Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, Is there a company that can custom load some 45-70 for my lever gun. The available loads are tame to what the weapon is capable of. Wild West guns has a .50 caliber conversion but for $1500.00 plus that just isn't going to happen. The 45-70 has some room to grow, unfortunately I don't have the means to pursue reloading right now.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
3,749 Posts
What gun are you using and what type of ammunition are you wanting? More specifics needed.

·
Registered
36,032 Posts
I know of no comapny that will reload for a particular weapon, first is the liability of doing it, second would be the cost to set up for a very limited run of ammo.
I have had a couple of friends that had 45-70 and both reloaded to the guns potential, which was well above the factory loadings available.
Both weapons were Ruger #1 or RugeR #3 and plenty strong.
both reloaders even then slowly worked up hunting loads for each rifle, one was producing near 458 Win mag ballistics and this gun kicked like a mule as well.
I would think your best route would be to find a reloader that was experienced in the art and someone that would safely work up a load for you.
to honestly work a safe load the reloader would need the gun, unless you wanted to go with established ballistics.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
What gun are you using and what type of ammunition are you wanting? More specifics needed.
The Gun is a Marlin 1895gbl. I've shot it quite a bit and there is a much higher potential than what is available in retail ammo and still stay very accurate. The ammo is up for discussion with a re loader that is experienced in this matter. The recoil is not important. I shoot alot of Hornady leverevolution 325 gr.

·
Registered
3,749 Posts
There are several manufacturers that load hot 45-70 for what you want. There is even an outfit in Arizona that will take your gun and tailor the ammunition to the gun and end use as you specify. Pick up a copy of "RIFLE" magazine published by Wolfe Publishing in Prescott Az. and go thru the adds. You will find what you want. I load for my Ruger #1 in 45-70 and have helped develop loads for Marlin 45-70 rifles. It is not difficult and turns out to be fun before you ever achieve your guns potential.

It ain't gonna be cheap!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I found Buffalo Bore ammo has some nice ammo. I don't mind buying high dollar magnum ammo in small quantities as this is not something i shoot a lot but having ammo that is as capable as the gun is important to me.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
MadKaw I looked at their website it looks like a good round, but i want something a little hotter. I did find some websites but will have to call tomorrow for more info. I certainly can't afford a Wild West .50 cal conversion but something in between would be real nice. By the way you have my vote.

·
Registered
27,129 Posts
MadKaw I looked at their website it looks like a good round, but i want something a little hotter. I did find some websites but will have to call tomorrow for more info. I certainly can't afford a Wild West .50 cal conversion but something in between would be real nice. By the way you have my vote.
Thank you for your support!
I am afraid, however, that given our litigious society you will not find any commercial source loading beyond SAAMI specs.
Trapdoor Springfields are restricted to 18,000 psi
Marlins, et. al. can take up to around 28,000 psi
And Ruger MK 1 & 3 are good up to 40,000 psi

The hottest 300 gr. load my loading data shows for the Marlin is at 2,069 fps. So if you're looking for something significantly hotter than the Corbon, you're either looking for a marginal improvement, or you're looking to push your gun past it's capabilities.
BTW, you're on the steep part of the pressure curve here, even the MK 1 loads only go to 2,275 fps.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks I didn't know anything about him when i googled for 45-70 ammo. He's local for me, about 40 mins away. He also has what I'm looking for.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts