Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (explain)

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been reading some articles on self defense ammo lately. I've seen quite a few reccommendations for FMJ over JHP in .45 caliber. Just wondering what ya'll use.

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
i'd go with jhp's, one problem 45 use to have.. or maybe still does is expansion.. but i think thats been solved with newer bullet designs, if your gun will feed HP's then i dont see any reason to use FMJ for SD/HD.

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
230 gr JHP .45 Speer Gold Dots.

·
Registered
10,779 Posts
I use JHPs. If they expand, which is a pretty sure thing with modern designs, they make a larger hole, and destroy more tissue, organs, and structure. If they don't expand, they still bore the same hole, and have the same effect as the FMJ.

In the past, expansion was an iffy thing under some conditions. Since the development of the FBI testing criteria, that has been reduced significantly. Also, all FMJ is not created equal, and the velocities published show a variation of almost 100 fps between the high and low. That is also significant. I would recommend 230 gr. loads as a rule, but you need to find a load that you and, most importantly, your gun are satisfied with. Reliability trumps just about every other feature of self-defense ammo. ;)

·
Registered
147 Posts
If things work properly you will get less penetration with a hollow point which is what your looking for so as not to shoot straight through and possibly hit someone else behind them or in the next room, or next door. Most police that i know use hollow points for that very reason, plus the hollow points if they do their job make a much nastier wound.

I use mostly Federal premium Hydrashocks 200 gr or 230 gr

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I don't remember the name of the writer but he opposed JHPs. I would use the JHPs if I carried my 1911.

·
Registered
6,761 Posts
I voted for JHP and Other.

Back when I had a 45 I used 230gr Hydra-Shoks (still have some around too). I had total confidence that they'd perform if I did my part. I feel the same way about just about all US designed JHP's. Now I'd lean towards a Gold Dot.

My vote for Other covers EFMJ and Powerball. Yes, they can be classified as JHP's but some might not so they're covered as well.

I agree with what JR said, if a given JHP doesn't expand it will perform like FMJ at that point. But by choosing FMJ you give up all chance of expansion.

Steelheart

·
Administrator
35,633 Posts
I'd like to know which article anybody ever saw that recommended FMJ for self defense. Every credible article I've ever read extols the virtues of hollowpoints. The primary concern is over-penetration. Once you pull the trigger, you own that bullet until it comes to a complete stop. So, even if you had a justifiable shoot of a bad guy, you could still be liable for the 80 year old woman you hit that was standing 20 yards behind the bad guy. Hollowpoints expand, which slows down penetration, which makes it less likely that you will have this problem. Also, hollowpoints don't ricochet nearly as bad as FMJ.

I HAVE seen some old articles that recommended FMJ for 1911 pistols, but that was in the early 90's and was mainly because people didn't have polished feed ramps and throat jobs for their 1911's back then. FMJ was the only ammo that fed reliably in these guns.

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The article is new. I don't want to reference it now as I'm not sure which it is (I've read a lot a mags lately). I've got it at work so I'll make a note of it and post it next time I'm here.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
I would take HP for sure, unless we were talking about shooting targets hehind a cover or for bear defence etc. than I would want to get as much pemetration as possible and go with FMJ's.

btw 9mm HP (assuming it expands) will be more effective than .45FMJ ;)

·
Registered
497 Posts
Other.
Federal Premium Self Defense, EFMJ, (Expanding Full Metal Jacket) in 200 gr. +P. I also have a quantity of 165 gr, but I generally prefer a heavier bullet.

Count me among those who would like to see an article recommending FMJ. That goes against everything we've learned since the late 1800's.

·
Administrator
35,633 Posts
I don't really count EFMJ as a true FMJ, simply because it expands. I use these in my Keltec PF9, by the way, and they look like they are probably a top notch defense round, if everything you can read is true. :)

·
Registered
261 Posts
I load one mag with Federal Premium 230 JHP Hydra-shok for home self defence and one mag with Taurus HEX pure copper 185gr. .45 for when I will CC

·
Administrator
35,633 Posts
I'm not trying to be a smart-aleck, but I'm seriously curious - why do you carry two different ammos? Does one penetrate further than another, or is there some other reason to do this?

·
Registered
259 Posts
I'd have to see a really good argument for the FMJ's to change what I've heard from LE guys favoring HP's. Penetration past the target is the big concern and as an added bonus that expanding bullet expending more energy in the target and doing more damage to tissue is a good argument for the HP.

I have Corbonds in my PT1911 and 9mm High Power for under the pillow duty.

·
Registered
68 Posts
An ex-army fellow at work, mentioned what he called a combat load. 2 FMJ, 1 JHP, 2 FMJ, etc. any thoughts on this. I don't remmeber his reasoning right now. Seems like it had to with penetrating armor?

·
Administrator
35,633 Posts
What - two FMJ's to pierce the metal, then one right behind it to tear the guy up? I wish I was that good of a shot, where I could put three aimed shots in the same .45 cal diameter hole.........

·
Super Moderator
21,806 Posts
I use the Taurus copper 185 grain HP's these things are accurate and expand close to 1" and hit hard' a friend dug one out of a 300lb wild hog and it was fully expanded and looked just like they do on the box a large star they shoot the same bullet the barns bullet that Corbon DPX does at half the cost plus they are dead on out to 50 yards. And load well in my 1911.

For my 9mm I use Golden saber 124 grain they shoot point of aim as the wwb 115 grain FMJ's

The only time I'd use FMJ in my 45 is if it was all I had or I was useing it as a back up in bear country.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Well texastaurusguy to tell you the truth Ive always been told that The 185 gr. is a deeper penitrator because of its velocity, and there are many stories in the news paper of the bad guys here in Houston wearing soft body armor that they buy from the cartels. Number two is that i find that i can recover from the 185gr a bit quicker and get good placement. I load 230gr for home because they are less likly to over pen. and go thru walls. and I also like to have a Taurus gun with Taurus ammo, but no real big reason just a little habit I have. But i may switch when I start carrying right now I'm 120 days plus on my CHL app.

I almost forgot the HEX by Taurus is 99.95% copper and has a mean looking expansion close to the Federal LEO style one they make i forgot what there called but when they expand they look like a flower

·
Administrator
18,303 Posts
My current Defensive Munitions Inventory includes 185 grn JHP's in the Remington Gold Sabre and CCI Gold Dot brands. I have been shopping for the Federal 200 grn EFMJ, but no luck, locally.

As for feeding issues, most any Pistol can be made to feed modern JHP's. For those Pistols that cannot be made to feed JHPs', trade it off or restrict it to range plinking! Just my opinion! I made my Dad's old loose Colt 1911 (pre-1911A1) feed JHP's, so how hard can it be?

1 - 20 of 56 Posts