Taurus Firearm Forum banner

45-70 Powder Through Expanded Die Issue

821 views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  JohnCEa 
#1 ·
I've loaded with this die set a fair bit, and when I went to load some cowboy loads with Trailboss powder the bell produced at the case mouth is too large. The 300 grain LFN bullet wants to fall in instead of meeting some resistance a quarter inch down. I tried to start the adjustment anew, screwing the die down to the raised shell holder and then backing it off a half turn. Further opening is supposed to reduce the amount of bell, but no dice so far.

#3 ·
#5 ·
The powder die. Now that I think of it I am wondering if I full length resized or just ran them through the decapping die before tumbling . The tumbled and decapped case has the case mouth the diameterof the bullet.

#6 ·
The powder die. Now that I think of it I am wondering if I full length resized or just ran them through the decapping die before tumbling . The tumbled and decapped case has the case mouth the diameterof the bullet.
That would probably explain it. Can't hurt to resize them.

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk

#7 ·
I think you have found the problem. I have found that same problem, with other calibers. Another(?) trip through the resizing die usually solves the problem.
Usually I just toss those into the ‘needs prepped’ bucket and motor on.

Reactions: Czechbikr
#8 ·
I would pull the expander out and put a Mic on it to see what dimensions you're flaring the mouth to. I have the same die set and just grabbed a new Winchester case and the expander doesn't just drop in the case mouth. Also, what diameter projectiles are you using; .457's, .458's, .459's or .460's ?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.