Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't have one yet, but I'm about to pull the lever on my press and I was reading about the '3 sections' of load data for this cartridge. I know the differences and the why's. I plan to shoot this in a friends New England Firearms break action. I would think these would have a strong enough action to be able to handle the Ruger no.1 load data, but it's not on the list.

I'm just gonna go to the middle section and work up a load from those that will 'work in any modern firearm'. I'm mostly just curious now.

Could anyone enlighten me?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,699 Posts
I use 15 grains of Unique behind a 300 to 405 grain bullet through my NEF. It is a cast receiver and not very strong.
You can use factory loads through your friends NEF but stay away from +P type loads.
My Hornady manual recommends using trapdoor loads through everything except the 1895 Marlin, Ruger#1, Browning 78 and the Siamese Mauser.

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok, that's good to know, thank you!
Absolutely not going for +p, just plinking.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I have several 45/xxx, all of them I shoot Blackpowder in them. I use a drop tube. The cartridge was designed for BP. so....

·
Super Moderator
17,735 Posts
I use 15 grains of Unique behind a 300 to 405 grain bullet through my NEF. It is a cast receiver and not very strong.
You can use factory loads through your friends NEF but stay away from +P type loads.
My Hornady manual recommends using trapdoor loads through everything except the 1895 Marlin, Ruger#1, Browning 78 and the Siamese Mauser.
I'd bet money the Ruger #1 also has a cast receiver, as investment casting is pretty much Ruger's thing. But the falling block design would be stronger than the break-open design. Plus Ruger is really, really good at what they do. The #1 may be the strongest action built.

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have several 45/xxx, all of them I shoot Blackpowder in them. I use a drop tube. The cartridge was designed for BP. so....
There's a thought. Don't have any cast bullets though.

·
Registered
3,380 Posts
Have shot 45/70 for years in everything from the old blackpowder rolling blocks and trapdoor to the Rugers. Also shoot in Contenders that are smaller and not as heavy made as the H&R type single shots. The loads for the old black powder type guns have more than enough energy for deer and hogs. You will find an abundance of load data between the Ruger number one loads and blackpowder loads. Because there are Ruger #1 loads that push the limits I don't use them in even a number one. Hodgdon and Accurate both have great load data for a wide range of bullets jacketed and cast. The 250 to 350 grain bullets can be loaded to respectable velocities and trajectory for the old round. My favorite 45/70 for years was BFR with 10" barrel. Have fun

·
Registered
7,681 Posts
I love the 45 70 caliber and have been shooting it for many years. I've owned Marlins, Ruger's, Trapdoors and Falling Block. Remington's and an H&R. I am currently shooting a Browning 1885 Hi Wall built by Muriku, Japan. Love this rifle as I shoot BP and Smokeless, Cast and Jacketed and it does an exceptional job with all. Don't confuse the H&R's break action with the Ruger's falling block as the H&R is not as strong as the Ruger or the Marlin. You can get good accuracy from the break action because you can seat the bullet out beyond what a lever action can handle. They are strong actions but I would not load above the lower loads for the Marlin data.

Reactions: stupimlico

·
Super Moderator
37,220 Posts
I started loaded 45-70 for my Springfield Trapdoor early this year. I've done 300 and 405 grain LFN from this source, a small bullet casting outfit in IL.

GARDNERS CACHE'

·
Super Moderator
37,220 Posts
Wow, those are great prices! How's shipping?

He will combine product for shipping to a max of 4 boxes IIRC.. delivery maybe a week or so. I buy my 32 Winchester FNGC bullets from him also. I've used IMR 3031 for some loads.

·
Registered
36,775 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts