Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just wondering how common these are. I found a brass 45 Auto case, which is marked "45 Auto" but no other code. It's the only one I've ever seen like this.

·
Supporting SuperModerator
15,420 Posts
:nopics:

·
Registered
3,380 Posts
A custom reloading company sometimes has brass made up with their own head stamp. Quality cartridge for example will headstamp brass the way you want it. Handy for wildcats with that custom added feature. Your case isn't common but they are out there.

·
Administrator
40,585 Posts
Sure you weren't trying to post in Politics? Nothing to do with this thread.

·
Registered
969 Posts
I run across the occasional 9mm case that has no brand stamp. The first cartridge where I noticed a lot of thickness variation was .45 ACP and it's since spread to 9mm as well. As handloaders it's something we need to be concerned with. Measure the thickness within about 1mm of the case-mouth. With .45 ACP things are different from 9mm where foreign made cases can be thicker. In .45 ACP it's the reverse with many cases being thinner and Remington is some of the thinnest. There's an easy way to deal with this, and what I do personally. After you've measured the various brands you have, you'll start getting a handle on the various average thicknesses by brand. This will effect things like case-neck tension where a thinner case resizes like all the rest but may not give enough tension on the bullet. Some guys buy the U-Type dies to deal with this where I simply use 2 different containers. 1 for the normal thickness cases and another for the thinner variety. The thinner cases I use for bullets that are larger in diameter like cast or poly-coated at least .452".;)

·
Registered
4,797 Posts
I once found some 9mm brass at the range with no maker marks on it. I went over to the nearest trash barrel and found 2 empty 9mm cardboard boxes showing the ammo was made in China. I don't recall the brand.

I doubt that if the ammo maker had stamped his name into the cases using Chinese characters, it would result a more positive view of his ammo.

·
Super Moderator
38,026 Posts

·
Super Moderator
38,026 Posts

I get a Euro vibe from the photo...the color is funny also or maybe it's my monitor/your camera. It looks like some colored steel cases I've encountered. Have you put a magnet on it. Since I've found steel, brass colored cases I not put a magnet over the pile of range pickups and frequently catch a few per 1000

Reactions: 57K

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
I get a Euro vibe from the photo...the color is funny also or maybe it's my monitor/your camera. It looks like some colored steel cases I've encountered. Have you put a magnet on it. Since I've found steel, brass colored cases I not put a magnet over the pile of range pickups and frequently catch a few per 1000
The case is solid brass.. It appears the consensus is it more likely cheap than rare :) Kind of what I thought... Thanks!

·
Supporting SuperModerator
15,420 Posts
The norma stamp on some of their brass is so light that contact with the bolt face makes it unreadable.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts