Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for a steel framed revolver, I'm going to be shooting mostly 44spl. I've got a taurus 85, and love it. Great gun out of the box. Anyone have a snubbie, in 44 that can offer a review/advice? Which model number, etc, and is the porting that important?

James

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That looks to be the 4", I'm wondering if anyone has experience with the 2 or 3" models. The Mountain Gun, 6 shot steel looks pretty amazing.

James

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Looks like there's one locally also. I'll have to check that one out. The sights look a little odd though. Anyone use those Fiber Optics before?

James

·
Registered
178 Posts
Mohsard, I don't know of a 2" .44 Special now being offered, but there are some older Taurus's out there on the used market. From what I have seen of them they would be good guns. You could always get one of the S&Ws short bbl guns, but they are on the N frame. The Charter Bulldog is offered, but it's a small frame & I think made to be carried a lot & shot a little. I think if you can find one on the used market you probably should get it. Frank

·
Administrator
35,733 Posts
Mohshard, are you just going to do casual shooting with your 44 mag, or would you plan on taking it into bear country? The Tracker is a great value if you're just wanting to shoot typical 44 magnum and 44 special loads.....but the cylinder is a hair shorter than most 44 magnum revolvers, and it will not take the longer, heavier full power magnum ammo - for example, the Oregon Trail 310 grain, Buffalo Bore in any of the 300/305/340 grain bullets, and a few others. It's just something to keep in mind with the Tracker - very nice gun but not for big game shooting.

Here is a picture of the Buffalo Bore ammo, note how long the bullet is....shooting this will definitely get your attention.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have the tracker in 44mag w/a 2 1/2 inch barrel (or something like that). It's a great revolver, I bought it along with a PT1911 at a gun show for $330. I like the fiber optic front site. it will shoot standard 240gr 44mag loads fine (though it's a tad "brisk") and handle all the 44spec loads I have put in it.
It will be one of my carry guns with 200grain gold dots, as soon as I can find a decent holster for it.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I've been canvassing the local shops, internet gun sites, and the auction sites, no luck. Found a blued 431 with a 4" barrel locally, I'll buy that one to tide me over until I can find the one I'm looking for.

Actually found one of the 2" 45LC stainless ported tracker in a local shop. That is a very light gun. If anyone here is interested, I'll PM the information your way. If anyone has a line on a 431 or 441, let me know.

Thanks.

·
Registered
5,205 Posts
texastaurusguy said:
Mohshard, are you just going to do casual shooting with your 44 mag, or would you plan on taking it into bear country? The Tracker is a great value if you're just wanting to shoot typical 44 magnum and 44 special loads.....but the cylinder is a hair shorter than most 44 magnum revolvers, and it will not take the longer, heavier full power magnum ammo - for example, the Oregon Trail 310 grain, Buffalo Bore in any of the 300/305/340 grain bullets, and a few others. It's just something to keep in mind with the Tracker - very nice gun but not for big game shooting.

Here is a picture of the Buffalo Bore ammo, note how long the bullet is....shooting this will definitely get your attention.

now that is a bullet!!!! :mad: :mad: :mad:

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
Heaviest load I got into my .44 Mag Tracker was a 255-grain Keith gas-check from Buffalo Bore. (And it barely left clearance at the front of the cylinder)

·
Registered
275 Posts
Great revolver the Tracker .44 magnum, but my advice would be to NOT shoot .44 specials in it.

Unless you are really into cleaning crud off the cylinder bullet jump at their throats, you will accumulated a build up of sludge that can cause serious problems.

This from my own experience...but a lot guys say just the opposite.

TB C45

·
Registered
25 Posts
Has anyone had any experience with the 2" Tracker in the ported verses non ported. I was thinking of one of these for use with specials. And the added benifit of the magnum doesn't hurt either.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Tracker Backer can you elaborate on the use of the 44 special vs. Mag ammo through the Tracker? I'm going to be purchasing the M44 SS 4" version shortly.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Its the cleaning of cylinder throat jumps, the .44 special is 1/10" shorter than the .44 magnum cartridge case. Shooting .44 specials in .44 magnum revolvers is pain in the butt for me.

My guns get really dirty when shooting Unique, bullseye, or other dirty powders and the crummy lube I use on my bullets. This sooty mess of burnt powder, unburnt powder and lube gunk, really fowls a 1/10 bullet jump in the .44 magnum's cylinder chambers.

But there are some who don't care and gladly try and clean the mess perhaps hap hazardously, until the next time they try to chamber a .44 magnum round and it won't seat all the way in the cylinder chamber...that's why...but that's just me.

I buy a gun for the caliber it's designated to chamber and shoot. I also own .44 spl., .44 magnum (of which I never shoot anymore) and .45 Colt. Those are my principal revolvers of choice.

TB C45

·
Registered
73 Posts
If not using cowboy rounds and shooting factory ammo is it still a big enough deal to worry about?

·
Registered
275 Posts
My answer is strickly from a biaised position of not liking to clean cylinder throats, there are plenty of people who don't mind doing it...I'm just not one that does.

If you shot a lot of those .44 spl. loads in a .44 magnum, you're bound to induce some wear on the throats sooner or later...depending on your method of what you use to remove the crud build up there.

Its really just a matter of are you willing to keep your cylinder throats clean after shooting.

Good luck in what you decide.

TB C45

1 - 20 of 54 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.