Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a friend that wants to give me a box of orginal Black Talon ammunition in .45 ACP.....What is the fewest number of rounds I can fire to gain confidence in feeding reliability? Also, will I be more vulnerable to a lawsuit if God forbid I have to use them in a self defense situation? Any and all comments and suggestions will be greatly appreciated!! FYI...my carry handgun is a PT-745. Thank you!

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
I have some original Black Talons also, but I can't bring myself to shoot them even though there are better and nastier rounds out there now a days.

It is usually safe or considered by most people I know, to use whatever your local law enforcement dept. uses. That way you can always fall back on "I am using what the LEO use, it must be the best to defend my family with".

·
Registered
63 Posts
Bobcatbaseball35 said:
Also, will I be more vulnerable to a lawsuit if God forbid I have to use them in a self defense situation? Any and all comments and suggestions will be greatly appreciated!!
It depends a lot on the local situation - whether the DA is anti-gun, whether the defense lawyer is a high paid sharpy who will paint you as a blood thirsty killer, etc. and if the jurists will buy that.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Get yourself some Winchester Ranger SXT Law Enforcement ammo. That is Black Talon without the "offensive" name and color. I have several boxes of .40 S&W left over from my LE days.

The following is part of an interesting article;

http://www.firearmstactical.com/briefs2.htm#Black-Talon

"The Black Talon bullet came under intense negative media scrutiny after it was criminally misused in a shooting rampage in a San Francisco office building in July 1993. Nine people were killed and six wounded by gunman Gian Luigi Ferri. The news media reported falsehoods that Black Talon's "razor sharp claws" created particularly ghastly, devastating and unsurvivable wounds.

The forensic pathologist who performed the autopsies of the fatal shooting victims gave a detailed presentation about his findings at the 1994 IWBA Wound Ballistics Conference in Sacramento: "The 101 California Shooting: The Black Talon Bullet," Boyd Stevens, M.D., Medical Examiner, San Francisco, CA. He stated that the wound trauma produced by Black Talon was unremarkable, meaning the wounds were no different nor any more severe than wounds produced by typical JHP handgun bullets. Each of the victims incurred fatal injury because a bullet passed through a vital structure.

Winchester designed the Ranger Talon with what they call a "reverse-taper" copper jacket. What this means is that the copper jacket on the Ranger Talon is thicker at the tip than at its base, and this is the opposite of conventional hollowpoint bullet designs. This thickness is necessary to provide stiffness to the talons after expansion so they remain in ideal position to cut tissue that flows around the mushroom skirt.

Contrary to the pronouncements of gunwriter Ed Sanow, who claims that the Black Talon/Ranger SXT/Ranger Talon bullet slowly expands during its first 8 inches of penetration, the thick copper jacket requires the bullet to rapidly expand after impact when velocity is highest. Once the bullet begins to slow, the forces acting on the copper jacket and lead core which cause the bullet to deform, decrease. His absurd claim that this bullet gradually expands as it penetrates simply defies the laws of physics, and is based on fantasy."

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
All black talons and ranger sxts are is a variation of what is called a "dum-dum" bullet that the British experimented with around the turn of the 20th century which were consequently banned with the haugue and geneva conventions since the axis thought is was "unfair and inhumane to use such a bullet in combat". The only thing new about the black talon was that winchester used a computer to design the bullet to be more accurate and coat the exterior with teflon to aid in lubrecation. The media attacked the round because of the name only, which is why ammo makers use benign names for any new design now out of fear of media scrutiny.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts