Smith and Wesson didn't lose out entirely because eventually they had a contract with Russia and it was that contract that kept the company afloat for a long time. It was so lucrative in fact that Smith and Wesson could all but abandon US contracts and they were so busy with Russia that they could barely turn out stuff for the public on this side of the pond.

·
Premium Member
15,931 Posts
I read that if you do not mind the light load, you can fire the Schofield 45, in a colt gun. Might be good practice load, as it seems to be a lot cheaper from some sources. I know I might try it in my Judge 6.5 inch, if I run accross some locally.

·
Registered
6,761 Posts
Yes you should be able to use the Schofield loads in a 45 Colt revolver but I doubt that they'll be cheaper as they aren't produced in anywhere near the numbers of the 45 Colt loads. Then again you never know what you'll find online.

Steelheart

·
Premium Member
15,931 Posts
Well I found schofield 45's online for just over $14 a box, to as high as $30. Depending on the bullet load, and such, the cheap ones if you can find them would be bargain.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Let us know how the cheap ones work for target. Thanks

·
Registered
29 Posts
Colt's usual practice was to produce a Long and a Short version of any new caliber. The only one they did not do this with was the .45 but since it was a longer cartridge than any other .45 available it was assumed that the short would be introduced later, it was refered to as the "Long Colt" but the only name ever used by Colt is ".45 Colt". It is probably a good idea to refer to it as Long Colt to keep the dweebs at the Big Box stores from selling you something meant for a 1911 if your gun is not equiped to use it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts