Taurus Firearm Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Purchased a used bullet proof vest from Sportsmans Guide very recently, and put it through some tests; initially I started out light - with a .38 special derringer. But I raised the bar each time until it reached the 444 - my best handgun. In complete honesty, there was a label on the vest clearly stating that it was an old vest and would not protect a person if shot. I paid 67 dollars for the Kevlar vest.

· Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

I shot it twice at point blank distance with the .38 special. A derringer is useless for anything other than point blank shooting - where it can be a game changer. I like to carry it as a backup because it is so easy to conceal.

· Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
For the modeerators

This new thread is about my 444, although it may not seem like it, at first. Is not a gear test, or an evaluation of other handguns, the 444 will subordinate all of these other random factors...

· Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
This is my 444, with which the final vest test will be performed. But that will come later, after I shoot the vest some more with other calibers - the more common and popular ones, like the .380 auto, which is carried by so many.

· Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
In this test, I use .380 personal defense frangible high dollar rounds against the vest; I shoot it three times. As a delivery platform I use a 9x18mm Makarov. Mine shoots 380s just fine. But don't shoot 9x18s through a Makarov chambered for .380, or it will blow up in your hand, and you will become one of Jerry's Kids...

· Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I had second thoughts about shooting the vest with these, because I was impressed with the vest, it kept defeating everything I shot it with. Despite better judgement, I shot it five times at point blank range. I apologize for my wife's finger partially blocking the aperature.

· Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
No exit holes. The vest wins again. Now, bear in mind this is a used 67 dollar vest from Sportsmans Guide. This was money well spent, and I endorse Kevlar vests now, despite it being so light. I think one of these could save a person's life.

· Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Intend to post the results tomorrow of the vest test, in which I shoot it six times with the 444, .44 magnum from about 50 or so feet. There is no finer steel made, than that of a Taurus.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.