Votes: 15 45.5%
  • About equal amounts of both

Votes: 6 18.2%
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
4,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A question for all of you owners of any variation of 45lc/.410 firearms.
After you got your gun, after you shot a few of each type of round, which round do you shoot more of?

·
Registered
4,778 Posts
I haven't shot it since the first week of testing it.

I expect to use it at close range if ever needed.

·
Registered
4,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Is it more fun to shoot, is it cheaper, is it more readily available?

·
Registered
144 Posts
Is it more fun to shoot, is it cheaper, is it more readily available?
Yes, yes, and yes. It's cheaper, a wide variety is more readily available, and it's more fun to shoot.

.45 LC is pretty expensive. It's readily available, but it usually costs more than .410 and there usually isn't as wide a variety. It's also fun to shoot, but not as fun as the .410, for me at least.

·
Super Moderator
35,283 Posts
The only real reason I use it is for fun with the .410. It makes a pretty mundane .45 Colt, though it can be loaded to .44 magnum levels, but it's not real accurate with all that free bore and it leads with lead bullets pretty bad because of that, also. With the choke on, which you have to use with .410 to keep from messing up the threads, it'll shoot 20 yards pretty effectively. Shooting nuisance birds like starlings is fun with it or informal trap, but you have to be REAL quick. Yes, it's challenging. :D

Really, I don't shoot that barrel much at all anymore, haven't in at least 10 years. The gun wears its scoped 10" .22 barrel at the moment. I have 4 barrels for it, the .22, the .410/.45 Colt, a scoped .30-30 12" compensated "hunter" barrel (for deer hunting), and a 7mm TCU barrel I shot IHMSA with for a while.

I handload, so cost isn't a problem.

Reactions: Sekol

·
Registered
3,034 Posts
I reload .45Colt so it's cheaper to shoot that. If only they sold a $25 "Value Pack" of 410 shells like they do 12s and 20s. The best I've seen for 410 shells is about $11 for a 25 box. Buckshot is a buck a pop, plus, anywhere around here.

·
Premium Member
16,955 Posts
I use 410 shells to shoot at tree rats inside our barn....

·
Super Moderator
35,283 Posts
I buy lots of 20 and 12, but it's been so long since I bought .410, I haven't kept up with the price. It's another reason I don't shoot .410 much, though. And, heck, my little Spartan 20 gauge coach gun is actually useful afield and ain't that much heavier or bulkier to carry afield on a sling. I've taken a LOT of game with that little shotgun, from doves to ducks to snakes to squirrels to rabbits to a deer last year with 3 buck. :D Talk about versatility! :D It doesn't get any more in the way carrying it muzzle down on a sling on my off shoulder than does that Contender in a shoulder holster and it's one HELL of a lot more effective.

I could sell or trade that .410/.45 Colt barrel and wouldn't miss it. I thought it would be useful when I bought it. Live and learn.

Reactions: TheOldRedneck

·
Registered
863 Posts
I haven't shot it since the first week of testing it.

I expect to use it at close range if ever needed.
I don't take the Judge out very often, maybe once or twice a year. Usually only when I'm bringing someone to the range that has not shot it. If I do take it for me, it is generally 45 LC. I reload for it so it's not terribly expensive. As you said, close range is what it's for, not a ton of fun target shooting. It is a firearm that will always be in my safe, but not taken out much.

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
i shoot 45 LC more because i have to shoot at indoor ranges, most of which around here don't allow shot, only slugs. .410 Birdshot is very cheap though. LC is pretty expensive

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
.45colt. I want to "make" some brass for reloading it. .410 is only for PD or letting someone shoot it for the 1st time.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Definitely .410 for me.

·
Registered
880 Posts
i reload 45 colt so i shoot it all the time. I use the federal 410 000 buck SD so not much. Once i set up to reload 410 i will be getting more fun from the 410 but primarily 45 colt.

·
Registered
19,179 Posts
I do .410 almost exclusively, the .45s don't really shoot well from my Judge Mag. Pity, 'coz I ran across some el cheapo cowboy loads that worked out to be a li'l cheaper than .410s, per round. They shot as well as any of the high-priced ammo, too. I practice with Federal 2 1/2" 000 Buck but carry it with Winchester 5-pellet 3" 000 Buck (1135 fps). I tried all the novelty rounds but wasn't impressed with any of 'em. I keep some #4 Buck for varmints and snakes and I have some old hunting stash of #6 shot, that I use on grasshoppers :)unsure: If you've ever seen H.G. Wells' "The First Men In The Moon", you'll understand why). For single projectile, the Winchester 1/4 oz rifled slugs are the best outa' my Mag...the 1/5 oz are a close second and both were way more accurate/consistent than the LCs. I usually have a box (5 rds) of the 1/4 RS in my pocket, even when I carry it loaded with 000 Buck. The rifled slugs are by far my favorite to shoot.

·
Registered
8,061 Posts
Even though I love shooting .45LC, I shoot more .410 out of my Judge. It is cheaper than .45LC
since I don't reload and I love the effect it has on targets.

·
Super Moderator
40,613 Posts
I shoot .45 colt more only because I can reload it on the cheap. I like shooting .410 better, especially #000 Buck.

Reactions: kschilk

·
Registered
693 Posts
We talking about the Judge correct? Or 45/410 in any weapon ? For me .410 is much more destructive and fun to shoot, especially now with all the new defensive offerings on the market, reason I ask notice Native Texan comment, he was always negative on the judge as a viable useful handgun, wondering whether he is a convert or did I read his post incorrectly ....

1 - 20 of 29 Posts