Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Two scenarios, let me know what would be best...

1) Basic CCW duties for the PT145.

2) as a backup for feral hogs out of my Ruger P90 while pig hunting (archery).

Todd

·
Registered
19 Posts
1. Whatever JHP that feed the best in your gun.

2. Whatever FMJ that feed the best in your gun.

Not trying to be a smart arse, but what works in one gun doesn't mean it is gonna work like that in YOURS. Need to get 3-6 different types and shoot them. I'll bet that at least one of those will give YOUR gun a hard time. What ever feeds the best for JHP, use them. As for hogs, I have chased them on Ft. Riley for a while now. Shooting at them is like shooting at a baby tank. Need FMJ for the best penetration possible. Most all FMJ will feed better than JHP because of the bullet design.

Reactions: jtg452

·
Super Moderator
35,150 Posts
BoneDigger said:
Two scenarios, let me know what would be best...

1) Basic CCW duties for the PT145.

2) as a backup for feral hogs out of my Ruger P90 while pig hunting (archery).

Todd
Any JHP that is reliable for self defense. I handload a 200 grain hard cast SWC (from a Lee tumble lube mold) to something under 1100 fps for hog duty. But, I've retired my P90 from said duty and gone to a .45 Colt Blackhawk pushing a 300 grainer to 1150 fps from a 4 5/8" barrel. I also installed a Wolf 18 lb 1911 spring (didn't need all those springs after I got rid of those 1911s) in the P90 for such duty. It actually works well with my carry loads, too. It's preloaded a bit because the slide on the P90 is a half inch shorter, but it fits over the guide rod like a glove and works great. You need a sturdier spring for the white hot +P stuff.

You can't get 600 ft lbs out of the .45 because of weak cases. Even military brass with start to bulge (not a good thing) at the loading ramp where it's unsupported. It's really not the gun for hogs. The 10mm is really the only PRACTICAL autoloader round for such duty. I really prefer revolvers anyway and Blackhawks are strong and reliable and relatively light compared to a DA gun and a lot more rugged. The Blackhawk can handle loads that would kaboom most 73 Colt clones. It's chambered for .44 mag and you can get .44 mag ballistics out of the .45 Colt with less pressure and you can handle heavier bullets. I've loaded bullets up to 340 grains in the Colt.

·
Banned
19 Posts
Are firearms an ammunition driven market?

Count the amount of money you have spent on ammunition and compare it to the cost of the guns you fired it through and see what the ratio is. If you could have that money back, would you do it again. I read were 1 man said he had fired 50,000 rounds through his PT 92 and started to do the math on the cost of the ammunition. I would like to hear some estimates of what people think they have spent on ammunition in their lifetime. Does anyone know if Taurus is diversified into the munitions industry?

·
Registered
36,476 Posts
well I am kind of in the same ball park with the previous posters!
I used a 41 magnum to hunt hogs ( this was true german/russian boars) that are a bit tougher (ie: they run at you not away from you), but I think a 45 acp with a 230 grain FMJ , hard cast, truncated jacket would serve the purpose.
The 41 mag would put these rounds completlely through the hog unless you hit them charging and in the front plate.
but they didn't seem to like to die without a couple three in them.
As for personal protection, the chosen round MUST be 120% reliable in function in the weapon!
after that i lean to a 200 grain pill in any of the modern designs but tend to lean to an all copper projectile or the Speer gold dots.

·
Registered
36,476 Posts
Count the amount of money you have spent on ammunition and compare it to the cost of the guns you fired it through and see what the ratio is.
OK!
I just figured this up and came out that i spent 1/10 as much shooting as i would have on beer and topless dancers if i didn't spent so much time shooting.
plus my wife likes me to smell like gunpowder lot better than cheap perfume!
it seems to work for both of us.

·
32,582 Posts
Count the amount of money you have spent on ammunition and compare it to the cost of the guns you fired it through and see what the ratio is. If you could have that money back, would you do it again. I read were 1 man said he had fired 50,000 rounds through his PT 92 and started to do the math on the cost of the ammunition. I would like to hear some estimates of what people think they have spent on ammunition in their lifetime. Does anyone know if Taurus is diversified into the munitions industry?
No,Taurus has not gone into the ammo business. Then again I could be wrong.
Taurus International Manufacturing Inc

However doing a Google came up empty as anyone having it for sale recently. That means a call to Custmer Service at 1-800-327-3776 is in order to verify wether the answer is yes or no on that.

PMC loaded a bunch of those up some years back for Taurus. I sent a e-mail to PMC and we'll see what they have to say if any thing at all.

If Taurus isn't going to offer the load then they need to update their site.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts