Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i also picked up a nice open/sight, s/s 3" model 431,,but have ?? about the front sight on mine ,,seems to be an incert instead of being a solid part of the barrel ,also has square but to it .any ideas ?? 1029111935.jpg

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
Okay 431 experts, time to let us know if Taurus ever did a dovetailed front sight on the 431! It may be aftermarket, but even so, I would consider it to be a superior front sight to the normal integral one.

·
Super Moderator
17,735 Posts

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
that is not dove-tailed ,,might be paint or shadows,,i think?
Possible I suppose. Perhaps it is pinned on like glen's Rossi pic, although I can't see the pin. I looked at the sight again though. If is is paint, it must have been a sloppy black application because it looks for all the world like a cutout that would fit a dovetail sight. What say you joce?

·
Registered
5,492 Posts
I have a blued one and would LOVE to have that in stainless.Very nice indeed.

·
Administrator
35,532 Posts
Definitely modified. The 431 was only made with fixed sights, the front one being a metal fin ala S&W fixed sight guns. The 441 had the adjustable sights but I believe the front sight was also a 'fin'.

That looks like it's been done by a gunsmith. I'd love to see a picture of the top of the barrel and see how he put it in. Looks great from the side view.

·
Administrator
35,532 Posts
Man, I like that a whole lot. Not sure how much it cost, but to me it was worth it. You could now put in a tritium front sight, or a fiber sight, or anything you wanted.

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
Ha Ha! I knew I was right! It's dovetailed!!! Thanks for the pic joce! Does that mean I win a prize? :D I tell you joce, that modification made to your .44 makes a great revolver a whole lot better -- you made an excellent purchase!

·
Registered
34,139 Posts
Joce, can you give us a close up of the medallion in the wood grip?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
hope this works ,,if not i'll do it when i get home,,
hope this is good ,,if not i'll take one when i get home photo431large.JPG

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
thinking about a TYLER'S Grip for this ,,,what about it ,,and which size do i get ,,having a problem with the fram size ,,compared to smith what is it ,,L-K-J ect.....

·
Registered
34,139 Posts
hope this works ,,if not i'll do it when i get home,,
hope this is good ,,if not i'll take one when i get home View attachment 25042

Yup that works. Thanks. I couldn't tell which Taurus logo that was from the other pictures. I thought it might be one of the old ones but it's not. I'd say that front sight happened one of two ways. It was either done by a gunsmith after purchase by the original owner, or it may have been part of a special order by one of Taurus's distributors, like TALO Distributors. They sometimes order a run of guns with special features not normally offered by the manufacturer. They usually have to buy these in lots of 50 or more.

At any rate it is a very nice upgrade to an already nice revolver!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts