Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While surfing the web I hit a link that put me into Taurus International. It showed a copy of a magazine article about one Taurus "Stellar" Tracker, a 45 ACP revolver, chambered with a ridge to catch the case mouth. But I can't find it in the Taurus products pages.

Anybody know about this gun?

Thanks a million.

JimL

·
Registered
6,761 Posts
Its discontinued but they can be found used online. It was available in various barrel lengths in both stainless and titanium.

Steelheart

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
parisite said:
I have two of them, a six and a half inch and a two inch snubbie.

What would it take to pry that snub out of your posession?

·
Registered
37 Posts
NYPD, but.........but then I would have to go find me another one. :D

Since I tood the pic I have put hogue grips on the both of them. It improved the ergonomice considerably.

I've tried to find a nice wood grip for the snubbie to no avail.

There is 4'' and a 6'' for sale on gunbroker right now.

·
Registered
539 Posts
I drool over these myself.. since you own a couple parisite, why are the moon clips required to be used with the 45acp, or are they?

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
45 ACP is a rimless cartridge so moon clips are used so that the extractor on a revolver can eject the empty casings. Otherwise, without moon clips, the extractor would just bypass the empty brass with nothing to latch on to. It can be used without moon clips but extraction would then be done manually, either one by one or turning the gun upside down and hoping they fall out. :)

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
parisite...Man those are nice guns :drool:

Can you imagine a 45 out of a 6" barrel, wonder what kind of damage that would do......

Wonder why they would discontinue those..seems like it would be popular

·
Registered
37 Posts
dbsoundguy said:
Can you imagine a 45 out of a 6" barrel, wonder what kind of damage that would do......
I've chronographed them and I get about 65fps more velocity out of the 6.5'' revolver than my Dan Wesson 1911 with a match barrel. I put a set of lighter springs in it I ordered from Wolff and it made shooting a much more enjoyable experience. And it is a tack driver.

·
Administrator
17,827 Posts
Steelheart said:
Its discontinued but they can be found used online. It was available in various barrel lengths in both stainless and titanium.
Steelheart
They need to bring it back!!! They shouldn't discontinue the really good stuff!

·
Registered
275 Posts
That is the one aspect of Taurus mfg. I really get peeod about, they come out with something good and if they don't sell a cajillion of them right away they pull it from the product line.

Anyone in the firearms mfg. of handguns should have their ear tuned to the buying publics wants and dislikes. For the umpteenth time, we handgunners like big bore revolvers that shoot .41, .44, and .45 caliber bullets. We want good design, good accuracy and most important good reliabillity backed by a lifetime warranty.

One way to know if your product is still a good one, look at the auctions and forums classified ads, as to what is moving in those zones.

The S&W crowd is having a feeding frenzey on buying .44 and .45 caliber used guns that are no longer easy to find...prices are getting pretty rediculious in the I've gotta have it crowd.

It is also happening to the better Taurus big bore caliber revolvers. Come on Taurus get smart and make the better big bore revolvers.

TB C45

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Tracker Backer C45 said:
That is the one aspect of Taurus mfg. I really get peeod about, they come out with something good and if they don't sell a cajillion of them right away they pull it from the product line.
Purely for info purposes, were they that good? Companies pull a product for one of two reasons, it's bad news or it doesn't, as you say, make them a zillion bucks. I'd like to find one if they were really that good.

It reminds me of a computer analogy. IBM at one time had the best desktop operating system there was - the early windows system was a copy of it.

After they failed to upgrade it sensibly it dropped to only $90 million profit a year so they killed it in the face of intense protest.

(I'm not altogether convinced Taurus cares that much about customer opinion either. Why else would they refuse email?)

JimL

·
Registered
6,761 Posts
The same reason that many other firearms companies refuse email?

Steelheart

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
They need to bring it back!!
Agreed :thumb:...a 45 cal handgun...Wow probally easy to shoot,and accurate...just the look of those is cool...I would love to have one...i miss my 1911...just imagine having a auto and revolver using the same ammo...that is pretty much the perfect life :yipee:

I get about 65fps more velocity out of the 6.5'' revolver than my Dan Wesson 1911 with a match barrel.

Don't know much about about that stuff (newbie and all)..but it makes sense... I think 45 is pretty well rounded ammo.... now those bigger loads.. you can have them...Yikess :loco: LOL

Thanks.... parisite...hope you have fun with them, i am pretty jealous ;)

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
parisite said:
I have two of them, a six and a half inch and a two inch snubbie.
Do you know the pressure rating? Would they handle hot loads?

Thanks a million.

JimL

·
Registered
6,761 Posts
One drawback that I heard on the 45 acp Trackers is that they couldn't use the 45 Auto Rim rounds.

45 Auto Rim was simply a 45 acp case with an external rim to eliminate the moon clips used on the Colt and Smith 1917 revolvers. The ballistics are the same as 45 acp.

Steelheart

·
Registered
37 Posts
I don't think I've seen anything in print stating the model 455 Tracker will handle +P loads, but if other modelTrackers in much higher pressure calibers can handle their basic pressure I would say the 455 can handle the slight pressure increase of the +P 45acp.

As many models and configurations as Taurus has manufactured just over the last few years I would bet before they start a new model run they have already decided how many units they are going to make of it.

·
Registered
6,761 Posts
I would conservatively put the 45acp Trackers in the limited diet of +P category. Yes, it could likely handle a steady diet but to be on the safe side....

Steelheart

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Steelheart said:
I would conservatively put the 45acp Trackers in the limited diet of +P category. Yes, it could likely handle a steady diet but to be on the safe side....

Steelheart
Hm, That's exactly what I would hope to avoid. I already have a Taurus auto 45 that was advertised as +P and carries a warning to the contrary. When I buy a gun I want it to be a little stronger than I need, not a little in the other direction.

Thanks a million

JimL

·
Registered
37 Posts
I don't ever plan on using +P ammo and my 45acp revolvers more than suit me.

I bought the 6'' to shoot a steady diet of light target 200gr lead semi wadcutter reloads I load myself to try and shoot smaller groups than my buddies at the range, and it does that.

And my 45acp snubbie I bought for carry when I have to go to Dallas on the weekends. I keep a Makarov in my work truck for everyday carry.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts